Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Extend Tom Allen

Can you read? I gave Allen credit for winning those games. Those that downplay the fact we beat zero teams with a winning record lack the perspective. The schedule came to us in a big way and it wont be that way moving forward. So when you are talking about giving a coach an extension yeah it matters who we beat.

But at Indiana, no it really doesn’t. Because 8 wins regardless of opponent is a rare feat for IUFB. The recruiting success CTA has had is rare for IUFB. The fact that he loves this program and wants to be here is rare.

There’s nothing to diminish. Extend the man.

56 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

But at Indiana, no it really doesn’t. Because 8 wins regardless of opponent is a rare feat for IUFB. The recruiting success CTA has had is rare for IUFB. The fact that he loves this program and wants to be here is rare.

There’s nothing to diminish. Extend the man.

It’s like moving the goalposts every time this team hits a goal and telling them nah sorry you have to beat teams with amazing records or winning records to get respect from IU fans. It’s a joke. It was just win winnable games and be decent and get to a bowl. Everyone was whining for the past two seasons....Tom has missed the bowl. He needs to get to a bowl. Well he’s made a bowl and he’s 8-4. Eight......and Four. Stop moving the goalposts and looking for ways to discredit this team. This staff and HC did what many felt like they wouldn’t do....this team won multiple big ten games. 

It’s like moving the goalposts every time this team hits a goal and telling them nah sorry you have to beat teams with amazing records or winning records to get respect from IU fans. It’s a joke. It was just win winnable games and be decent and get to a bowl. Everyone was whining for the past two seasons....Tom has missed the bowl. He needs to get to a bowl. Well he’s made a bowl and he’s 8-4. Eight......and Four. Stop moving the goalposts and looking for ways to discredit this team. This staff and HC did what many felt like they wouldn’t do....this team won multiple big ten games. 

This team went 3-2 on the road and 5-4 in conference. When was the last time we had winning records on the road and in conference?

Tom Allen exceeded expectations this year, plain and simple. Expectations shifted throughout the season as we realized we had a better team than we expected. It sucks knowing we were really only a few plays away from being 10-2 with wins at MSU and at PSU.

I can't believe how many people are questioning our record in any way. Yes it is what it is. We are 8-4 and our 8 wins came against teams that have a combined record of 25-71. We didn't beat a single team that was any good at all. But WHO CARES?!?! We should not apologize in the slightest bit for that. B/c in the past, the fact of the matter is we would have still LOST to several of those not very good teams. In seasons past there is no way we close the game out against Nebraska on the road, Maryland on the road, or Purdue on the road. No way. we blow those games and end up 5-7. This was HUGE step forward for the program. We aren't Iowa, we aren't Wisconsin, we aren't (fill in the blank). If Iowa or Wisconsin went 8-4 against our same schedule, they'd probably be a bit disappointed. But have some perspective!! And another point about our schedule, just look back the past several years. Not only do we play OSU, Mich, PSU, and MSU every year, our cross over games with the West has included either Iowa, Wisconsin, or a ranked Nebraska. We've paid our dues with the schedule. It was about time we got a break and we took advantage of it! Celebrate it! Gloat about it! Don't apologize to a single person for it! We won 8 games against a bunch of terrible teams and I loved every damn minute of it!

Now if we somehow land in the Music City Bowl I'll know this is all actually just a dream and it didn't really happen. 

50 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

Its not moving the goalposts. Its a simple fact that we did not beat a single team with a winning record. That MUST be factored in to some extent. We will not benefit from that weak of schedule moving forward.  Kudos to Allen for winning those games. If we can only beat bad teams then we are looking at 5-6 wins next year. Now go ahead and reply with your typical half page childish rant.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I can't believe how many people are questioning our record in any way. Yes it is what it is. We are 8-4 and our 8 wins came against teams that have a combined record of 25-71. We didn't beat a single team that was any good at all. But WHO CARES?!?! We should not apologize in the slightest bit for that. B/c in the past, the fact of the matter is we would have still LOST to several of those not very good teams. In seasons past there is no way we close the game out against Nebraska on the road, Maryland on the road, or Purdue on the road. No way. we blow those games and end up 5-7. This was HUGE step forward for the program. We aren't Iowa, we aren't Wisconsin, we aren't (fill in the blank). If Iowa or Wisconsin went 8-4 against our same schedule, they'd probably be a bit disappointed. But have some perspective!! And another point about our schedule, just look back the past several years. Not only do we play OSU, Mich, PSU, and MSU every year, our cross over games with the West has included either Iowa, Wisconsin, or a ranked Nebraska. We've paid our dues with the schedule. It was about time we got a break and we took advantage of it! Celebrate it! Gloat about it! Don't apologize to a single person for it! We won 8 games against a bunch of terrible teams and I loved every damn minute of it!

Now if we somehow land in the Music City Bowl I'll know this is all actually just a dream and it didn't really happen. 

25-71 lol! Worse than I thought.

Let me reiterate Allen WILL get a nice raise and Im fine with it. But if you refuse to factor in the fact that those 8 wins came against teams a combined 25-71 (per Nashvile) you arent being honest about where we are at as a program or what we can realistically accomplish moving forward.

6 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Let me reiterate Allen WILL get a nice raise and Im fine with it. But if you refuse to factor in the fact that those 8 wins came against teams a combined 25-71 (per Nashvile) you arent being honest about where we are at as a program or what we can realistically accomplish moving forward.

We beat the team on the schedule. He went 8-1 against teams with an inferior record. When was the last time an IU coach could say that 

I think everyone gets that end of it but they also realize we have had this type of schedule over the years and still did not get to 8-4. It’s IU football. We have never beat who we should. I think the thing Lucel is saying is do you remember who all we beat in 93 without looking it up? We beat one ranked team that year and they ended up 6-6. No team we beat that year had a winning record either. We mainly beat up on very bad teams that year too. Our teams we beat that year had a collective 33 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Full disclosure, I got those numbers from someone on Twitter last night and I haven't taken any time at all to verify. It seems about right though. 

That said, I think you're just completely underselling it and missing a large part of the point here. Regardless of how bad the team were that we beat, we still would have lost to several of them in years past and ended up with a losing record, or maybe eked out a 6-6 record. We took a huge step forward as a program this year with on field results. We went from laughing stock bottom feeders who consistently blew some games we shouldn't have, to a team that finally beat the teams we should beat.  Recruiting has improved, player development has improved, and finally, results have improved. Does that mean we'll win 8 games every season? No of course not. But don't undersell this as a huge step forward that no other coach in recent history has been able to achieve.  

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

I think everyone gets that end of it but they also realize we have had this type of schedule over the years and still did not get to 8-4. It’s IU football. We have never beat who we should. I think the thing Lucel is saying is do you remember who all we beat in 93 without looking it up? We beat one ranked team that year and they ended up 6-6. No team we beat that year had a winning record either. We mainly beat up on very bad teams that year too. Our teams we beat that year had a collective 33 wins.

Which kinda proves my point  that weak schedules can be fools gold.

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Full disclosure, I got those numbers from someone on Twitter last night and I haven't taken any time at all to verify. It seems about right though. 

That said, I think you're just completely underselling it and missing a large part of the point here. Regardless of how bad the team were that we beat, we still would have lost to several of them in years past and ended up with a losing record, or maybe eked out a 6-6 record. We took a huge step forward as a program this year with on field results. We went from laughing stock bottom feeders who consistently blew some games we shouldn't have, to a team that finally beat the teams we should beat.  Recruiting has improved, player development has improved, and finally, results have improved. Does that mean we'll win 8 games every season? No of course not. But don't undersell this as a huge step forward that no other coach in recent history has been able to achieve.  

I give Allen credit for winning those games.

Which kinda proves my point  that weak schedules can be fools gold.

I definitely get what you are saying and I think you are basing your thoughts on what this means for future success. I say enjoy it because it doesn’t happen often. I think that’s where I am because we play weak schedules like this every year. Our non conference is weak every year. B1G always has teams that surprise, teams that suck, and teams we won’t beat. I think us doing what we should is a huge step in the right direction. Whether that leads to future success I don’t know. I am enjoying getting to 8-4 and hoping we get to 9 wins. I can almost guarantee every season we got to 8 wins we weren’t playing many teams with winning records. That said we may go 6-6 and we are still moving in the right direction. Our conference schedule may come out looking tougher than we thought in hindsight. I don’t know?

8 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

We were robbed against Penn State. Should have 9 wins right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Maybe but with that logic you could also say we should have lost at Purdue as poorly as we played in the second half. It is what it is.

37 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Its not moving the goalposts. Its a simple fact that we did not beat a single team with a winning record. That MUST be factored in to some extent. We will not benefit from that weak of schedule moving forward.  Kudos to Allen for winning those games. If we can only beat bad teams then we are looking at 5-6 wins next year. Now go ahead and reply with your typical half page childish rant.

That’s not even what I’m saying. The fans voiced that they wanted us to win the winnable games and hopefully get a huge upset. I didn’t take any personal shots....but since I’m childish.....And have childish takes....up yours buddy ol pal.  Childish rant because I actually listed things that were asked of this team and once they did it....nobody gave them credit for winning and bashed them and their record....so if that’s childish okay you win big boy. Your twitter fingers have a lot of threats and down talking.....sorry my childish rant hurt you....do you need me to lay out what I’m saying.....take personal shots when you have no counter points to what I’m actually saying. 

here you go...it’s laid out for you and as MD said it’s based off of past items....it’s based off the past that coaches have historically choked and gone 4-8,3-9,5-7 with this seasons schedule. Once we hit bowl bound and then once again when this team hit wins 7 and 8 this team was shat on by their own fans and crowd. So if it’s childish for me to back the team....darn.

goalposts

1. This season win the winnable games that you should. Don’t choke like the past 50 years. 

2. then goalposts were moved by fans and discrediting the team saying they haven’t done anything. We won’t show up til they beat a ranked team.....

3. Beat a ranked team then we are for real....newsflash....we have beaten ranked teams what 3 times in the past 7 years. 

4. I’ll expect number 3 once we win winnable games....but I guess we want a big top 5 win and a huge raise....then go 4-8 and we will be happy.....

5. Next season should be let’s beat some ranked teams or historically better teams. 

but hey I’m a child what do I know. Mr. Alford is the almighty on this board throwing personal insults when i said nothing....let the record show. 

18 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

That’s not even what I’m saying. The fans voiced that they wanted us to win the winnable games and hopefully get a huge upset. I didn’t take any personal shots....but since I’m childish.....And have childish takes....up yours buddy ol pal.  Childish rant because I actually listed things that were asked of this team and once they did it....nobody gave them credit for winning and bashed them and their record....so if that’s childish okay you win big boy. Your twitter fingers have a lot of threats and down talking.....sorry my childish rant hurt you....do you need me to lay out what I’m saying.....take personal shots when you have no counter points to what I’m actually saying. 

here you go...it’s laid out for you and as MD said it’s based off of past items....it’s based off the past that coaches have historically choked and gone 4-8,3-9,5-7 with this seasons schedule. Once we hit bowl bound and then once again when this team hit wins 7 and 8 this team was shat on by their own fans and crowd. So if it’s childish for me to back the team....darn.

goalposts

1. This season win the winnable games that you should. Don’t choke like the past 50 years. 

2. then goalposts were moved by fans and discrediting the team saying they haven’t done anything. We won’t show up til they beat a ranked team.....

3. Beat a ranked team then we are for real....newsflash....we have beaten ranked teams what 3 times in the past 7 years. 

4. I’ll expect number 3 once we win winnable games....but I guess we want a big top 5 win and a huge raise....then go 4-8 and we will be happy.....

5. Next season should be let’s beat some ranked teams or historically better teams. 

but hey I’m a child what do I know. Mr. Alford is the almighty on this board throwing personal insults when i said nothing....let the record show. 

And there it is lol.