Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU vs Notre Dame 12/21 Noon ESPN

Frankly, I like it.  Just kind of wish there was a little more variety in the teams we play.
As is though the team still gets more from playing ND or Butler then the SCLSU MudDogs.

Or add Kentucky, North Carolina, Arizona, Oregon etc and just make the Notre Dame game annual and push it to where we play Arky this season. I don’t care to play Butler. They are have a more annoying little brother attitude than Purdont.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Or add Kentucky, North Carolina, Arizona, Oregon etc and just make the Notre Dame game annual and push it to where we play Arky this season. I don’t care to play Butler. They are have a more annoying little brother attitude than Purdont.

Older brother doesn’t run away from the chance to beat up on Little Bro

6 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Did anyone catch the dig at our schedule in the second half? Our noncon isn’t great (KenPom 268) but Notre Dames is (345). Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A LOT of the ACC has complete trash strength of schedules — but, you hear nothing about it on the ESPN/ACC Network. Love seeing the ESPN chosen teams keep losing!  They will get worse tilting toward ACC propaganda, before they get better. All about the $$$!!

Neither is without faults.  I just don't trust Green.  Archie is getting paid big bucks to figure out the problem.  All we can do is have opinions.  I thought the last play of the game yesterday said volumes.  See if you can find a replay.  Ball goes through the post to Jackson-Davis, who is promptly double teamed.  He pivots and passes the ball to Durham, who is midway between Franklin in the corner and Green, open at the top of the key.  A ND player is trying to close on Durham, who instantly passes the ball to Franklin for the winning shot.  He could have gone to Green also but he didn't.  Imagine for a second that Green and Durham are reversed and the ball goes to Green,  Does he make the pass to an open man, or does he force a shot, or does he put the ball on the floor and drive into the lane and shoot his "floater"?  Me may have still won the game and Green would have been the hero instead of Franklin.  Or we may have lost.  What I have little doubt of is that in that scenario Green does not pass the ball.  There is the difference.  I think Durham plays for the team, and after over three years of watching, I think Green plays for himself.  Do I wish Durham had Green's talent?  You betcha.  Do I wish Green were more aware that there is no I in TEAM?  Without a doubt.

I actually thought that was a bad pass. Worked out, but Durham was more open than Franklin was. To me that pass showed that Franklin isn't confident in his shot. Green would have shot that ball. It was wide open. Either way I'm glad it got to Franklin and he made it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the point above, we’ve had a lot of different leading scorers this season. I believe it’s six different players overall (Franklin, Jackson-Davis, Green, Durham, Smith, and Brunk).

In games against power whatever teams we’ve had a different leading scorer each game.

Notre Dame - Franklin (17)
UConn - Brunk, Durham (9 each)
Nebraska - Jackson-Davis (25)
Wiscy - Durham (17)
FSU - Green (30)

I know you had a very long and insightful post, and I generally agree with you on most points, however, I wanted to single out the following line above. I’m not sure if you are on of those people who believe the games shouldn’t be as close as they are, and that’s not the point of my post. My point is that Vegas, who typically knows what they are talking about or else they wouldn’t be making money the way they do, have had most of these close wins as exactly that...close games.

V UCONN—spread was around 2. We won by 3.
V ND—spread was around 3, we won by 2.

Nebraska is an outlier and they have proven to gel together and be a better team as of late than most expected. And every other game, sans Wiscy, we won by double digits. So, this is just one mans opinion, but people (again, not saying you OF) should NOT argue these games ‘shouldn’t be close.’

Yeah I think we are like 7-4 or 8-3 against the spread which means we are doing exactly what’s expected. Fans don’t like this because they pay attention to every detail at a micro level. I have said it a bunch over the last few weeks and I will keep saying what everyone has issues with are legit concerns. But if we fixed them we would be a top 5 team. We are a perfectly imperfect team that knows how to win. Not a ton of teams that can even say that this year. Everyone not happy with that? Meh, they want what’s best and have seen too much of this over the last 25 years. I think we are a legit good team in the structure of how this year is playing out.

We aren’t playing mid majors at the Classic Joe.

All I’m saying is, we can replace Butler with a school that’ll benefit us more on the national stage. Butler wins more from the game than we do.

All I’m saying is, we can replace Butler with a school that’ll benefit us more on the national stage. Butler wins more from the game than we do.

I’m sure they could replace them with someone else and it would be fine with me but if IU played Butler this year and IU won the game that would of been a game that benefited IU on a national level because Butler is ranked highly in all the metrics. Play them or someone else doesn’t matter which way they go for me. As long as it’s a high major team in the non conference it will benefit IU. Butler and Notre Dame play in conferences that have won the last 5 national titles

4 hours ago, BottomLine said:

Neither is without faults.  I just don't trust Green.  Archie is getting paid big bucks to figure out the problem.  All we can do is have opinions.  I thought the last play of the game yesterday said volumes.  See if you can find a replay.  Ball goes through the post to Jackson-Davis, who is promptly double teamed.  He pivots and passes the ball to Durham, who is midway between Franklin in the corner and Green, open at the top of the key.  A ND player is trying to close on Durham, who instantly passes the ball to Franklin for the winning shot.  He could have gone to Green also but he didn't.  Imagine for a second that Green and Durham are reversed and the ball goes to Green,  Does he make the pass to an open man, or does he force a shot, or does he put the ball on the floor and drive into the lane and shoot his "floater"?  Me may have still won the game and Green would have been the hero instead of Franklin.  Or we may have lost.  What I have little doubt of is that in that scenario Green does not pass the ball.  There is the difference.  I think Durham plays for the team, and after over three years of watching, I think Green plays for himself.  Do I wish Durham had Green's talent?  You betcha.  Do I wish Green were more aware that there is no I in TEAM?  Without a doubt.

For some reason people thought Green was gonna be different this year. He is the same selfish player.

I’m sure they could replace them with someone else and it would be fine with me but if IU played Butler this year and IU won the game that would of been a game that benefited IU on a national level because Butler is ranked highly in all the metrics. Play them or someone else doesn’t matter which way they go for me. As long as it’s a high major team in the non conference it will benefit IU. Butler and Notre Dame play in conferences that have won the last 5 national titles

Renewing a game against UK or playing UNC or Kansas like we should be, will always do more nationally than playing Butler. Butler is a State game. Gives us a good NET win but no exposure. Playing Notre Dane, even in a down year gives is more. The event by far favors Butler more than anyone else and it isn’t close. Bigger schools and its basically a home game.

9 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Renewing a game against UK or playing UNC or Kansas like we should be, will always do more nationally than playing Butler. Butler is a State game. Gives us a good NET win but no exposure. Playing Notre Dane, even in a down year gives is more. The event by far favors Butler more than anyone else and it isn’t close. Bigger schools and its basically a home game.

IU usually has the advantage in fan numbers. Id keep Butler on the schedule. UK absolutely needs added back even if its neutral court.

3 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Not everything is about what it can do for IU. These are for fans in Indiana, giving them a chance to see in-state games.

I don't know why we just cant play IU vs. ND every year in Bankers Life. Or IU and Butler home and home. Seems to be ways to give indiana fans a chance without going through the crossroads classic. 

I guess I'm in the minority here -- because I like the Classic. As far as I know, it's set up to be a one-day showcase of Indiana's top college programs. And it serves that purpose. It gives fans a chance to see all four in the same place on the same day. One day is perfect; it doesn't need to be a tournament. And I'm not sure if you bring in an Evansville or an Indiana State or a Valpo or a Ball State instead, there would be the same interest.

And I like that the PUs are in the same event, but we don't play. I wouldn't want the Classic to serve as a conference game. Those are for later and for the Hall and Mackey. As far as scheduling, I'd be all for playing ND or Butler (whichever we don't play in the Classic) every year -- at Hinkle or in South Bend or at the Hall, however it works. 

(Full disclosure: My family and extended family has grads from Butler, IU and PU -- so we really enjoy watching it every year. We still haven't been able to attend one, but I'd love to at some point. The only school not represented in my family is ND.)

Does IU get a larger share of the earnings from this? If we have th largest share of the crowd and TV audience we should

Pretty sure it is split evenly. Even though the lower bowl is split evenly it ends up with probably 40ish percent of the people in the lower level being IU fans through ticket resales. Upper is always 50+% IU fans. Honestly my favorite game day of the year to see in person.