Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

With 14 members of the committee, I'd expect the Abilene Paradox to occur.

In the Abilene paradox, a group of people collectively decide on a course of action that is counter to the preferences of many or all of the individuals in the group.[1][2] It involves a common breakdown of group communication in which each member mistakenly believes that their own preferences are counter to the group's and, therefore, does not raise objections. A common phrase relating to the Abilene paradox is a desire not to "rock the boat". This differs from groupthink in that the Abilene paradox is characterized by an inability to manage agreement.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox

With 14 members of the committee, I'd expect the Abilene Paradox to occur.
In the Abilene paradox, a group of people collectively decide on a course of action that is counter to the preferences of many or all of the individuals in the group.[1][2] It involves a common breakdown of group communication in which each member mistakenly believes that their own preferences are counter to the group's and, therefore, does not raise objections. A common phrase relating to the Abilene paradox is a desire not to "rock the boat". This differs from groupthink in that the Abilene paradox is characterized by an inability to manage agreement.[3]
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox

It’s absolutely incredible that you posted this. I first heard about the Abilene Paradox in training two days ago. What are the chances I hear about it twice in three days after knowing nothing about it for over 46 years? BTB always delivers! (Sorry, USPS...)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I am not a fan of the list of people that have the say they do. I think football and basketball should have been included on top of the people listed. But I know this is a check and balance thing. This is to ensure the voices of those two programs aren’t louder than smaller programs. This has been a thing for 20 years at IU. Why piss on the two programs that generate 95% of the revenue and make it so those other 20 ish programs can exist just because a previous coach was thought to have too much power? Before anyone says anything about they are still in their seasons, be aware these coaches have meetings and teleconferences with various people in the University daily. They are more than able to assist. Modern priorities of IU towards the athletic office just disappoints me. We may stumble into success, but does anyone truly feel no matter who the next AD is he will have the say or clout to truly make the money making programs better?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

My question would be were they asked.  If they were asked and declined that's one thing.  If they weren't it's another thing entirely and wouldn't agree with it.

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I am not a fan of the list of people that have the say they do. I think football and basketball should have been included on top of the people listed. But I know this is a check and balance thing. This is to ensure the voices of those two programs aren’t louder than smaller programs. This has been a thing for 20 years at IU. Why piss on the two programs that generate 95% of the revenue and make it so those other 20 ish programs can exist just because a previous coach was thought to have too much power? Before anyone says anything about they are still in their seasons, be aware these coaches have meetings and teleconferences with various people in the University daily. They are more than able to assist. Modern priorities of IU towards the athletic office just disappoints me. We may stumble into success, but does anyone truly feel no matter who the next AD is he will have the say or clout to truly make the money making programs better?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Guarantee Shoulders has his paws all over the formation of a big committee. Think of all the people he can deflect blame towards if this hire goes south. As long as that man is around I have little confidence this won't get screwed up.

My question would be were they asked.  If they were asked and declined that's one thing.  If they weren't it's another thing entirely and wouldn't agree with it.

They weren’t asked. If they would have been they would have done it. Having a say in the qualities of your next boss would be enticing.

Guarantee Shoulders has his paws all over the formation of a big committee. Think of all the people he can deflect blame towards if this hire goes south. As long as that man is around I have little confidence this won't get screwed up.

It was a “collective” effort to determine the qualities we looked for in our next AD blah, blah... Mark my words that will be in the speech to announce the next AD.

I think it's weird that anybody within athletics has a say on who their boss will be.  I certainly don't get a vote at work

I do at Lincoln Financial Group. It’s a common thing now in companies when you feel the machine is oiled and you don’t want to rock the boat. Essentially this tells me the next person coming in will be someone that fits in mostly under what people personality and vision wise came to live with under Glass. I don’t envision the next person will have differing job responsibilities or expectations that Glass currently has.

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I do at Lincoln Financial Group. It’s a common thing now in companies when you feel the machine is oiled and you don’t want to rock the boat. Essentially this tells me the next person coming in will be someone that fits in mostly under what people personality and vision wise came to live with under Glass. I don’t envision the next person will have differing job responsibilities or expectations that Glass currently has.

My Fortune 500 company believes in more bosses, more power!  I'm in sales and rarely in the office, but I still have about a thousand bosses and no input.  Good for Lincoln Financial.

Wait...aren't you in Fort Wayne?  I know one of your coworkers well then lol 

My Fortune 500 company believes in more bosses, more power!  I'm in sales and rarely in the office, but I still have about a thousand bosses and no input.  Good for Lincoln Financial.

Wait...aren't you in Fort Wayne?  I know one of your coworkers well then lol 

Yeah we are top heavy with bosses too. We are on a modernization kick the last few years. Hell last year we went from suit and ties to jeans at work. A lot of times we have peers determine specific roles of their bosses in conjunction with who that persons boss will be. I have done peer interviews for people on an equal playing field as me and people above me. Yes my office is in Fort Wayne, but I work from home more times than not. I fly between Fort Wayne and Radnor frequently, and I split even less time between Boston/Greensboro. I am just glad they put in a straight flight between Fort Wayne and Philly. The connection in Detroit has always been trash.

24 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

They weren’t asked. If they would have been they would have done it. Having a say in the qualities of your next boss would be enticing.

The biggest money makers should've at least had a voice.  Unfortunately, I'm not surprised and think we'll likely get Glass 2.0.

10 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah we are top heavy with bosses too. We are on a modernization kick the last few years. Hell last year we went from suit and ties to jeans at work. A lot of times we have peers determine specific roles of their bosses in conjunction with who that persons boss will be. I have done peer interviews for people on an equal playing field as me and people above me. Yes my office is in Fort Wayne, but I work from home more times than not. I fly between Fort Wayne and Radnor frequently, and I split even less time between Boston/Greensboro. I am just glad they put in a straight flight between Fort Wayne and Philly. The connection in Detroit has always been trash.

Wow, you probably know him.  One of your auditors was my fraternity brother

Wow, you probably know him.  One of your auditors was my fraternity brother

Nice! I am a Project Manager for RPS. My role crosses with the relationship managers, legal/compliance, and marketing. Occasionally I work with the retirement consultants. Not sure which area your frat brother works on mainly, but it’s possible.