Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU vs Notre Dame 12/21 Noon ESPN

54 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'll never understand posters who lob insults at people who they disagree with.  That only shows pettiness.

It's possible to debate without belittling the other side.  It's possible to disagree without insulting.  Name calling to me shows an inherent lack of intelligence.

Thats just Old Friend. He is a common denominator of problems on the board. The bigger problem is mods that allow it.

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That's a reach. We are getting soft as a society if knucklehead hurts feelings

I don't believe anybody's feelings were hurt.  If so, you're right.

My point was the condescending tone and attempt to belittle posters who you disagree with. 

11 hours ago, mamasa said:

What’s the issue with the Classic?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I like the fact that it gives IU a strong non-conference game on a neutral site. I also like that its a neutral site game in December, while the students are not on campus. I also like that IU Purdue, Butler, and ND fans all get a chance to see each other play in Indy. I went to the game this year, btw.

I don't like the IU is the biggest draw, yet we may only get an even split of the $$. I also don't like that it limits IU's ability to schedule. It seems like all the positives are also benefit every other program in the classic. 

Honestly the 3 of the best games IU's played in the last 11 years have been the games against UK. I would be complaining less if we still played UK. and I think  as an AD if your options are to play UK on a neutral site or not play at all, you play them on the moon if you have to.

3 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I like the fact that it gives IU a strong non-conference game on a neutral site. I also like that its a neutral site game in December, while the students are not on campus. I also like that IU Purdue, Butler, and ND fans all get a chance to see each other play in Indy. I went to the game this year, btw.

I don't like the IU is the biggest draw, yet we may only get an even split of the $$. I also don't like that it limits IU's ability to schedule. It seems like all the positives are also benefit every other program in the classic. 

Honestly the 3 of the best games IU's played in the last 11 years have been the games against UK. I would be complaining less if we still played UK. and I think  as an AD if your options are to play UK on a neutral site or not play at all, you play them on the moon if you have to.

Appreciate the answer- makes sense.

Would it bother you if Kentucky is taking a larger cut than us in spite of making the concessions we would have to so we can make it happen. If we are on our home floor we don’t have to make those concessions. On a neutral court we would. We don’t often hear that stuff because we make enough money. But since it’s an issue with the Classic I am honestly curious.

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Would it bother you if Kentucky is taking a larger cut than us in spite of making the concessions we would have to so we can make it happen. If we are on our home floor we don’t have to make those concessions. On a neutral court we would. We don’t often hear that stuff because we make enough money. But since it’s an issue with the Classic I am honestly curious.

I mean you weigh the costs vs. benefits. To me UK is a much bigger rivalry than PU. Again I think  3 of IU's top 5 best/ most exciting games over the last 11 years have been against UK. I think the national exposure, fan engagement, ability to play a rivalry game, chance to beat UK, improvement of the SOS, and its impact on our NCAA seeding, etc. far outweigh the monetary concessions given up for playing at a neutral site. 

The NCAA seems to put IU and UK in the same bracket in the tournament every year we've made it and will continue to do so. I know that if we play during the regular season, it limits which round IU can face UK (at least I think).

The rumor on campus of why we got rid of the IU UK game was because UK wanted to play at Lucas Oil and IU didn't want to give UK the national exposure and in-state exposure to potential recruits, which is short sighted, like how did we have so little faith in our program at that time that we were scared of UK. 

28 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I mean you weigh the costs vs. benefits. To me UK is a much bigger rivalry than PU. Again I think  3 of IU's top 5 best/ most exciting games over the last 11 years have been against UK. I think the national exposure, fan engagement, ability to play a rivalry game, chance to beat UK, improvement of the SOS, and its impact on our NCAA seeding, etc. far outweigh the monetary concessions given up for playing at a neutral site. 

The NCAA seems to put IU and UK in the same bracket in the tournament every year we've made it and will continue to do so. I know that if we play during the regular season, it limits which round IU can face UK (at least I think).

The rumor on campus of why we got rid of the IU UK game was because UK wanted to play at Lucas Oil and IU didn't want to give UK the national exposure and in-state exposure to potential recruits, which is short sighted, like how did we have so little faith in our program at that time that we were scared of UK. 

UK didnt outnumber us at those neutral site games I attended.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I'll never understand posters who lob insults at people who they disagree with.  That only shows pettiness.

It's possible to debate without belittling the other side.  It's possible to disagree without insulting.  Name calling to me shows an inherent lack of intelligence.

You’ve lobbed a few yourself. There are some on this board that have earned it.  

I mean you weigh the costs vs. benefits. To me UK is a much bigger rivalry than PU. Again I think  3 of IU's top 5 best/ most exciting games over the last 11 years have been against UK. I think the national exposure, fan engagement, ability to play a rivalry game, chance to beat UK, improvement of the SOS, and its impact on our NCAA seeding, etc. far outweigh the monetary concessions given up for playing at a neutral site.  The NCAA seems to put IU and UK in the same bracket in the tournament every year we've made it and will continue to do so. I know that if we play during the regular season, it limits which round IU can face UK (at least I think).  

Nobody outside of Southern Indiana fans remotely think IU vs UK is bigger than IU vs PU. It’s UK vs UL. It’s IU vs PU. The whole neutral site thing was a Calipari/recruiting thing. At that time he was coming into this state every year. He didn’t want them to come watch IU vs UK in AH. We offered a home and home, along with neutral/neutral for a four year cycle. Shortsighted? I personally don’t think so. But I have seen this song and dance play out a few times over with Kentucky in my life. We will be playing them again soon when Cal leaves.  

Edit: I absolutely think we should play them too every year. But at some point you have to compromise. UK was never willing to do that. We offered. They still somehow manage to play other teams on the road. We will play them again at some point.

Nobody outside of Southern Indiana fans remotely think IU vs UK is bigger than IU vs PU. It’s UK vs UL. It’s IU vs PU. The whole neutral site thing was a Calipari/recruiting thing. At that time he was coming into this state every year. He didn’t want them to come watch IU vs UK in AH. We offered a home and home, along with neutral/neutral for a four year cycle. Shortsighted? I personally don’t think so. But I have seen this song and dance play out many a few times over with Kentucky in my life. We will be playing them again soon when Cal leaves.  
Edit: I absolutely think we should play them too every year. But at some point you have to compromise. UK was never willing to do that. We offered. They still somehow manage to play other teams on the road. We will play them again at some point.

So you have a problem with playing Kentucky at a neutral site for recruiting reasons? Because it’s really hurt them getting recruits over us right? Lyles and Brooks both? Even Mulder who would have been a JUCO from Vincennes. That means nothing. The game needs played, doesn’t matter where it is. If they want to play the recruiting game here in Indiana, sounds like we need to step up our game and beat them at it. You sound scared.

17 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

A decade ago. Players now were like 11 years old. Probably don’t even remember it happening at the time.

This is a pretty ironic statement considering the state of our program. 

Butler has probably been the most consistently relevant team in the state the last 15 years