Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Nebraska 12/13 8 pm BTN

29 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Lets not forget though it can be tough to come in as a Freshman with a vigorous training/lifting schedule where your body changes. Not saying that’s a huge problem, but it can play a factor.

I’ve calmed down since last night, but still very worried we might be on a similar path as lat year. I don’t think as severe, which means a tourney birth, but still very worrisome.

This team does ooze potential to be very good, especially when clicking. Just don’t get the inconsistency and lack of want to at times.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hopefully Rob will solve a lot of the head scratching issues we're seeing!

Cappy. I watched the game again today. And I agree a lot of it was Nebraska playing really well. We still have a lot to work on, but you make a lot of valid points. Too many bad TO and we need to continue to work inside out. If we can make some outside shots, we will open the floodgates on the offense end. Too many easy drives to the basket, but that was caused by some bad shooters making shots.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Cappy. I watched the game again today. And I agree a lot of it was Nebraska playing really well. We still have a lot to work on, but you make a lot of valid points. Too many bad TO and we need to continue to work inside out. If we can make some outside shots, we will open the floodgates on the offense end. Too many easy drives to the basket, but that was caused by some bad shooters making shots.  

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m convinced of it. That Nebraska just simply played above their potential Friday. It happens with some regularity in Div 1. Even with Indiana in past times. That said, there is also no question that our defensive system has certain flaws which allow middling teams to gain confidence and comfort given that there is a specific, known, blueprint on how to defeat it. We need to figure out a way to keep perimeter players in front without any overhelp which keeps leading to open looks. Teams will spread it out and ball screen until they get a mismatch. It’s what I’d do. Rob will help with that some, but all the guys have to work very hard on fighting through those screens. We over help unnecessarily in these situations. Good thing is, not all teams can play 5 out. Against those clubs, IU bigs can back off and play the same game Nebraska used against us...Goad non-shooters into taking the shots we want them to take. Might not be able to fix everything this year, or any other. This is a talented team of smart, quick, athletic players. If we can’t make the system hum with these guys, who does it take then?

8 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We had the 11-12, 12-13 and 15-16 seasons under Crean. Those are 3 of the Top 5 seasons we’ve had since Knight was fired. The 12-13 team was arguably the best team we’ve had since he was fired.

I didn't see anything from Crean that remotely reminded me of Knight. Good teams? Sure. Style of play or points of emphasis? Not at all.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I didn't see anything from Crean that remotely reminded me of Knight. Good teams? Sure. Style of play or points of emphasis? Not at all.

They both worked at Assembly Hall.
Aside from that no other similarities come to mind.

If fairness he said “since Knight was fired”. Don’t think he was comparing Crean to Knight.

Those teams played good offense and defense. The 12-12 and 15-16 teams won some grinding games and put points on teams. That’s what we expect right?

13 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

If fairness he said “since Knight was fired”. Don’t think he was comparing Crean to Knight.

The original post was something about Crean being the closest to getting back to Knight which I took as a comparison between the two. If we are just talking about winning games, it's a different conversation. As screwed up as he was, Sampson was closer to Knight stylistically than Crean.

The original post was something about Crean being the closest to getting back to Knight which I took as a comparison between the two. If we are just talking about winning games, it's a different conversation. As screwed up as he was, Sampson was closer to Knight stylistically than Crean.

Right. Out of Davis, Sampson, Crean and Archie, Crean has been the closest. It doesn’t mean it’s close. Just the closest. As in Denver is closer to Boston that Salt Lake City, LA and Portland.

I don't think it was meant as a comparison as much as just pointing out that some of our more successful seasons post-RMK came with Crean as coach.  Oy, that is sad and depressing since it's true.

Coaching basketball in Assembly Hall is about the only comparison between them.  RMK was incredible at that, Crean tried.

Anybody feeling better about Friday night's game with Nebraska currently beating up Purdue? Hoiberg appears to have them playing pretty well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottom Line, IU should have taken care of Nebrasketball earlier and not let them make a few amazing plays late to send it to overtime. It’s conference play now and there won’t be crazy blowouts (unless it’s IU playing at Wiscy).

1 hour ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Anybody feeling better about Friday night's game with Nebraska currently beating up Purdue? Hoiberg appears to have them playing pretty well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always feel good about a Purdue loss

Nebraska won at home. Big 10 teams are undefeated at home in conference play so far this season. What was troubling about Friday night's game was that it resembled for too much the conference play of last season--unforced turnovers, poor defense, inability to hit 3-point shots and free throws (until the end), lackluster effort through much of the game, and Archie Miller being out-coached by the opposing coach. That IU won on Friday (narrowly in overtime) or that Nebraska defeated Purdue in Lincoln today does not change the fact that there are serious problems with the team's play that must be fixed if IU is going to make the NCAA tournament.

9 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Nebraska won at home. Big 10 teams are undefeated at home in conference play so far this season. What was troubling about Friday night's game was that it resembled for too much the conference play of last season--unforced turnovers, poor defense, inability to hit 3-point shots and free throws (until the end), lackluster effort through much of the game, and Archie Miller being out-coached by the opposing coach. That IU won on Friday (narrowly in overtime) or that Nebraska defeated Purdue in Lincoln today does not change the fact that there are serious problems with the team's play that must be fixed if IU is going to make the NCAA tournament.

So basically, when we played like crap and Nebraska played really well...

we won.