Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

IU/Kentucky

Starting a separate thread to get it away from the Notre Dame game thread.

IMO, IU should wait until Cal leaves before we look to get back in the series.....no need to let him dictate the terms a series that he isn't going to be around for.  There is some dissatisfaction there -- I think UK fans were mentally counted the number of championships in their heads when he first came on board and now after ten years they've had one and one final four in the last eight years.  That's certainly good by any measure, but UK is still a blue blood and their fans aren't happy about having a top one or two class every year and not seeing those kind of results.

Cal isn't in danger of getting fired, but he's a guy who has always left before the **** was about to hit.  And I think his narrative is that he still wants another crack at the one place he failed -- the NBA.

Anyone, a UK/IU series to me doesn't draw the same interest to me with UK's continual year in and year out shuffling of players who turn pro after a year.......it's hard to get good storylines when the faces change every year.

They should play and Cal acting like UK operates under some new paradigm is pathetic. Still, I'm kinda glad they haven't played the last several years since IU likely would have gotten drilled every time except 2015 when we got them in the tourney the following spring anyway. 

Wasn't IU's last offer to play home & home and 2 neutral sites every four years? That is very reasonable, but you're right, likely gonna have wait until Cal has snuck out of town some dark night a step ahead of the FBI/NCAA/Mob/North Koreans, etc

4 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

They should play and Cal acting like UK operates under some new paradigm is pathetic. Still, I'm kinda glad they haven't played the last several years since IU likely would have gotten drilled every time except 2015 when we got them in the tourney the following spring anyway. 

Wasn't IU's last offer to play home & home and 2 neutral sites every four years? That is very reasonable, but you're right, likely gonna have wait until Cal has snuck out of town some dark night a step ahead of the FBI/NCAA/Mob/North Koreans, etc

Contracts are a two way street, negotiations and agreements on both sides.

pUKe doesn't want that, and as you stated we tried.

5 hours ago, Iugradman said:

IU played Kentucky at neutral sites for over a decade. I see nothing wrong with going back to that set up. Rotate it between Lucas Oil and the YUM! Center.

Right, but didn't we come back with that proposal and Cal still said no because "they already had Portland scheduled"?They just don't want to play us because they feel they have nothing to win, but everything to lose. F em, happy to be the ones to take them out of the NCAA, again. 

Just play the game. Doesn’t matter where in the world they play. Just play. Except for outside... no more playing outside. That’s my one exception.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I disagree. I'm not a fan of neutral site games except in a tournament or showcase setting. The games should be played on campus(or nearby) so the students of that college can attend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Iugradman said:

IU played Kentucky at neutral sites for over a decade. I see nothing wrong with going back to that set up. Rotate it between Lucas Oil and the YUM! Center.

Neutral site games are trash. There’s no Wat Shot magic if it’s played in Lucas Oil. 

Happy to mix in a neutral site game when you make it a unique and exciting location - an hour up the road from your campus is just pointless. 

Even playing it in some tiny historic high school gym would be a cool event. 

On 12/24/2019 at 5:16 PM, Iugradman said:

Can't use YUM!

We could use Freedom Hall if you are advocating putting it in Louisville but that was a point of contention when UofL moved into their own building.

Neutral site games are trash. There’s no Wat Shot magic if it’s played in Lucas Oil. 

Happy to mix in a neutral site game when you make it a unique and exciting location - an hour up the road from your campus is just pointless. 

The could literally be anywhere. I don’t think a single venue is going to deny having an IU-UK game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm getting to the point where I'd be happy to never play Kentucky in anything ever again. Yes, beating them 2/3 times the last few meetings was cool, but I'm just sick of hearing about them, even in reference to us. There are other big teams it would be way more interesting to play than a team who steamrolls their football conference every year and gets a high seeding because of it in March. 

It's exhausting being an IU fan in Louisville. 

14 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

I'm getting to the point where I'd be happy to never play Kentucky in anything ever again. Yes, beating them 2/3 times the last few meetings was cool, but I'm just sick of hearing about them, even in reference to us. There are other big teams it would be way more interesting to play than a team who steamrolls their football conference every year and gets a high seeding because of it in March. 

It's exhausting being an IU fan in Louisville. 

Not easy living in enemy territory. Stay strong brother, stay strong. 

On 12/25/2019 at 1:20 PM, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I used to feel that way, but having IU/UK anywhere could draw well over 20,000 people, especially if it's in Indy or Chicago.  That would be a great neutral court environment.

But to the point of the thread, we don't necessarily need to play UK.  Just need to play some big name school like KU, UNC, or UL.

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

I used to feel that way, but having IU/UK anywhere could draw well over 20,000 people, especially if it's in Indy or Chicago.  That would be a great neutral court environment.

But to the point of the thread, we don't necessarily need to play UK.  Just need to play some big name school like KU, UNC, or UL.

I'm absolutely in favor of playing Kansas or having another UofL game every year, especially a team like Kansas who thinks their basketball traditions run so much deeper than ours.

pUKe will clearly be off the table for the rest of Cryin' Cal's tenure there so let's move on already. Screw 'em.

I'm absolutely in favor of playing Kansas or having another UofL game every year, especially a team like Kansas who thinks their basketball traditions run so much deeper than ours.
pUKe will clearly be off the table for the rest of Cryin' Cal's tenure there so let's move on already. Screw 'em.

I’d love to see a marquee home and home to offset the Big Ten - ACC Challenge. That’s give us a good home and away matchup every season along with a solid neutral site game at the Crossroads Classic. Every other year we’d have a Big East opponent in the Gavitt Tip-off games. That’s allow us to play in an early season tourney too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app