Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Florida St Game Thread 12/3 @ 9 pm ESPN2

I like this team with no stars approach. This can certainly work and has at Wisconsin, PU, Butler, Michigan and several others.
The question is going to be long term if getting lower ranked 3-4 star players and developing them as a tough minded defense first team is something Archie can make work for an extended period of time like at the above schools. If it is I am all on board.

TJD is a star.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We have a star in TJD. He just doesn't act like one, which is the best kind of star to have in college basketball.

Agreed. Carsen Edwards was like that for PU, Kamar Baldwin for Butler is as well. Maybe a few others on the teams I mentioned. My point was I like this winning formula with lower ranked players and 1-2 humble stars (Zeller and Oladipo were that) who don't act like stars and a bunch of 3-4 star recruits that can develop into team.   

First game I've gotten to watch in it's entirety. All I can say is "the pack line defense doesn't work" LOL!

Franklin is impressive as a freshman, we'll need Rob though. Hunter looked lost as a freshman probably should in a big game. Can't rely on Green hitting 30 everynight, we'll need others to step up including Al, Smith, and Rob when he's healthy. 

Great win, Assembly looked like it was rocking last night. There''s no place like it! 

Looking at FSUs 3PT percentage doesn't tell the whole story of our 3PT defense. Without those three mistakes leaving FSU with near open 3's, they would have gone 4-16. I think overall the Hoosiers did a great job of closing out and applying pressure on the perimeter outside of those first couple minutes to start the second half.

Love this win and love this team! Devonte obviously can’t produce that type of game every night but I seriously think he’s improved in every facet and has bought in for his senior year. TJD is a monster and Smith is another excellent piece. The defense looked terrific last night and Franklin/Durham’s poise when facing the press was impressive.

However, the one thing I’m worried about, and I could very well be wrong and hope to hear your guys’ opinions is that we might be a bit too reliant on the charity stripe. We haven’t played a game away from home yet and I’m afraid we can’t expect to get to the line and maintain this free throw rate on the road. Once again, don’t mean to be a debbie downer at all, the team will be a serious contender for Big Ten title but I’m just interested in the board’s thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I remember when I expected the Hoosiers to win every game no matter who they played. If they lost, it was because they had a bad game. The other team was never better. Of course gas was a quarter a gallon and you could get a Coke for a nickel from the vending machine.
Damn, you are as old as me!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Looking at FSUs 3PT percentage doesn't tell the whole story of our 3PT defense. Without those three mistakes leaving FSU with near open 3's, they would have gone 4-16. I think overall the Hoosiers did a great job of closing out and applying pressure on the perimeter outside of those first couple minutes to start the second half.

Very true. And honestly while it’s not great if 7–19 is a bad night for our 3 point defense I can live with it. 

So after going 2 for 2 on guards outplaying their rankings. What’s your assessment on the 2020 class?

Have they really outplayed their rankings though? Based on production, I’d say they haven’t. They have both been serviceable players as freshmen. Thats what low end 4 stars, high end 3 stars are supposed to be.

Now, both are smart, well coached, capable, and seem poised for solid careers.

I think Trey Galloway is gritty, tough, smart, and athletic. I’m not sure how we will use him, but I’m happy to have him.

Leal can make shots, is he strong/tough enough for B1G or will he be more of an off ball shooter?

No, but not because it couldn't happen.
We have a very very different team. Last year's collapse has no relevance to this year. Can teams develop chemistry issues and collapse? Sure, and when ya least expect it. But, it doesn't happen often when a team is as balanced and seemingly well-constructed as this one is, and unless and until something goes wrong, there's no need to fret...
just enjoy the ride!

To be fair, did you honestly feel last years team had chemistry issues and might fall apart right after the Marquette game? I did not.

Have they really outplayed their rankings though? Based on production, I’d say they haven’t. They have both been serviceable players as freshmen. Thats what low end 4 stars, high end 3 stars are supposed to be.

Now, both are smart, well coached, capable, and seem poised for solid careers.

I think Trey Galloway is gritty, tough, smart, and athletic. I’m not sure how we will use him, but I’m happy to have him.

Leal can make shots, is he strong/tough enough for B1G or will he be more of an off ball shooter?

If Leal can defend at a similar level as Anderson while being an off ball shooter he’ll contribute as a freshman. If Anderson continues the solid defense while knocking down open looks we’ll have two dependable shooters. That’ll be a new piece we really haven’t had under Archie.

I’ll take the gritty, tough, smart, and athletic Galloway too.

The thing I’m most excited about with the 2020 class is them coming into a better culture. I believe next summer and early fall will be filled with some battles between returning players and freshmen. It’ll do nothing but help the program.

The media won’t talk much if any about this game, but we played awesome tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
The boys on Inside College Basketball were all singing their praises this morning. I don't know about ESPN. I rarely watch Sportscenter.

Why?

Don’t ask Fk always has extreme hatreds of various people. I’m sure it’s over some way that Delaney has purposefully wronged Indiana because Delaney specifically hates us blah blah blah