Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Wisconsin Game Thread 12/7 @ 4:30 pm BTN

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

In all 12 of 13 losses last year you saw lack of effort and mentality like they game yesterday? If so I disagree. I would of agreed on some games last year but not all 12 of the losses were due to lack of effort.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Some of our wins had a lack of effort as well last year. UC Davis for example. 

Agree with your general point, I’d just say that players being mentally ready to play and compete, and game plans, scouting, etc., are different things. 

Having Brunk chasing 3 point shooters around the arc was never going to be a winning formula but one the coaches put this team in and didn’t waver from it.

In all 12 of 13 losses last year you saw lack of effort and mentality like they game yesterday? If so I disagree. I would of agreed on some games last year but not all 12 of the losses were due to lack of effort.

Many of our losses and even wins as cannon mentioned for UC Davis we gave such lousy effort that we lose or win in an underwhelming way.

4 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Having Brunk chasing 3 point shooters around the arc was never going to be a winning formula but one the coaches put this team in and didn’t waver from it.

Like I said from the outset, Archie holds responsibility for some strategic things. The players hold responsibility for not coming ready to compete and play. 

A couple of thoughts
Before the Florida St game I said regardless of outcome it only counted as 1 game and try not to put much stock one way or the other into one outcome.

IU got dominated from start to finish last night no way around it. But to act like this never happens to other teams or to imply that this shouldn’t happen to a coach in his 3rd year is made up. Maybe I give too many on here too much credit for watching college basketball. Maybe they haven’t watched games or maybe this just don’t pay attention to other teams that this happens with. If you looked at box scores for the year and saw Wisky was 4-4 and lost to non power teams maybe you just assume that team has no business competing with the team you follow. However if you actually watch the games you realize they lost in OT to a St Mary’s team that many on here felt were a top 25 team, they lost to a Richmond team that has some good wins and only loss was to Auburn, they lost at NC State. Maybe their fools gold game was against New Mexico where they were just bad. This happens to every team every year. This is college basketball. Maybe this Wisky team will be a tough out at home. The 2 games at home against power 5 teams that will be in the tourney discussion they shot lights out and embarrassed their opponent. IU isn’t a special team that’s above not have it a crappy game because they are IU. They are going to have to scratch and claw all year especially against teams that will be in their same Tier group. Playing a game against a similar team on the road is always going to be tough. just because some want to down play Wisky and call them a crap doesn’t make it true. Even if you think they are crap shouldn’t some wait and see how other B1G teams preform on the road in that venue? IU sucked yesterday and no one should make an excuse for that however teams trying to build a resume are going to suck throughout the year and that’s not going to change. Teams effort level are going to be questioned all year when they lose big. I’m questioning St Mary’s effort against Dayton as I’m writing this but I’ve seen this team play really good basketball this year against resume building teams. I questioned Texas Techs effort against Creighton and even though they haven’t beat anybody I know they are capable of getting it together. IU has a chance to turn the page on a stinker of a game and get a quality Quad 2 neutral(road game unofficial) against UConn. Winning that game won’t guarantee anything but would go along way for some of you guys. The ups and downs of a season

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

A couple of thoughts
Before the Florida St game I said regardless of outcome it only counted as 1 game and try not to put much stock one way or the other into one outcome.

IU got dominated from start to finish last night no way around it. But to act like this never happens to other teams or to imply that this shouldn’t happen to a coach in his 3rd year is made up. Maybe I give too many on here too much credit for watching college basketball. Maybe they haven’t watched games or maybe this just don’t pay attention to other teams that this happens with. If you looked at box scores for the year and saw Wisky was 4-4 and lost to non power teams maybe you just assume that team has no business competing with the team you follow. However if you actually watch the games you realize they lost in OT to a St Mary’s team that many on here felt were a top 25 team, they lost to a Richmond team that has some good wins and only loss was to Auburn, they lost at NC State. Maybe their fools gold game was against New Mexico where they were just bad. This happens to every team every year. This is college basketball. Maybe this Wisky team will be a tough out at home. The 2 games at home against power 5 teams that will be in the tourney discussion they shot lights out and embarrassed their opponent. IU isn’t a special team that’s above not have it a crappy game because they are IU. They are going to have to scratch and claw all year especially against teams that will be in their same Tier group. Playing a game against a similar team on the road is always going to be tough. just because some want to down play Wisky and call them a crap doesn’t make it true. Even if you think they are crap shouldn’t some wait and see how other B1G teams preform on the road in that venue? IU sucked yesterday and no one should make an excuse for that however teams trying to build a resume are going to suck throughout the year and that’s not going to change. Teams effort level are going to be questioned all year when they lose big. I’m questioning St Mary’s effort against Dayton as I’m writing this but I’ve seen this team play really good basketball this year against resume building teams. I questioned Texas Techs effort against Creighton and even though they haven’t beat anybody I know they are capable of getting it together. IU has a chance to turn the page on a stinker of a game and get a quality Quad 2 neutral(road game unofficial) against UConn. Winning that game won’t guarantee anything but would go along way for some of you guys. The ups and downs of a season

It happens to coaches occasional. It’s happened to Archie a lot. Think he’s coached a total of 74 games at IU. Somebody posted a stat the other day that this is his 15th loss by 15 or more points. 

So that means 20+% of his games are blowout losses. That 20 percent of his games. Not 20 percent of his losses. Elite coaches hover around 20% losses 

It happens to coaches occasional. It’s happened to Archie a lot. Think he’s coached a total of 74 games at IU. Somebody posted a stat the other day that this is his 15th loss by 15 or more points. 

So that means 20+% of his games are blowout losses. That 20 percent of his games. Not 20 percent of his losses. Elite coaches hover around 20% losses 

Do they still count as 15 losses or does losing by +15 give him double losses?

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Do they still count as 15 losses or does losing by +15 give him double losses?

Oh please don’t try to pretend that yesterday wasn’t worse than a close game decided by one or two plays at the end. 

20% of games are losses from the get go because the team is just not there on any level to compete. Good coaches don’t lose 1/5 games before they begin. 

Oh please don’t try to pretend that yesterday wasn’t worse than a close game decided by one or two plays at the end. 

20% of games are losses from the get go because the team is just not there on any level to compete. Good coaches don’t lose 1/5 games before they begin. 

I don’t pretend. Yesterday was a Quad 1 loss on the road. Good coaches coach past the sweet 16 correct?

Fans are upset after yesterdays game because it was a test for many to see if we could take the next step. Beat a below average Wisky team on the road. Worst possible failure. The season aint over but we are going to have to win some games on the road in conference play.

Fans are upset after yesterdays game because it was a test for many to see if we could take the next step. Beat a below average Wisky team on the road. Worst possible failure. The season aint over but we are going to have to win some games on the road in conference play.
so they passed the first test and failed the second
Below average according to who? Regardless of if anyone thought they were below average they have curb stomped both high major teams they have played at home. Maybe some should wait and see how other B1G teams play at that below average Wisky team

I don’t pretend. Yesterday was a Quad 1 loss on the road. Good coaches coach past the sweet 16 correct?

And this is where analytics and the eye test don’t coincide.

Some losses or wins reveal more than quad 1,2,3. Some may portend the future.

I’m just glad we play UConn so soon, so we can play with a chip on our shoulder and see where we stack up.

A couple of thoughts

Great post

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oh it’s more than just me wondering that 

I remember being surprised at how almost universally everyone thought that Archie had to make the tournament this year. So I do think that many are expecting us to make it.

I try to remain objective but it sure would be easier if we could string together some very good games this year. I don’t need them all to be wins but it would be nice to win 2 out of 3 and be competitive in all of them.