Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Wisconsin Game Thread 12/7 @ 4:30 pm BTN

Well the alchohol was wearing off so I started drinking again. Reading this thread is funny I have matured some as a poster and realize nobody wants to hear negativity or positivity after a game like that lol. Not sure what I posted yesterday in this thread as I was thankfully blackout drunk. That game speaks for itself. I truly have realized there are more important things than iu basketball not much but some. Ready to watch next game hopefully the entire thing

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

When your coach doesn’t do it much... don’t expect many players.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Despite what the coach does or doesn't do, if you're a leader, you're a leader -- you step in and get the message across. And if you're not, you're not. We apparently don't have anyone who fits the bill. 

20 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

That was basically a practice for Wisconsin.  It's why I said I can't pick IU to win up in Madison until we actually do.

How they bounce back against UConn is huge.  If we can beat UConn and ND on a neutral floor, then take down Nebraska and Arkansas, I'd be very happy and forget about this game pretty quickly.

It's just a lot more concerning that we cannot defend the 3.  If we continue to allow teams to have their best shooting performances of the year from outside, Archie has to re-examine the type of defense he wants to run.  

Wisconsin could have shots in practice more contested than some of the ones they had against us yesterday.  That was pathetic; someone should've ripped into Smith when he just turned his head to look at the rim as a Wiscy player shot over him in the 2nd.

I don't understand the Brunk obsession. Would much rather have someone like a Jake Forrester on the team for 4 years who can develop. He couldn't even sniff the floor last year and Brunk is starting. Brunk is going to get eaten alive in B1G play.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BtownBanners mobile app

Who has a Brunk obsession? I’m on here an abnormal amount of time and have never seen anyone gushing over him

50 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

That was basically a practice for Wisconsin.  It's why I said I can't pick IU to win up in Madison until we actually do.

How they bounce back against UConn is huge.  If we can beat UConn and ND on a neutral floor, then take down Nebraska and Arkansas, I'd be very happy and forget about this game pretty quickly.

It's just a lot more concerning that we cannot defend the 3.  If we continue to allow teams to have their best shooting performances of the year from outside, Archie has to re-examine the type of defense he wants to run.  

UCONN at MSG is like a home game for them.

32 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Despite what the coach does or doesn't do, if you're a leader, you're a leader -- you step in and get the message across. And if you're not, you're not. We apparently don't have anyone who fits the bill. 

Good case in point, did you see when they showed the Wisconsin huddle where Trice basically ran the huddle and Gard let him do it? Can you envision anyone on IU’s roster doing that, or even being capable of it? I can’t. 

Sometimes players have to step up. While I can certainly point to a couple tactical things Archie could have done differently yesterday, the bottom line is that the players did not show up ready to play for this game.

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

Agreed. But it's more concerning when we can't defend the three OR prevent the drives to the basket for layups. Goodness, stop something!

Who has a Brunk obsession? I’m on here an abnormal amount of time and have never seen anyone gushing over him

Go back to the signing of him and the months after, it was a complete gushfest

I was wrong in saying he wouldn’t start...

48 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Who recruits the players? Who establishes the culture that produces leadership? The coach is always responsible.

At the 50,000 ft view, yes of course the coach is ultimately responsible for the program. On a game-to-game basis, the players hold responsibility too, and these guys did not come ready to play. 

3 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

The coach recruits the players! He is responsible for getting them ready to play. It is always on him.

That’s a very simplistic point of view. As someone that played college basketball, when I had a bad game or simply wasn’t ready to play for whatever reason mentally, which happens to every single player at some point, I never thought ‘well, the coach should had me ready’. 

If the players hold no responsibility then we might as well just have Archie play Greg Gard 1-on-1.

At the 50,000 ft view, yes of course the coach is ultimately responsible for the program. On a game-to-game basis, the players hold responsibility too, and these guys did not come ready to play. 

Also true, but as a player, you look to your coaches to scout the other team and put the players on the best position possible to succeed and I don’t think they did that at all.

We were getting destroyed early, rinse and repeat guys/plays and changes weren’t made to stop the leading, hell we didn’t even call a time out until we were almost buried

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That’s a very simplistic point of view. As someone that played college basketball, when I had a bad game or simply wasn’t ready to play for whatever reason mentally, which happens to every single player at some point, I never thought ‘well, the coach should had me ready’. 

If the players hold no responsibility then we might as well just have Archie play Greg Gard 1-on-1.

That’s the most ridiculous view of leadership I have ever heard. I have a team at work and ideally they will not need my help. But if they need my help because they are struggling it’s my job to help them. 

U are right but gradman is also right. The coach is ultimately responsible all great coaches take 100 percent responsibility for performance but me and u both know each individual player has a responsibility to come ready to play. For whatever reason that didn't happen yesterday and under archie that is becoming a issue. Still have faith in archie but really bad performances is becoming common place

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Also true, but as a player, you look to your coaches to scout the other team and put the players on the best position possible to succeed and I don’t think they did that at all.

We were getting destroyed early, rinse and repeat guys/plays and changes weren’t made to stop the leading, hell we didn’t even call a time out until we were almost buried

Agree with your general point, I’d just say that players being mentally ready to play and compete, and game plans, scouting, etc., are different things. 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s the most ridiculous view of leadership I have ever heard. I have a team at work and ideally they will not need my help. But if they need my help because they are struggling it’s my job to help them. 

What are you talking about? I never said anything about Archie not having to help the players. Archie absolutely holds blame for some strategic things that went wrong yesterday, which I previously said. But, Al Durham’s job is to come to the arena ready to play and compete. Joey Brunk’s job is to show up ready to play and compete, etc., etc.  

Players hold responsibility too. While your job as a leader at work is to put your employees in the right position to succeed and to develop strategies that will make your department/team successful, your employees job is to show up to wor ready to do work and do their jobs. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What are you talking about? I never said anything about Archie not having to help the players. Archie absolutely holds blame for some strategic things that went wrong yesterday, which I previously said. But, Al Durham’s job is to come to the arena ready to play and compete. Joey Brunk’s job is to show up ready to play and compete, etc., etc.  

Players hold responsibility too. While your job as a leader at work is to put your employees in the right position to succeed and to develop strategies that will make your department/team successful, your employees job is to show up to wor ready to do work and do their jobs. 

Yeah but if my employees are consistently not ready to work or uninterested in working that reflects much worse on me than it does on them. 

Archie should have had them ready. If they hadn’t done it themselves he should have done it

14 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

U are right but gradman is also right. The coach is ultimately responsible all great coaches take 100 percent responsibility for performance but me and u both know each individual player has a responsibility to come ready to play. For whatever reason that didn't happen yesterday and under archie that is becoming a issue. Still have faith in archie but really bad performances is becoming common place

Agree almost completely. A game like yesterday, as far as the effort and mentality at least, is on the players IMO, as an isolated game. If it becomes the norm, then it’s a program problem which absolutely falls on the coach. 

Im not ready to say, yet, that this is a problem for Archie. If it continues this season, then yes I agree. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah but if my employees are consistently not ready to work or uninterested in working that reflects much worse on me than it does on them. 

Archie should have had them ready. If they hadn’t done it themselves he should have done it

If it becomes a persistent problem, yes it’s on Archie. As of now this has only happened once this season. 

Agree almost completely. A game like yesterday, as far as the effort and mentality at least, is on the players IMO, as an isolated game. If it becomes the norm, then it’s a program problem which absolutely falls on the coach. 
Im not ready to say, yet, that this is a problem for Archie. If it continues this season, then yes I agree. 

Not yet clear if a trend but for 12 of 13 games last year and now in our first BT game.

Losing close yesterday would have been disappointing but getting blown out of the building was not good.

This is a prove it year for Archie. I want him to succeed but yesterday was a good test and we come up very short.

Not yet clear if a trend but for 12 of 13 games last year and now in our first BT game.

Losing close yesterday would have been disappointing but getting blown out of the building was not good.

This is a prove it year for Archie. I want him to succeed but yesterday was a good test and we come up very short.

In all 12 of 13 losses last year you saw lack of effort and mentality like they game yesterday? If so I disagree. I would of agreed on some games last year but not all 12 of the losses were due to lack of effort.