Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

49 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I just hope we get an outside hire who will make a commitment to winning and shake things up a bit.

From what I've read on various boards, the athletic department really gets hamstrung with compliance and isn't allowed to find ways to use rules to their advantage.  I'm not even sure what all the entails, but I do know if I were coach of the basketball program, I'd want to be able to do my job without my boss trying to find ways to bust me.

I'm not saying we gotta be Duke or Kentucky, because I don't want that.  I'm just tired of losing recruits to the Marquettes of the world.

Unless you’re off the Archie train and want him fired right now there isn’t anything a new AD will bring to the table that will change the trajectory of IU sports, which for the most part are doing very well. Unless you want our basketball program to start paying OADs, which we’ve seen has a low percentage of working out.

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

This simply isn't accurate.  Not even close.  It's another in the cesspool of negative narratives.

In the last 10 seasons (not even including this one), Indiana has won 2 Big Ten titles, made 3 sweet 16's, and its only losing records were years 2 and 3 of Crean's tenure.   Indiana produced several NBA lottery and 1st round draft picks and won 20+ games 4 times.   Worst decade ever?   Not close.

Take a look sometime between 1958 and 1972.  And again between 2003-2012.  That decade ended well, but the beginning through year 9 were disappointing for very different reasons than the beginning of this past one.  And...with a 10-1 start, the current decade's not getting any worse.  And yes, we all know what hasn't yet happened this season; but that's another in a long line of straw man arguments.

It hasn't been great every year, but worst ever?   It hasn't been close to that, either.

I said it was probably the worst period ever in IU basketball history because I have exams and was too lazy to dissect every single period. But it absolutely was one of the worst. When I have to go back to before my parents were born to find a worse period you know it was bad.

During the 11 years from 2009-2019, IU missed the tournament 7 times. When was the last 11 year stretch in which IU missed the tournament 7 times? 

So, sure, you're right, IU won 2 big 10 championships and made it to 3 sweet 16s. They also missed the tournament 7 times. Before 2009, IU missed the tournament 7 times total from 1971-2008. And before 1971 a fraction of teams made it to the tournament compared to now. 

Stop pretending that it's "another in the cesspool of negative narratives"  to say that 2009-2019 was one of the worst periods in IU basketball history. Kentucky fans would burn their arena to the ground if they missed 7 out of 11 tournaments. 

I said it was probably the worst period ever in IU basketball history because I have exams and was too lazy to dissect every single period. But it absolutely was one of the worst. When I have to go back to before my parents were born to find a worse period you know it was bad.
During the 11 years from 2009-2019, IU missed the tournament 7 times. When was the last 11 year stretch in which IU missed the tournament 7 times? 
So, sure, you're right, IU won 2 big 10 championships and made it to 3 sweet 16s. They also missed the tournament 7 times. Before 2009, IU missed the tournament 7 times total from 1971-2008. And before 1971 a fraction of teams made it to the tournament compared to now. 
Stop pretending that it's "another in the cesspool of negative narratives"  to say that 2009-2019 was one of the worst periods in IU basketball history. Kentucky fans would burn their arena to the ground if they missed 7 out of 11 tournaments. 

Well you’re obviously not a real fan because Archie is the best ever and this next decade will be the greatest of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

At least Glass let everyone know what so many of us here have already said. Indiana will continue to struggle financially compared to other schools because of football. $6.5m in ticket revenue isn’t enough when so many other are getting $20m+. We obviously can’t get to where Michigan is at about $60m. But we should be able to get to about $15m. People just have to show up and the team has to keep being consistently decent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

9 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Glass kept Crean about 2 years too long, then hired a coach who is not ready to live up to IU standards.  Some people accept that, meaning our standards have slipped significantly.  Glass gets a D- for his basketball management.

1 minute ago, southsidehoosier said:

I’m pretty sure Chris Reynolds was the one who hired Yeagley. Glass just approved it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I hope that the right decision is made via this group. But that seems like a like of bureaucrats. I worry that there's too many cooks in the kitchen to make a bold or correct decision, whichever decision that may be. 

Does anyone know if a committee like this is usual? As in the number of people and the fact that some are current coaches?

Just now, Chris007 said:

I see a lot of people on there that IMO will be in favor of Scott Dolson. Just my opinion. 

In your opinion is Scott Dolson the best choice compared to the other two candidates thrown around (Chris Reynolds and Pat Kraft)? Is Scott Dolson Fred Glass 2.0?

Just now, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I hope that the right decision is made via this group. But that seems like a like of bureaucrats. I worry that there's too many cooks in the kitchen to make a bold or correct decision, whichever decision that may be. 

Does anyone know if a committee like this is usual? As in the number of people and the fact that some are current coaches?

In your opinion is Scott Dolson the best choice compared to the other two candidates thrown around (Chris Reynolds and Pat Kraft)? Is Scott Dolson Fred Glass 2.0?

I didn't say he was the best choice. I know Scott and I like him a lot but I don't how he would do in charge of the whole department. I worked with Pat while he was a player at IU and he was a little standoffish for my taste but that was 20 years ago. I loved the way Chris Reynolds played and have met him a few times but nothing more than Hi and bye. Yes, the is usual for a committee that big for a big hire at IU. I will support whoever gets the job and honestly I have no idea who is the best candidate. I know and like Scott the best but I can't say he will be a great AD.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Here is the people on the committee. Somehow I was left off.

This makes me hopeful the committee will pick a good candidate and McRobbie will just sign off on it. There is no way Moren, Yeagley and Looze and some of these others would let McRobbie pick someone with no sports experience who is a lapdog and wants to de-emphasize athletics.   

Interesting neither Allen or Archie is on committee but assume they did not want to or are to busy with their sports. Running football and basketball is much harder then running Olympic sports.

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

Also kinda cool how they have a current student athlete on the committee to give her perspective. I am sure that will be a great experience for her. 

In law school (IU--Bloomington) I was appointed as the student representative to the committee to rename the law school.  The purpose, it was said plainly, was so people wouldn't mistake IU-Indy for us (two separate, unrelated schools).  I show up expecting a "great experience."  Of course, the Maurer gift was all but secured already and the entire committee was a formality.  Turns out it was at least a learning experience about how things get done.  In the aftermath, IU-Indy just secured a gift from a "McKinney" so now there's IU-Maurer and IU-McKinney.  Clear as mud.

Every board I've been a part of since operates the same way.  Make sure the minutes reflect that procedure was followed, but it's never how things actually get done.  Cue WayneFleek, et al to tell how how this relates to recruiting...

1 minute ago, Stromboli said:

In law school (IU--Bloomington) I was appointed as the student representative to the committee to rename the law school.  The purpose, it was said plainly, was so people wouldn't mistake IU-Indy for us (two separate, unrelated schools).  I show up expecting a "great experience."  Of course, the Maurer gift was all but secured already and the entire committee was a formality.  Turns out it was at least a learning experience about how things get done.  In the aftermath, IU-Indy just secured a gift from a "McKinney" so now there's IU-Maurer and IU-McKinney.  Clear as mud.

Every board I've been a part of since operates the same way.  Make sure the minutes reflect that procedure was followed, but it's never how things actually get done.  Cue WayneFleek, et al to tell how how this relates to recruiting...

Industry is the same way. People come up with an idea. But there’s a process that has to be followed. Cue meetings and walks where alternatives and alterations are discussed and “considered”. Until final the day comes for final approval and they have streamlined the plan by going back to the original idea. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Here is the people on the committee. Somehow I was left off.

Huge committee! Let’s hope not too many cooks in the kitchen to make a solid strategic hire. They need to make a strategic business decision, not an academic or colloquial one.  Should look to find the person that can best charge things forward to success on and off the field/court/mat/pitch/pool. Three potential candidates mentioned may be good if they can do that. Hope the committee puts in the effort to root through it and McRib is just there to approve as a formality.