Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs LA Tech Game Thread 11/25 8:30 pm BTN

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m not sure who should be getting some of Franklins minutes, but he doesn’t add much right besides being fundamentally sound. So apparently that’s enough to get minutes over other guys. Assuming a healthy Phin takes many of those minutes.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I would imagine Phin. Offensively his shot not falling like I would have hoped. He did play some good defense but did get showed some upper classman shake and bake moves. I did however like the 3 charging fouls that he took during the game. He has done that regularly thru the first 6 games. Not afraid to take a hit. These minutes will pay dividends when we need it down the line.

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

I think getting Phinisee back healthy and in condition will solve a lot of the problems we had in the second half. Green is not in game shape yet either and that showed some also as the game went. The minutes that Franklin is getting now will pay off down the road this season. All in all, I feel much better than I did last year at this time.

I do worry that RP hasn't looked as sharp as I expected. Maybe lack of practice time early on.

4 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

I do worry that RP hasn't looked as sharp as I expected. Maybe lack of practice time early on.

I was hoping to see a bigger jump from Phinisee too after how he did last year when healthy.  Hoping it's just a lack of practice time, but health is becoming a concern to me.

Points per Possession
2 Point FG @ 60%; 1.20
3 Point FG @ 40%: 1.20
1 and 1 @ 75%: 1.31
2 Shots @ 75%:: 1.50
This is why Archie is foregoing FGA for drawing fouls 

Great breakdown.

So you’re saying we need to shoot more threes?

We won’t be able to continue to draw fouls at the rate we have been against better teams. They’ll have bigger, faster, more athletic, more skilled, and smarter players than we’ve faced so far. However, if we’re able to shoot FTs at a good percentage and get an opposing player or two in foul trouble we’ll be just fine. That 1.5 (1.31) is far more important when it also includes an opposing player going to the bench early.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Great breakdown.

So you’re saying we need to shoot more threes?

We won’t be able to continue to draw fouls at the rate we have been against better teams. They’ll have bigger, faster, more athletic, more skilled, and smarter players than we’ve faced so far. However, if we’re able to shoot FTs at a good percentage and get an opposing player or two in foul trouble we’ll be just fine. That 1.5 (1.31) is far more important when it also includes an opposing player going to the bench early.

Yeah I was shocked how evenly the fouls were distributed yesterday.  Key is to get 1 or 2 key players in trouble early.  

On 3 point shooting I think ideally we shoot about 16-18 a game.  As long as we are hitting about 1/3 of the while guarded that will create space. We were missing them wide open last year 

I fully expect Smith and Trayce to maintain above 50% 2 point scoring so that’s more efficient at the time.  Plus better chance of drawing a foul. 

37 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

If this has already been discussed, I apologize.

Who will be starting when Rob and Green are 100%?

Al has to start.  He is our best player so far this year.

Then I guess let one of those two earn their way into the lineup.  Right now I'd have to go with our senior captain.

If this has already been discussed, I apologize.
Who will be starting when Rob and Green are 100%?

Neither. Rob hasn’t looked great this year. Decision making has been subpar and so has his offense. I think he’s a perfect bench partner for Green and Green is the perfect 6th man that can come in and ignite some offense. With Phinisee as his bench partner basically, you’d have offense and defense. There is enough time in the game to split two positions between Al, Franklin, Green and Rob. Franklin goes well with the starters because he doesn’t expect to score a ton and isn’t ball dominate kind of like Brunk and that goes well with Al, Smith and TJD. Then coming off the bench you have Green, Rob, Thompson, Hunter and Davis and you still have scoring, defense and ball handling.

I agree Rob hasn't looked 100%. His field goal percentage is a little low at 42% and turnovers a little high at 2.5. But he is still averaging 9 pts and 4.5 ast. If you don't count the Princeton game where he only played 11 minutes due to injury, he is averaging 11.5 points and 5 assists.

I agree that Al should start as he has been phenomenal and our best guard so far. But I think Rob should start once fully healthy (knock on wood) and Devonte should continue to provide needed scoring off the bench.

Rob is still by far the best ball handler and on ball defender. Al struggles handling the ball against pressure  and that will only get worse once IU starts playing tougher competition, and Devonte will always have turnover issues as it is who he is. Al has really struggled to keep the other teams point guards in front of him this year as well. But he is a good defender against secondary handlers. I think starting Rob and playing him the large majority of minutes at point is this teams best option. Just my opinion though. 

I agree Rob hasn't looked 100%. His field goal percentage is a little low at 42% and turnovers a little high at 2.5. But he is still averaging 9 pts and 4.5 ast. If you don't count the Princeton game where he only played 11 minutes due to injury, he is averaging 11.5 points and 5 assists.
I agree that Al should start as he has been phenomenal and our best guard so far. But I think Rob should start once fully healthy (knock on wood) and Devonte should continue to provide needed scoring off the bench.
Rob is still by far the best ball handler and on ball defender. Al struggles handling the ball against pressure  and that will only get worse once IU starts playing tougher competition, and Devonte will always have turnover issues as it is who he is. Al has really struggled to keep the other teams point guards in front of him this year as well. But he is a good defender against secondary handlers. I think starting Rob and playing him the large majority of minutes at point is this teams best option. Just my opinion though. 

If things don’t change when he goes into the game it’s fine. But the offense looks stagnant a lot because he handles the ball so much and more ball screens are set while he’s in. But until the starting 5 stops working, no need to change it.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If things don’t change when he goes into the game it’s fine. But the offense looks stagnant a lot because he handles the ball so much and more ball screens are set while he’s in. But until the starting 5 stops working, no need to change it.

If Rob is fully healthy I believe he should start. So we will agree to disagree. 

I think it will depend on who we are playing. Rob is our PG when healthy. Period! I do see times when we start Al, Rob, Devonte, Justin, and TJD. Other times Joey will start. Depends on the other teams make up but it doesn’t really matter because most of the guys will get plenty of time. JMO

I think it will depend on who we are playing. Rob is our PG when healthy. Period! I do see times when we start Al, Rob, Devonte, Justin, and TJD. Other times Joey will start. Depends on the other teams make up but it doesn’t really matter because most of the guys will get plenty of time. JMO

I don’t think Archie cares. I think he’s basically going the route of “we are going to out size you and over power you.” Smith, TJD and Brunk will likely start every game. I think Archie feels the team knows it’s strengths and can force them on other teams. Basically won’t try to play the game of the other team and make them adjust to us.

I think Archie has made it clear that it doesn’t matter who starts. Green played 26 minutes and didn’t start. Franklin played 23 minutes and started. Don’t get caught up in the starting 5 I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 11/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I predict this game will get many on this board hot and bothered and may even cause some to go post in some combination of the Fire Fred Glass or Fire Archie Miller threads.

The best part is I will probably be right regardless of the outcome of the game.

I do think this one will be uncomfortable till the end.

Well, really wasn't all that uncomfortable, but there do seem to be many bothered!