Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs LA Tech Game Thread 11/25 8:30 pm BTN

It's not a vendetta at all.  You said you can live with the bad plays....   I don't know a successful coach who can live with bad plays.  Why - after being complimentary of him for several months - is pointing out that he had a bad half (as did about everyone who wrote about the game) and looked like the player he used to be for a few minutes a "vendetta?"   Serious question.   You see a different game than Coach Miller, too.  He mentioned the quick shots, bad angles, and sloppy half.  Why do I (or others) have a vendetta for mentioning the same things?
There's a difference between creating "electric" plays or taking them when they're there.  Green played much better late in the year last season because he stopped trying to create plays and let the game come.  Took advantage of opportunities rather than trying to make them.  The other night, for a half, he reverted back to trying to create them.  And pointing that out (which is all I did in my original post) is a "vendetta?"   Seems a little dramatic to me.  Anyone who believes that needs to read the things said about him that were complimentary and frankly be more realistic about what's being written.
The Big Ten is a league that's tough and many games are close.  Living with bad plays will get you beat.   If you take two teams with relatively equal talent; one takes advantage of opportunities, plays with solid fundamentals when they AREN't,  and takes care of the ball; the other tries to create opportunities and lives with bad plays while trying to be "electric," which team is going to win 99 times out of 100?   
Edit :  This is only my perspective, but I also said the whole team played poorly in the 2nd half.  Green and others.   And we let a team hang around.  We let a 23 point lead get down to 11.  I guess I don't understand at all why it's not okay to say that's....not okay.  We all want to win, right?  Then we can't take bad shots (and a quick 3 when you're up 16 when a team's coming back on you is a bad shot); you can't make passes through traffic or with bad angles because you're trying to be "electric."  You want Indiana to beat Ohio State?  Purdue?  We can't have a second half like that.  That's from Coach Miller...not me.

It’s a difference in finally winning at Wiscy for the first time in forever and flying back to Btown with an L. Teams like that feast off of terrible plays.

I don’t see your criticism as a negative, more so of what Green can be if he plays within the offense. Sometimes we do need a player to go get a bucket but more often than not we need players who move to get a great look.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

It’s a difference in finally winning at Wiscy for the first time in forever and flying back to Btown with an L. Teams like that feast off of terrible plays.

I don’t see your criticism as a negative, more so of what Green can be if he plays within the offense. Sometimes we do need a player to go get a bucket but more often than not we need players who move to get a great look.

And it's nice to know that Archie has options (when Rob's healthy) to keep the bad plays to a minimum. 

13 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

People won't like it, but IMHO Green isn't a good enough shooter to take any shot he wants; he needs to be selective.  Problem there is the majority of his tune here says his decision making is questionable at best.

Most of his career he's been a turnover waiting to happen and prone to terrible decisions, a short stretch doesn't erase that.

yep

It is interesting to read fans trash an IU player who scored 16 points on 6 for 11 from the field including 3 for 5 from 3-point range in a double digit victory over the best team IU has played to date. Yes he had 4 turnovers but Durham had 5. The whole team was sloppy the second half. We likely wouldn't have been in the game without Green's first half offensive performance. And, he played pretty good defense throughout the game. Give it a rest.

Who is trashing him?

Not a good enough shooter to be taking heat checks... that applies to everyone on the team.

Turnover waiting to happen... that has been several players.

Why do people read things as so black and white?! Green has the chance to be really good this season. He has a chance to be even better (and what I see people saying here) if he eliminates a few bad decisions per game. That applies to everyone on the team.

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

It is interesting to read fans trash an IU player who scored 16 points on 6 for 11 from the field including 3 for 5 from 3-point range in a double digit victory over the best team IU has played to date. Yes he had 4 turnovers but Durham had 5. The whole team was sloppy the second half. We likely wouldn't have been in the game without Green's first half offensive performance. And, he played pretty good defense throughout the game. Give it a rest.

So all that matters are raw numbers, is that correct?   Many have complained about the strength of schedule.  "We don't get anything from these games!"   You've seen that, right?  So in a game where we had a 23 point lead against an inferior opponent, letting that lead get down to 11 and letting them hang around is just FINE!   We don't need to learn lessons from THAT!    The second half doesn't matter...we don't GET anything from these games.

Until you do that stuff against Purdue.  Or Michigan.  A good first half erases a bad second half?   Pointing out (after complimenting a kid for 9 months) that he reverted back to his old ways for a half.  A HALF..   Is "trashing him?"  Um....wow.   I said and others have said the entire team played poorly.   Durham doesn't have Green's track record....so the comment really couldn't be made about him in the same way.  

Let's say your kid has a really great first half of the semester.  Straight A's.   His/her goal is to get into a great college he/she loves and it requires a high GPA to do it.  (Indiana's goal is to win titles....follow me here)  Your kid shows some lethargy around Thanksgiving.  Grades drop a bit, focus drops a bit.  You point out the facts.  They've been watching more TV, going to bed later, spending more time with social stuff and less on their grades.  So you say "hey man...you've had a terrific semester.  You got off to a great start, but staying up until midnight may not be the best idea; and watching TV won't help your algebra grade.  Let's make sure we maintain our focus for 5 more weeks, okay?"   "DAD!!!  STOP TRASHING ME!!!!!!"

That's basically what you're saying.  There is something else that needs to be "given a rest," and it's the absolute requirement around here that reality gets ignored sometimes in favor of what some want to hear.  Whether that's good or bad.   I've been first in line to point out why NOT to fire Tom Allen, Archie Miller, or Fred Glass because SO much is positive for IU Athletics right now.   The team played a bad half.  That happened.  A kid who's had problems with turnovers, poor decisions, and selfish moments had a few of those in that same bad half.  So pointing it out is trashing him because his overall numbers were okay?   Fellas...just accept that sloppy's not okay.  Mistakes of omission are not okay.  8 FG's in a half is not okay....and there are reasons that happened.   They're not because we were missing good shots.   Please accept not everyone looks solely  at raw numbers as their basis for the whole story.