Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Nebraska 12/13 8 pm BTN

The entire exchange began with a poster that said Crean’s recruits were some of our best players. I disagree and I was staying on that topic. As basketball players, I think we have multiple guys that are more competent than Durham and Smith. Do they necessarily have the same stats? No. They also don’t have the same experience or minutes. For example, if you give Hunter the kind of minutes that Durham and Smith have played to this point, I think he’s head and shoulders above both of them.
Edit: Minutes in his career*
Then I apologise for not understanding your intent. I took it as suggesting they aren't 2 of our better players which to me they are. Getting into comparing at points of time in their development is a whole different topic in which I'd agree mostly with you on. Let's put this one to bed

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Honestly I didn’t really intend for it to come off as me bashing Smith because I’ve been content with his play for the most part. I say Rob is indispensable because he’s the primary ball handler and the only true PG we have. 

Fair enough but he needs talent to distribute to as well. We need both those guys to play well to be successful. Right now their backups aren’t playing well enough and Al’s basketball IQ isn’t where you want it to be for a floor general. 

19 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Now, while I’ve been critical of Smith, I do like what I’m hearing from him in this press conference.

He really is an intelligent and well-spoken young man..  Trayce is pretty sharp too, for an 18 year old freshman.

4 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Osterman tweeted coach said Greens Achilles is bothering him

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

At what point do people start ripping on Cliff Marshall? What’s the difference between him and the guy before him that everyone jumped all over?

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We aren’t in the tourney yet and playing like this we won’t be. 

Anc I don’t give 2 craps that he knows what the problems are. They are the same problems 3 years running. He needs to start fixing them

We also won’t always play like we did tonight, night in and night out. I get everyone’s frustration, hell Archie told reporters just how frustrated he is. We’ll take a day or two off, rest up and get back to work. We played like crap, got away with a win and hopefully will bring it next weekend in Indy (I say this knowing all to well what a house of horrors Bankers Life has been)

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

The good news?   Out rebounded them by 23.   Shot 20 more FT's than they did.  Phinisee had 4 assists and 1 turnover in 30+ minutes.  TJD is a ballplayer.

I guess shooters are on the way in a year and I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.   And it was not pretty.   I'm not jumping off the cliff like some; and I have a whole lot more to say; but that was not their best performance.

Good for you finding positives (sincerely) but I don't see anything positive out of this. Absolutely nothing. IU was out-hustled in every facet of the game. Played lazy, indifferent defense like getting torched by 150lb walk-ons driving for lay-ups from 25ft out. Missed FT's, sloppy passes and unforced TO's. It was a complete train wreck against a collection of scrubs that couldn't make most D1 rosters. I am discouraged and every time I think there is light at the end of the tunnel a humiliation like this game happens. 

3 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

We also won’t always play like we did tonight, night in and night out. I get everyone’s frustration, hell Archie told reporters just how frustrated he is. We’ll take a day or two off, rest up and get back to work. We played like crap, got away with a win and hopefully will bring it next weekend in Indy (I say this knowing all to well what a house of horrors Bankers Life has been)

Heard we won’t keep playing like this 3 bad games in a row this year and starting loss 2 during the 13 game dumpster fire last year. 

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

At what point do people start ripping on Cliff Marshall? What’s the difference between him and the guy before him that everyone jumped all over?

This is a good point. I know injuries can happen at any time, but all of these for our guys since Marshall got here just seem..way too excessive. Looking at the S&C program might be a good idea idk.

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

This is a good point. I know injuries can happen at any time, but all of these for our guys since Marshall got here just seem..way too excessive. Looking at the S&C program might be a good idea idk.

Could also be the administration has gotten more careful since the Wilson debacle. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Same. These are troubling signs though

For sure. I'm not liking how things have looked so far, but we're 10-1 so I can't complain toooo much. I'm glad the cupcakes are almost over because it's hard to judge us when we're playing the little sisters of the poor. 

Got to give TJD his props....he certainly is a man.  Think back to the two players of most similar incoming pedigree to him --- Noah Vonleh and Thomas Bryant.  Have to say that TJD is better than either of them were as freshman.

I’d put him on the same level as Vonleh. Vonleh though was a HS senior his freshman year and was still a man in the Big Ten. I think a better coach or at least a team with some shooters and he would have been way better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Have there been a bunch of injuries? Yes. Is it on Cliff? Idk. I can’t rewind far enough on Hulu to see the play where Green was “injured” to see what happened. And some of the other major injuries (concussions, rib injuries) I don’t think you can blame on him though. Ankles happen, I had to wrap mine and wear a brace every single game I ever played in. Wasn’t a matter of if I was going to roll an ankle, it was when.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Someone brought up the early Crean teams so I went back and looked at the schedule from that season. I wonder if the MSU fans were melting down when their top-10 ranked team only managed a 5 point win against an IU team that had to recruit players at baseball tryouts and actually dressed a team manager at one point.

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

Good for you finding positives (sincerely) but I don't see anything positive out of this. Absolutely nothing. IU was out-hustled in every facet of the game. Played lazy, indifferent defense like getting torched by 150lb walk-ons driving for lay-ups from 25ft out. Missed FT's, sloppy passes and unforced TO's. It was a complete train wreck against a collection of scrubs that couldn't make most D1 rosters. I am discouraged and every time I think there is light at the end of the tunnel a humiliation like this game happens. 

Nebraska is ranked 149 on KenPom.  They aren't good, but saying that have a collection of scrubs that couldn't make most D1 rosters is beyond hyperbolic.  Also guess I'm not sure what "150 pound walk on" driving for lay-ups you are talking about since they don't list anyone under 190 pounds and all of their points were scored by scholarship players.

Just now, Bigred3588 said:

Someone brought up the early Crean teams so I went back and looked at the schedule from that season. I wonder if the MSU fans were melting down when the only managed a 5 point win against an IU team that had to recruit players at baseball tryouts and actually dressed a team manager at one point.

Dude whats your point? When was the last time MSU missed the tournament?

Actually we won a lot of close games in December and then proceeded to revert to the mean in January and February. 
Yeah you're right. I forgot about the close games early in the season last year and remembered them when I went back and looked. I guess I'm tired of being frustrated about the little things and if the team is able to gut out a win, regardless of the opponent and/or how ugly it is, I've decided to be happy with it and hope for growth.

Sent from my LM-G850 using BtownBanners mobile app