Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

12 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

I dont expect us to top 5 in conference but we will never gain ground if we are consistently in the bottom third. Like I said before we took a step forward in recruiting but so did everyone else.

The reality of our situation is we will start every season 0-3.   We'll beat Michigan and PSU once in a while, but not very often.  Despite what anyone wants, those two and OSU have 100+ years of history on their sides and million$ more than we'll ever have to spend on football.  So, to be in the middle every year, Indiana needs to go 6-0, 5-1, or 4-2 in the other games every year; AND win all 3 non-conference games.   That's absolutely why our non-conference schedule is weak....we need guaranteed wins to offset the probable losses or we'll dig ourselves a hole we can't get out of.   There just isn't any margin for error with Indiana.

Indiana is a basketball school.  Basketball drives our bus.  That's reality.  Arguing against it (not you, just making a point) does nothing to change it.

12 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We have no idea what the basketball team will do and there isn’t anything that makes them better than last season. Is Green the best player Green? Because last year it was Morgan and Romeo and that’s a massive gap.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So you're telling me you can't see what's happening and extrapolate that into the direction of the program?  You're telling me the best you can do is look backward solely at numbers without taking circumstances into account, and base your opinions off of nothing but raw data?

And you think this season hinges on Green?   Really?   Are you really unable to see the changes in depth?  The additions to the front court which will allow everyone to play where they fit?   No offense, and I don't mean this as a personal attack, but if you truly can't see the team as constructed now vs last season, eliminate the one and done mindset and agenda, elimination of weak links, added depth and talent, the addition of Hunter, another year of experience, health, and playing kids in their best positions...you don't know what you're talking about.    

We are longer, more athletic, bigger, faster, more experienced, healthier, and deeper than a year ago.  Last season we had at least 4 players (Moore, Forrester, Fitzner, McRoberts) who were weak links in one way or another.  All are gone.  Replaced with Indiana Mr. Basketball in Davis, a versatile and athletic Franklin, who I have seen enough to tell you is a very good player; Joey Brunk who's an experienced big who gives Indiana something they sorely lacked a year ago; and Hunter who was Mr. Basketball in Ohio two years ago.  

You're telling me you can't make that connection?    I don't buy it.  I think you're choosing not to.

Ok but those listed are getting paid no matter where they go. Except they are going to Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Florida, FSU, etc. That’s like saying your a basketball coach and Oregon St is willing to pay you $5-$6 mill per year. Well if you are Chris Beard do you take it? No you don’t and there is a reason why it doesn’t happen. There isn’t one coach on your list that would give more than 2 seconds of thought on the IU job. Realistic. 
Edit: Maybe Charlie Strong, but no thanks.

Well Beard did go to Texas Tech. And let’s not act like Texas Tech was anything before him. If you hire one of those coordinators, and then they move on to Michigan or USC or something, likely means Indiana was winning.

Well Beard did go to Texas Tech. And let’s not act like Texas Tech was anything before him. If you hire one of those coordinators, and then they move on to Michigan or USC or something, likely means Indiana was winning.

Lmao and he wasn’t much before Texas Tech. Wasn’t like he was an up and coming Duke assistant. In your eyes it would have been a disappointing hire here if he was hired instead of Archie as he didn’t come from a great basketball school and hadn’t proved he could win championships.

Did your mother tell you growing up you could be president and you believed her when she said you could do anything you put your mind to? She lied to you. You can’t. There is a reason why some things are the way they have been for 100 years. The world did not develop in the last 25 years AJ (That’s After Joe is it doesn’t make sense). I am not saying you can’t get from A-Z. But you acting like we can overnight like this is a video game in dynasty mode is just old and tiring. All programs that is. You have acted like it’s this simple thought process that we can snap our fingers with money and make it happen. Joe, if it’s as easy as you feel it is please by all means become our AD. I would love to see the train wreck that would ensue.

Lmao and he wasn’t much before Texas Tech. Wasn’t like he was an up and coming Duke assistant. In your eyes it would have been a disappointing hire here if he was hired instead of Archie as he didn’t come from a great basketball school and hadn’t proved he could win championships.

Did your mother tell you growing up you could be president and you believed her when she said you could do anything you put your mind to? She lied to you. You can’t. There is a reason why some things are the way they have been for 100 years. The world did not develop in the last 25 years AJ (That’s After Joe is it doesn’t make sense).

Beard has just ended up winning everywhere he’s been. Even Little Rock. Would have been interesting had he stayed at UNLV. But Texas Tech still got a coach who proved himself more than Tom Allen ever has right? No reason to be scared about gauging interest to some of the top notch assistants. How long will they have to wait for the Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Texas jobs to open up? Your biggest to likely open up in the near future are Michigan, USC and Florida State. A lot of the others are in good shape at the moment. So those coordinators would be sitting around a while. You can’t be scared to offer them something and see what they say. That’s how you end up with Allen. I’m not saying we’d get those guys, but you have to start there and work down.

Beard has just ended up winning everywhere he’s been. Even Little Rock. Would have been interesting had he stayed at UNLV. But Texas Tech still got a coach who proved himself more than Tom Allen ever has right? No reason to be scared about gauging interest to some of the top notch assistants. How long will they have to wait for the Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Texas jobs to open up? Your biggest to likely open up in the near future are Michigan, USC and Florida State. A lot of the others are in good shape at the moment. So those coordinators would be sitting around a while. You can’t be scared to offer them something and see what they say. That’s how you end up with Allen. I’m not saying we’d get those guys, but you have to start there and work down.

Yes because Little Rock Arkansas basketball equals Alabama football. Jesus I feel I have to take crazy pills to have a convo with you with all of your wide arcing mental gymnastics to get from A-Z. This is really your thought process? Bwahahahahhahahahaha. At least you are high on life amirite.

Yes because Little Rock Arkansas basketball equals Alabama football. Jesus I feel I have to take crazy pills to have a convo with you with all of your wide arcing mental gymnastics to get from A-Z. This is really your thought process? Bwahahahahhahahahaha. At least you are high on life amirite.

Well you could probably make a comparison of Texas Tech basketball to IU football. Before Beard, neither program program had done jack squat historically. Right? You’re reading what I’m typing wrong and going on bizarre tangents that have never been said. Texas Tech took a chance with a guy that had been successful where he had been. Texas Tech isn’t exactly the most attractive of places to go and before Beard has went to 16 NCAA tourneys, 5 Sweet 16’s and had never been further. So Tech looked for someone who had been successful and been around success(like Knight). You can say we did the same we Archie right? He’s had success and has been around it. We went and hired Allen though. Who spent 2 seasons as a DC(1 at USF and 1 at IU). We took our chance on Allen. His recruiting has picked up and the future still holds a strong ability to win 6 every year. Obviously a good position for IU to be sitting in. I don’t think Allen should have gotten the job in the first place. He’s in over his head at this point. But it is also IU football. And I understand that getting a top notch coordinator isn’t really possible. I don’t care to give Allen another year, but there need to be improvements on defense, offensive line and discipline. The offense looks good even though the o-line is weak, which will end up hurting Allen’s time here. But IU can’t just settle for Allen. They can try and throw some money at someone. If successful, they’ll make that money back pretty easily. I’m just someone who thinks you shouldn’t settle. Beard wasn’t exactly a hot commodity, but he was coming off a 30-5 season. Texas Tech, who is comparable to IU football, went and literally took him from UNLV who didn’t even have him for a month before taking the TTU job. They weren’t settling and went and got their guy. I don’t see why Indiana, who was as irrelevant as TTU b-ball, can’t go get someone they consider to be their guy.

Joe, you do realize Chris Beard was the top assistant at Texas Tech for 10 seasons (2001-2011)? it is not like he had no connections to TTU. A lot easier for TTU to bring him back than just to go out and throw money at him. 

Well sure. But they still had to go steal him from UNLV a month after signing a contract there.

Well sure. But they still had to go steal him from UNLV a month after signing a contract there.

Joe, you do realize Chris Beard was the top assistant at Texas Tech for 10 seasons (2001-2011)? it is not like he had no connections to TTU. A lot easier for TTU to bring him back than just to go out and throw money at him. 

Not exactly a good example Joe. Sad you can’t see why. But things that happened in the past tend to be more of a hindrance to your overall viewpoints on a daily basis. Damn fake history!!!

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

There has to be a reason they were ABLE to "steal" him from UNLV. If he had not went to school in Texas, been a head coach in the Texas area, AND been the top assistant at TTU for 10 seasons you think Texas Tech of all places could just go "steal" him from UNLV?

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

The reality of our situation is we will start every season 0-3.   We'll beat Michigan and PSU once in a while, but not very often.  Despite what anyone wants, those two and OSU have 100+ years of history on their sides and million$ more than we'll ever have to spend on football.  So, to be in the middle every year, Indiana needs to go 6-0, 5-1, or 4-2 in the other games every year; AND win all 3 non-conference games.   That's absolutely why our non-conference schedule is weak....we need guaranteed wins to offset the probable losses or we'll dig ourselves a hole we can't get out of.   There just isn't any margin for error with Indiana.

Indiana is a basketball school.  Basketball drives our bus.  That's reality.  Arguing against it (not you, just making a point) does nothing to change it.

OSU is the only consistent top 10 team. Figure them as a loss. PSU, UM and MSU should be in play for wins if we up grade to a middle of the pack program in terms of coaching and talent. We dont even try. We bring in 11-12 ranked classes (in conference) and have the lowest paid coach and then hope lightning strikes.

There has to be a reason they were ABLE to "steal" him from UNLV. If he had not went to school in Texas, been a head coach in the Texas area, AND been the top assistant at TTU for 10 seasons you think Texas Tech of all places could just go "steal" him from UNLV?

If someone signs a contract at a place and the a month later you come and grab him, that’s stealing. That’s not something that happens often. Tubby Smith(coming off Techs first NCAA appearance in about a decade) accepted the Memphis job on April 14th, 2016. Beard had accepted the UNLV job March 27th, 2016 and took the Texas Tech job April 15th, 2016. It took them a day to go steal Beard from UNLV. Beard obviously went to Tech because of his past there and his family living near there. But that doesn’t mean TTU didn’t go rob UNLV of a coach who would have likely turned that program around. It may not be the perfect comparison for you because not every single dot connects perfectly. But Tech basketball sucked. Indiana football sucks. No reason they can go grab the person they want and pay them, and we can go pay someone we want just because we suck. We obviously don’t have any past assistants that are worth anything, but you’re not going to get anyone when your staff isn’t getting paid.

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If someone signs a contract at a place and the a month later you come and grab him, that’s stealing. That’s not something that happens often. Tubby Smith(coming off Techs first NCAA appearance in about a decade) accepted the Memphis job on April 14th, 2016. Beard had accepted the UNLV job March 27th, 2016 and took the Texas Tech job April 15th, 2016. It took them a day to go steal Beard from UNLV. Beard obviously went to Tech because of his past there and his family living near there. But that doesn’t mean TTU didn’t go rob UNLV of a coach who would have likely turned that program around. It may not be the perfect comparison for you because not every single dot connects perfectly. But Tech basketball sucked. Indiana football sucks. No reason they can go grab the person they want and pay them, and we can go pay someone we want just because we suck. We obviously don’t have any past assistants that are worth anything, but you’re not going to get anyone when your staff isn’t getting paid.

You are impossible. you act like TTU did something that IU has had the chance to do and didn't. Let me know when IU football has the chance to steal their equivalent of a Chris Beard (meaning a coach with STRONG connections to the program) and does not. Until then, this doesn't make any sense. 

27 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

OSU is the only consistent top 10 team. Figure them as a loss. PSU, UM and MSU should be in play for wins if we up grade to a middle of the pack program in terms of coaching and talent. We dont even try. We bring in 11-12 ranked classes (in conference) and have the lowest paid coach and then hope lightning strikes.

We don't even try????   Did you watch Saturday?   That's just inaccurate.  Recruiting is WAY better.  Better than Hieponer, better than Wilson.  More money being spent on facilities and coaches.  Don't even try???   Are you serious??  The quality and state of this team is at a higher level than it's been since 1988.   Open your eyes.

I haven't ever mentioned MSU in any of my posts, and have consistently used 4th place as a consistent goal.

If you believe Indiana can consistently beat OSU, PSU, and UM minus a Jerry Sandusky scandal, I'll smoke what you're smoking.  Does Nebraska try in basketball?  

You are impossible. you act like TTU did something that IU has had the chance to do and didn't. Let me know when IU football has the chance to steal their equivalent of a Chris Beard (meaning a coach with STRONG connections to the program) and does not. Until then, this doesn't make any sense. 

Well no comparison will ever make any sense to you because every factor of life has to be equal to compare.

Well no comparison will ever make any sense to you because every factor of life has to be equal to compare.

What you are describing is an antithesis. There is no comparison when you are highlighting complete opposites unless you can draw a comparison. Which he did prove there is none. You in no way provided a comparison to our current situation. So you in fact would be wrong. You tried highlighting your scenario as equal to IU’s. It is not. In no way. In no universe. Antithesis - Joes way of daily living.

What you are describing is an antithesis. There is no comparison when you are highlighting complete opposites unless you can draw a comparison. Which he did prove there is none. You in no way provided a comparison to our current situation. So you in fact would be wrong. You tried highlighting your scenario as equal to IU’s. It is not. In no way. In no universe. Antithesis - Joes way of daily living.

Texas Tech sucked. Indiana sucks. Texas Tech went out and got their guy. Indiana settled for the guy who probably told Glass his khakis were nice. Indiana could have went out and got what they considered to be “their guy.” But they didn’t. They settled. Beard didn’t have to say yes to TTU. TTU didn’t have to go after him. TTU didn’t settle just because Beard had just signed another contract at a program that could have easily been viewed as better. The point of the comparison is that TTU sucked and didn’t settle. The comparison isn’t about the lives of Beard and Allen.

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Texas Tech sucked. Indiana sucks. Texas Tech went out and got their guy. Indiana settled for the guy who probably told Glass his khakis were nice. Indiana could have went out and got what they considered to be “their guy.” But they didn’t. They settled. Beard didn’t have to say yes to TTU. TTU didn’t have to go after him. TTU didn’t settle just because Beard had just signed another contract at a program that could have easily been viewed as better. The point of the comparison is that TTU sucked and didn’t settle. The comparison isn’t about the lives of Beard and Allen.

Surface level comparisons are easy, which is what you are describing. They usually come from an attempt to make a set of facts fit your arguments rather than the other way around.  Which is lazy and ignorant . Someone who has taken the time to dig deeper and sort through the facts can usually tear those types of arguments apart. At least in my world. 

Texas Tech hired a coach that worked at the University as an assistant coach and associate head coach under the Knights for 10 years. This was after Tech’s coach bailed and went to Memphis. Beard (a Texas native) and a prior relationship with the university made him easily the man for the Texas Tech job. His daughters living hours away from Lubbock also made this a no brainer situation. Once the job was open his name was at the top of the list despite him just accepting the UNLV job. Tubby bolting screwed UNLV