Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Nebraska 12/13 8 pm BTN

In the end, I'd much rather be correcting things after a win than a loss.  We are going to lose some games in the Big Ten that you wouldn't expect us to and we are going to win some games you wouldn't have expected us to.  Tonight wasn't the unexpected loss we could have had.

31 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Not sure TJD is surrounded by any better shooters.  I do think TJD presents himself better to guards than Vonleh did which is why he is scoring more.  A lot got blamed on our guards not getting the ball to Vonleh -- and they didn't -- but I think he didn't help out that much in flashing, either.

100%.

Vonleh would often stand sideways with his arm up in the air. I would laugh when Dickie V would yell “get him the ball” because Vonleh did not seal off his man or give the guards a viable passing lane. Not surprising for a very young big man. He was a monster on the boards though.

When it comes to instinctively knowing what to do on offense, freshman TJD is way ahead of freshman Vonleh.

Oh, how I long for the days of a Matt Roth or a Jordan Hulls (when healthy) or a Nick Zeisloft or even a Yogi Ferrell (the upperclassman). We still don't have that guy who can consistently knock down shots from distance. 

5 for 25 tonight -- that's downright embarrassing. We turn three of those 20 misses into makes and we don't need OT. 

They made 12. We made 5. That's how you end up in OT with a mediocre team. 

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I think it's official.   Tonight was the worst win in program history.

I'd go with this one.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=280540077

We were 22-4 entering the game.....but with Sampscum at the helm and deep in investigation, he gets bought out.  We came very close to a full team mutiny and weren't even sure what players were going to go to Northwestern.  We end up going and play a completely disinterested game against a Northwestern team that was 0-13 in conference play.  

I'd call that loss worse because it was an ultra talented squad of players who just weren't very likable.  I really don't dislike the players we have as individuals now.  But that 2007-8 team.... but there quite a few individuals on that team that I would have rather lost games without than won with.

#winning ugly lol were Hoosiers basketball is to be played a certain way and davis crean and so far archie are not up to par

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Honestly... the closest we’ve seen to getting back to Knight was under Crean. Which is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I think it's official.   Tonight was the worst win in program history.

The 73-72 squeaker over LIU-Brooklyn awhile back is up there. 

We also started one of the Mike Davis seasons by scoring in the 50's against Western Illinois and Indiana State. Now that I'm thinking about those years, I think we beat Oral Roberts by a point one time as well. 

I honestly think people are scared sh*tless of another late-season meltdown, to the point where everything that happens until then is a sign of the apocalypse. 

Unfortunately, fortunately, I didn’t get to see most of the game. However, a win is a win. It counts towards the overall goal of making the tourney.

From what I saw, Neb did a good job spreading the floor and opening driving lanes. Our on ball defense needs to tighten up. We can’t allow driving lanes against better teams. When we collapsed on drivers it wasn’t just a single weak side defender it was several defenders collapsing allowing wide open threes. That needs to get fixed ASAP.

Archie needs to be willing to abandon our two bigs with Smith at the 3 quicker. If we’re not closing out under control with two bigs we have to go smaller. Nebraska is a team that can only hang with us if they’re hitting threes.

Jackson-Davis is an absolute beast. I really hope we get another year out of him. I’d love to see what he could do with a junior Phin and senior Smith. We need some shooters to step up. Durham, Anderson, and Franklin need to start knocking down perimeter shots at a higher percentage.

I’m really happy with the rebounding and getting to the foul line. Those are winning aspects. The defense and shooting need to drastically improve in order to reach our potential.

Onward and upward. Beat the domers, ugly or pretty, just get the win.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m just taking things game by game, because although we are 10-1, my basketball eye tells me we suck. We do have an ace up our sleeve in TJD.

If Archie had recruited better........ give me Carton and Brooks on this team with TJD.

Much of our roster is bleh... can’t guard 1v1, shoot the ball. That’s a recipe for disaster yet we are 10-1. Hoping the avalanche doesn’t activate.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I only really like TJD, Phin, Smith (playing better but teams will sag off him as the season progresses and his offense will be nil).

So much for a deep roster. Kinda like, when you have 3 qbs you don’t have one. That’s why we have an 11 man rotation.

Franklin stunk the place up tonight. Another guard who can’t shoot.

All seem like good kids. Rooting for them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I’ll take the win. I’m an Archie supported, but I’m also fair and willing to criticize when warranted. I thought Archie was bad tonight. It was plain as day that the big lineup was killing IU. With Smith on the wing and two bigs that can’t shoot, Nebraska just packed the paint all night. Not only did it mean TJD didn’t have room to operate, but also none of guards could get to rim. 
It took Archie 30 minutes to recognize. Once he moved Smith to the 4 and  and went smaller, Smith thrived operating at the foul line and TJD finally had room operate. 

More than that too. Late game, they were getting TJD to switch on their guard and driving on him. 3 times I think. That was good coaching. No answer for it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

More than that too. Late game, they were getting TJD to switch on their guard and driving on him. 3 times I think. That was good coaching. No answer for it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, TJD struggled tonight defensively on the perimeter. He’s had games where he did well out there, but not tonight. I noticed out of a late timeout IU came out switching all screens, which isn’t normal for us. Archie was have been trying something different defensively since we were getting torched. 

Yeah, TJD struggled tonight defensively on the perimeter. He’s had games where he did well out there, but not tonight. I noticed out of a late timeout IU came out switching all screens, which isn’t normal for us. Archie was have been trying something different defensively since we were getting torched. 

He started doing that late against UCONN as well. If TJD doesn’t get switched to one of the guards it’s fine but he can’t stay in front of point guards. We need to have Smith or Anderson rotating back to take the lane away. We also get confused recovering from this with either both defenders (guy collapsing and guy covering) leaving the shooter or both going to the shooter. We need better communication with this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There's gotta be somebody on this team who can turn himself into a good shooter. As a freshman and sophomore, Oladipo couldn't throw the ball into the ocean. When he came back for his junior season, he was a pretty dadgum good shooter. I'm guessing he busted his A$$ during the offseason. It can be done.