Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU vs Notre Dame 12/21 Noon ESPN

ND took that away. We just didn’t handle the ball well and didn’t look for open outside shots. You can’t just decide to go in the paint if they are giving you the rest court. When Franklin and Green hit shots they were scrambling. A good offense is balanced. A unbalanced offense (like ours) gets exposed

I do agree, but our bigs, while struggling against the double/collapsed lane once they get the ball on the block, can dish it for a good open look. Archie states multiple times before and beginning of the season this team must have post touches to be successful. I think this team needs to be run through the post, regardless if score much or not.

Most of my frustration comes from us losing a 16 point lead, and the ball never went into the post to try to right the ship. Our guards aren’t very good when just pounding the ball for 20 seconds. So many times the initial post-up was open, but the guard swung it for a cross screen down low. When things are struggling like they were, just toss it down there initially to let our bigs work.

Granted they weren’t perfect and received zero foul calls, they were good shots for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I didn’t hear anything. Neither did you. Or anyone else.

He obviously kept them within the effective game plan for a long stretch. I don’t think he told them to stop. It goes back to guard play. When they stop responding/thinking, the game plan is no longer effective if they don’t feed the post.

Archie is not faultless. Example: Brunck and TJD didn’t spend enough time on the floor together in the second half, amongst other things. But I’m exhausted by him receiving what is presented as 100% of the blame.

Archie used multiple timeouts during their run, and we still didn’t go inside much. That’s where I find a lot of frustration because there seemed to be no focus at getting it into the paint. Plus, there were more plays ran where our bigs were above the 3-point line setting screens but not diving to the paint.

Imo, this is on the coaching staff more than the players. We did it in the first half, and while ND did do a great job adjusting, it still should have never stopped our focus on trying to pound the ball inside.

2 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I do agree, but our bigs, while struggling against the double/collapsed lane once they get the ball on the block, can dish it for a good open look. Archie states multiple times before and beginning of the season this team must have post touches to be successful. I think this team needs to be run through the post, regardless if score much or not.

Most of my frustration comes from us losing a 16 point lead, and the ball never went into the post to try to right the ship. Our guards aren’t very good when just pounding the ball for 20 seconds. So many times the initial post-up was open, but the guard swung it for a cross screen down low. When things are struggling like they were, just toss it down there initially to let our bigs work.

Granted they weren’t perfect and received zero foul calls, they were good shots for the most part.

Yes one play in particular Trace gets a deflection then runs to the other end and gets great post position. Green wont feed him and the possession ends with a Durham missed layup. Maddening!

I can’t believe how methodically they cut that lead away. I was supremely comfortable with how we were playing. Got momentum and hit some shots.

Even more unreal we comeback from 5 with less than 3 left. Big plays were made.

I’m not going to nitpick this win. I don’t think we are a great team but we are better than ND, and I expected a win, and that’s what we got.

A loss here would have really hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

8 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Lots of hammering inthe post with very little calls.

Regardless of my frustrations, I’m thrilled for a win and only having one loss this season. Huge games for Brunk and Armaan to get it really going for us, and I thought Justin and Trace played very solid as well.

I guess just keep winning ;) :)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Lots of hammering inthe post with very little calls.

Yes, I felt bad for our bigs. It may have been the first play down the court or close to it, but Brunk shot faked, Mooney landing on Brunk’s back with no call. Definitely the story of this game with the physical play that ND got away with.

Archie used multiple timeouts during their run, and we still didn’t go inside much. That’s where I find a lot of frustration because there seemed to be no focus at getting it into the paint. Plus, there were more plays ran where our bigs were above the 3-point line setting screens but not diving to the paint.

Imo, this is on the coaching staff more than the players. We did it in the first half, and while ND did do a great job adjusting, it still should have never stopped our focus on trying to pound the ball inside.

In essence, you’re saying he told them to stop going inside during those timeouts. Or maybe he told them to keep playing from outside. Even though he had them playing our strengths for the entire first half and then some.

No. We had a lead, and the offense did what it does every game: falls asleep. ND was able to capitalize, and their 3 ball came back a little bit. We had senseless turnovers (eg Rob at half court). We know the mentality of this team, and that is to tighten up, play scared, and not play within the game. To let the opposition dictate what they do.

If you can’t see that the players are the ones out there responsible for carrying out a game plan, I don’t know what to tell you, Jaybob. But I know you know that. It’s easier to blame a coach, and it’s natural to look for immediate blame in times of frustration. I get that. I like you, but here I disagree with placing a large majority of the blame on Miller.

So you are whining about fans again....

Whining or calling posters out. Whatever you want to call it. It’s amazing how it happens like clockwork though. I guess their fandom just really shines through when we’re not playing well...

1 minute ago, HinnyHoosier said:

In essence, you’re saying he told them to stop going inside during those timeouts. Or maybe he told them to keep playing from outside. Even though he had them playing our strengths for the entire first half and then some.

No. We had a lead, and the offense did what it does every game: falls asleep. ND was able to capitalize, and their 3 ball came back a little bit. We had senseless turnovers (eg Rob at half court). We know the mentality of this team, and that is to tighten up, play scared, and not play within the game. To let the opposition dictate what they do.

If you can’t see that the players are the ones out there responsible for carrying out a game plan, I don’t know what to tell you, Jaybob. But I know you know that. It’s easier to blame a coach, and it’s natural to look for immediate blame in times of frustration. I get that. I like you, but here I disagree with placing a large majority of the blame on Miller.

2 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

The exact argument we heard from so many about Crean....

Hey it’s all good man, I have no issues with civil disagreements, which are fun. I get blame goes on the players too, but when we constantly never looked inside or ran specific plays to go inside is why I feel it’s mostly on Archie. Maybe he did, but the players never played with that focus.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Whining or calling posters out. Whatever you want to call it. It’s amazing how it happens like clockwork though. I guess their fandom just really shines through when we’re not playing well...

You are just a better fan. Pat yourself on the back.

Hey it’s all good man, I have no issues with civil disagreements, which are fun. I get blame goes on the players too, but when we constantly never looked inside or ran specific plays to go inside is why I feel it’s mostly on Archie. Maybe he did, but the players never played with that focus.

That’s what I’m saying in regards to your last sentence. Maybe I’m not delivering it very clearly. I’ve been home all day with 3 insane children, so I hardly even know my name at this point.

I feel like if we could just get TJD to stay another year and our guards really continue to grow with experience we’ll see a much welcomed improvement in our offensive consistency and, subsequently, efficiency. Al, Armaan, Jerome, and still yet Rob have to tighten it up next year. Al is the only one who isn’t a rookie or hasn’t missed significant time so I remain hopeful.

33 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

So you are whining about fans again....

Yah. Those fans are ****. They ruin these boards for everyone else. They’re miserable and they just want to try and make everyone else miserable.

i post cause I enjoy rooting for IU. Those dudes don’t seem to like anything about the program 

I've been critical when it's called for and positive when it's warranted as well. I had a lot of positive to say but was watching on delay until their comeback was in full swing. Point being at least in one case the "negative" guy was not able to post during the good stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk