Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB vs Michigan State - 12/28/19 @ 6:00 ET

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

She reminds me of Megan Gustafson at Iowa and the impact she's had on that program.

I was thinking that and Holmes only a freshman. If she keeps this up and becomes anything close to Gustafson she will be the best player in program history bar none (yes better than Buss).

What a second half. Like I said these 5* freshman are going to be special. Homes especially has chance to be one of top IU players ever and certainly best big ever. Even Allen though was big with a couple baskets when Holmes out.

MSU is decent and we schooled them in second half. That second half was best half of ball for IU since Virgin Islands in my mind. If that team shows up from second half most of Big Ten play we will be special and compete for conference title. First half IU can't show up to much though or we are a fringe tourney mid-pack team.

Nice win and way to open Big Ten play.  

In the second half we saw the team we expected to see from the opening tip and our Hoosiers come away with a 79-67 win over Michigan State.  Patberg 23 pts; Holmes 18; Berger 16; Gulbe 11.  Holmes 6 reb; Patberg 7; Berger & Gulbe 4 each.  Penn & Patberg 4 assists each.  We offset a 6 3-point shot advantage by MSU by hitting 62% FG and holding MSU to 36%.   Freshman Jorie Allen fouled out in 17 min. of action but while in the game she had 4 pts., 3 reb. and a blocked shot.

Hard to believe we out-rebounded them! First half, they killed us. Wise and Penn never got going but their teammates were there to take over. Bendu looked a little rusty still but you can see that she’ll be back soon. Allen will be something special (the ref w the ponytail seemed to have a vendetta against her). Berger is solid and quick. Ali is Ali, emotional leader and so good.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

In some ways, I enjoy the women's games more than the men's. It doesn't put me in a bad mood when they lose, they don't seem to make nearly as many mistakes, and the word "unacceptable" isn't constantly being thrown around after a close win. 

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is a good team. Nice pieces. Some good young talent. Iuwbb appears to be in a good place. emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Indeed and most of the team is set to come back.  Brenna Wise is done, unfortunately, but Patberg has one more since NCAA granted her petition for a 6th year.

Patberg is definitely a vocal leader, you can see her talking during every play stoppage and she can get pretty animated.

Indiana Women's Basketball freshman forward Mackenzie Holmes has been named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week after an impressive league debut against Michigan State on Saturday.

The Gorham, Maine native scored 18 points and went 7-for-8 from the floor in 20 minutes of work against the Spartans. She scored nine of her 18 points in the third quarter where she went 4-for-4 from the field and had a stretch where she scored nine of 11 points for Indiana to take a five-point lead. Holmes scored 12 of her 18 points in the second half and went 4-for-5 at the line for the game and added a block.

She is now shooting 67-of-94 (71.3 percent) from the field for the season which is second in the nation and has scored in double-figures in four of her last five games and nine times overall. This is her second Freshman of the Week honor after winning it in week one of the season after averaging 18.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in her first two collegiate games against Mt. St. Mary's and Nicholls State.  

In addition, redshirt junior guard Ali Patberg was also named to the league's Player of the Week honor roll after leading with a game-high 23 points, eight rebounds and four assists against Michigan State.

Up next, the Hoosiers travel to Rutgers for New Year's Eve. Tipoff is set for 3 p.m. on Big Ten Network.