Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Wisconsin Game Thread 12/7 @ 4:30 pm BTN

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

I remember being surprised at how almost universally everyone thought that Archie had to make the tournament this year. So I do think that many are expecting us to make it.

I try to remain objective but it sure would be easier if we could string together some very good games this year. I don’t need them all to be wins but it would be nice to win 2 out of 3 and be competitive in all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You’re surprised at how many thought Archie should make the tourney this year? Look back when he was hired and 75%+ of the posters thought he would make the tourney in his first year. I’m in the camp that does not expect an unrealistic run in the tourney but in regards to getting into the tourney....yes, I expect/hope that we at least make the tourney. Don’t care what seed but please, in year 3, get in the tourney.

You’re surprised at how many thought Archie should make the tourney this year? Look back when he was hired and 75%+ of the posters thought he would make the tourney in his first year. I’m in the camp that does not expect an unrealistic run in the tourney but in regards to getting into the tourney....yes, I expect/hope that we at least make the tourney. Don’t care what seed but please, in year 3, get in the tourney.

I was surprised that most on here thought he had to make it this year. I think he does as well but as we argue about things I think collectively we all agree, they need to make the NCAA this year.

There are some on here who seem overly optimistic and push back on complaints but that might be due to those who are overly pessimistic.

Remembering that there is a clock ticking for this year that most agree with reminds me we likely agree with each other on the bigger picture things.

47 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I was surprised that most on here thought he had to make it this year. I think he does as well but as we argue about things I think collectively we all agree, they need to make the NCAA this year.

There are some on here who seem overly optimistic and push back on complaints but that might be due to those who are overly pessimistic.

Remembering that there is a clock ticking for this year that most agree with reminds me we likely agree with each other on the bigger picture things.

I agree, fully, with everything in this post.

I will add this: When Archie was first hired and introduced to the fans/media, if he had said it might take 3 or 4 seasons before we get in the tournament,  EVERY SINGLE ONE of us would have lost our minds.  Making the tournament (no huge accomplishment for a basketball school, IMO) by season 3 is a completely reasonable expectation.

(I still think CAM is a knowledgeable and very good coach)

29 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I think making the tournament this year is essential for perception and recruiting. I think I would consider myself one of the more positive when it comes to CAM, and I think it would put him in an impossible spot if he doesn’t this year. Would he get fired? Probably not. Would the fans that weren’t against the hire start turning on him? I think so.

Agree. I’d don’t hear anyone saying fire Archie but fans I talk to expect that progression to happen this year. It’s the reasonable expectation and fans will start to turn on Archie and/or lose interest if it doesn’t happen.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

I think making the tournament this year is essential for perception and recruiting. I think I would consider myself one of the more positive when it comes to CAM, and I think it would put him in an impossible spot if he doesn’t this year. Would he get fired? Probably not. Would the fans that weren’t against the hire start turning on him? I think so.

Oh he's essentially dead in the water if we don't make it this year. Fair to him or not, this fanbase is at its wits' end with basketball struggling. 

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Oh he's essentially dead in the water if we don't make it this year. Fair to him or not, this fanbase is at its wits' end with basketball struggling. 

I would hate to see him go, but I don't disagree with this statement. I think there are two extremes; those who never wanted him and those who will defend him until the end. Not making the tournament this year would stir up those in the middle, as a tournament birth in year 3 with a reasonably talented and deep roster is expected. 

As some have pointed out, if we want to recruit at a high level we have to prove we can win consistently, and making the tournament goes a long way in accomplishing that.

Agree. I’d don’t hear anyone saying fire Archie but fans I talk to expect that progression to happen this year. It’s the reasonable expectation and fans will start to turn on Archie and/or lose interest if it doesn’t happen.

Agree which is why getting blown out at Wisconsin is worthy of concern and discussion. Not in panic mode yet but this flipped quickly from an opportunity to an embarrassment.

I did not think we had to win this game but I expected us to battle and compete. It does only count as one loss but for a coach that needs to show the fan base that he is the guy this year we need less of these games.

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yup.

I agree, fully, with everything in this post.
I will add this: When Archie was first hired and introduced to the fans/media, if he had said it might take 3 or 4 seasons before we get in the tournament,  EVERY SINGLE ONE of us would have lost our minds.  Making the tournament (no huge accomplishment for a basketball school, IMO) by season 3 is a completely reasonable expectation.
(I still think CAM is a knowledgeable and very good coach)

I think he should have just been honest. Look how much that helped Crean. Crean told us it would take a lot of time. I think even he was surprised we were good in season 4. If Archie would have said “this is going to take a lot of time(and money). Fans will need to be ready for the long haul because it’ll take 4 or 5 years to lay the ground work.” That would have been better. It would have gotten people into a mindset. But then we aren’t told there is a massive rebuild until after a season of play? Where is the transparency and trust? We fans want to know just about everything and yet we got left in the dark. If it is going to take 4 or 5 years to get the ball rolling, we need to know. I didn’t expect them to make the tourney this season. But I’ll psych myself into thinking they will.

Agree which is why getting blown out at Wisconsin is worthy of concern and discussion. Not in panic mode yet but this flipped quickly from an opportunity to an embarrassment.

I did not think we had to win this game but I expected us to battle and compete. It does only count as one loss but for a coach that needs to show the fan base that he is the guy this year we need less of these games.

Yeah I think some are over the top but it’s their personality both ways. I mean, we saw Mid-major Miller be called out then edited in the Fire Glass thread. Just both ways can be over the top. When you lose like that it’s a collective effort or mentality. I am hopeful it was more of they just started reading their own press than something stupid happening behind the scenes. The ability to handle adversity is something this team will have to show. Last year or the year before we didn’t have that in us. If we do, I think we will be fine. If not? It will be another long year.

6 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I did not think we had to win this game but I expected us to battle and compete.

That was my primary disappointment with the loss.

It’s true we did not have Rob and we never win at Kohl.

However. There are many different ways to lose (get good shots but can’t hit anything, an opposing player goes off like never before, early foul trouble etc) but losing and hearing Archie, Hummel, Bardo etc talk about how we did not play hard is disappointing. On one hand it could be said that it was only one game but on the other hand we had way too many “mail-it-in” games last year (including the BTT game against OSU) to just call the Wiscy game a one-off. 

Hopefully Wiscy was an outlier for this years team and we will show up against UCONN. I really want this team, and Archie, to succeed.

20 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

Soooo, what had happened was, I was gifted a pass to something called the admiral club or something like that, inside Kohl by this dude I ran into before tip. Been pregaming since 1:00. Got in late. Was some 26 -7 or something. Start asking around about this pass to find out it’s free beers. At the half I’m pissed so I decide to go check this place out. Beers were not free. Regular towny bar prices though so I stayed for a couple 6-7 and by some miracle, run into a group of IU fans who are splitting and going back to the bar I had left earlier. My judgement is seriously compromised at this point because this sounds like a fantastic idea. Back at the Wandos, I decide on a Long Island Ice tea. Game is still going on tv and I’m half watching it and the blonde in the corner when out of the blue, I pull up the Btown app and start typing. Had to close one eye to complete my couple odd posts. Anyway I don’t believe the post was even meant for you. I tried a while later to say I was sorry, but it really just came out looking like I called the game sorry. So that’s how that all went. Please disregard anything prior to this.

***And that’s why I’ll never drink mystery shots with no dudes from Bedford again.

Who among us have not had a similar experience one time or another.