Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB vs UConn Game Thread 12/10 @ 9:00 pm ESPN

At least IU showed toughness Tuesday night. They could have folded in the 1st half when they got down by 10 points. But offensively, this is not a good team. And, had we played any of the top conference teams we would have been blown out as we did against Wisconsin. Archie has to be one of the least creative coaches at the college level in terms of offensive. It is the same look as last year--pass the ball around the perimeter until someone takes a bad shot. We did get some production out of the post (13 points combined from Brunk & Davis) which was nice, though Brunk was awful in the first half. Rob Phinisee looked good at times and while Green didn't have a great game (he shot poorly from the floor and missed 2 of 3 free throws in the final seconds of the game), the team played better when he was on the floor because Connecticut's defense was all over him. But, overall this win does not instill optimism about our chances in the Big Ten.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJOtmmLCCse-9UXD1l5McsOk6ElQijmjGZEr5HIYjQfe-MnTi2%26s&key=6110f376993ab3f0f2e7d46a3ba2a4477c7a36491f913328698466d64477390e

Yep. Not sure I would say any single person had a decent game. When’s the last time you could say that in a win? Rob did a really good job with only one turnover. Thought he was a steadying force. Can’t wait for him to get his legs back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

I've read quite a few people complaining about Green's missed free throws at the end, but no mention of his clutch steal that put him on the line.  

True, but he could've put the game away had he hit those FTs.  He makes a great play but then technically doesn't "finish".

Positives:

- After playing poorly and trailing for most of the first half, we took the lead before halftime.  Lost the lead and trailed by a few points in the second, but again came back and built a 2 or 3 possession lead and didn't give it up.  Regardless of how our opponent played, that's not something we would have done in the last couple of seasons.

- Brunk's redemption was critical, but I liked the attitude he brought with it.  He was playing with emotion in the second half like we've rarely seen recently.

- If this was the "bad" half of good/bad Devonte, it's far less destructive than prior seasons.  I think he is just an inconsistent type of player.  I'd much prefer consistency, but he didn't kill us last night by any means.  As long as he has the occasional FSU type games, I'll take it.

- Damezi is coming along. Kind of a work in progress but he's definitely a contributor.

- Hunter is looking more fluid and comfotable out there.  He's still ramping up his game.  I'm looking for the break out game - once he gets his confidence he can begin to realize his potential.

- Overall the entire team seemed confident and cohesive, even with the poor play.

- Our freshmen are contributing and that's big.  Both have adjustments to make but should continue to improve as the season progresses.

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In my opinion...

There is a natural myopic focus on everything bad happening being a direct result of IU's play. If you read the UConn board post-game thread it's the same thing; everything that was amiss was directly attributed to a UConn player.

Let's turn the tables a bit. Last night:

• UConn had real length and strength in the post. IU's bigs were up against high-level talent.
  • IU's bigs, especially Brunk, did a good job adjusting to their opponent and were much more effective late.
  • IU's guards had extremely active hands when doubling. UConn hasn't seen a team yet that closed gaps and driving lanes.
  • Polley on UConn is a matchup nightmare; he's very long but is a 40+% three point shooter. Smith on IU did a great job closing out on him. In fact, all of IU's closeouts were excellent, and frustrated UConn into a bad shooting night. 
  • UConn plays hard; they are engaged on defense on pretty much every possession. 
  • The level of intensity made it hard for the star freshmen on each team to thrive. Franklin, TJD, and Bouknight were a bit overwhelmed at times.

"IU's bigs, especially Brunk, did a good job adjusting to their opponent and were much more effective late."

A coworker and I were just talking about this earlier.  I thought Brunk did an excellent job adjusting in the 2nd half and was a huge catalyst to the push to increase the lead late.

8 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

What was up with that slippery floor? I haven’t seen that many guys go down for a longtime! Gezzzz

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I had to wonder if there is an ice rink under the floor (not uncommon in multi-use arenas). Whatever the reason, it was an injury risk.  Thankfully no one did get hurt.

This was a HUGE win. If we get Arkansas and Notre Dame, we look good on paper.

I think we are going to have to manufacture wins all along.

I hope this team and coach know we don’t have the offensive firepower to be lax on D.

I feel better. Winning helps.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Per Archie:

Rob Phinisee had more minutes on the court last night than he's had in practice over the last two months.FWIW, Rob Phinisee had 13 minutes on the court last night.

He is a fantastic on-court leader and contributor, and is only ten games into his sophomore year.The point guard position at IU is in very good hands.

Just now, coonhounds said:

Rob is the bright spot and we need him to get back to being able to be a 30 to 35 minute floor guy imo. He is clearly rusty and out of shape but I also think our best player when healthy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Rob, TJD, and Justin are cornerstones. Everyone else we have do certain things well. There's a "never know what you're gonna get" quality to eight of the players we use, and that makes it hard for Archie to find the best lineup on many nights. On the downside, that will likely be a common theme throughout the season. On the up side, Archie will have so many other viable choices when a player is not performing.

Rob, TJD, and Justin are cornerstones. Everyone else we have do certain things well. There's a "never know what you're gonna get" quality to eight of the players we use, and that makes it hard for Archie to find the best lineup on many nights. On the downside, that will likely be a common theme throughout the season. On the up side, Archie will have so many other viable choices when a player is not performing.

It’s so ironic that you listed Justin as a cornerstone. It’s a testament to his maturity and skill development that we can fit him into that slot. Last year at this time we were wondering if he would ever be even somewhat dependable. Kudos to him!

2 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

It’s so ironic that you listed Justin as a cornerstone. It’s a testament to his maturity and skill development that we can fit him into that slot. Last year at this time we were wondering if he would ever be even somewhat dependable. Kudos to him!

Yup - I thought that Justin Smith was quietly excellent last night. With very few exceptions, it seems as though the game summaries for him this year have been either 1) notably excellent, or 2) quietly excellent.

His defense is so consistently top shelf.