Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs LA Tech Game Thread 11/25 8:30 pm BTN

NOTES: #iubb Continues Indiana Challenge by Hosting Louisiana Tech

Story Links

OPENING TIP
Indiana University is in its 120th season of competition in men's basketball and will host Louisiana Tech on Monday in the third game of the Indiana Challenge. The Hoosiers are coming off a 79-54 win over Princeton in the second game of the challenge. IU earlier defeated Troy in the event, 100-64. A victory on Monday would give IU a 6-0 start for the first time since the 2012-13 season when they started the year 9-0.  IU is 2-0 all-time against Louisiana Tech having defeated the Bulldogs, 84-63 in 1995 and 73-44 in 1996. Both games were in Assembly Hall.

GAME INFORMATION
Monday, Nov. 25 • 8:30 p.m.
Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall (17,222)
TV: BTN (Kevin Kugler and Shon Morris) | Watch Online
Radio: IU Radio Network (Don Fischer, Errek Suhr, Joe Smith) | TuneIn
Series History: IU leads, 2-0
Last Meeting: at IU 73, LTU 44; 12/13/96

THE COACHES
Indiana Coach Archie Miller begins his third season of guiding the Cream and Crimson.  Last year, the Hoosiers finished 19-16 and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT. He is 179-94 in eight-plus  years as a head coach, which includes six years at the University of Dayton.  His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014.   He is 40-31 at IU.   Eric Konkol is in his 5th year of leading Princeton and is 87-56  leading them to 3-20-win seasons in the last 4 years.  Louisiana Tech defeated N. Alabama, 82-61 at home, Friday.

NEWS & NOTES
Junior Justin Smith is averaging a team-high 16.3 points and adds 5.0 rebounds and leads the team in steals with 10.  He is averaging 18.0 points in the last 2 games and is shooting 77.8% from the field making 14 of 18 field goal attempts in that time.  Junior Al Durham is second on the team averaging 14.6 points and is one of 20 players in the country to not miss a free throw yet (14/14).  He is shooting 61.0% from the field and 50.0% from three-point range.  Freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis is averaging 13.8 points and a team-high 8.4 rebounds.  He leads the team shooting 76.7% from the floor.  He has made 11 of 12 shots in the last two games and was named Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Week on November 18.

ODDS AND TRENDS
The Hoosiers leading returning scorer, senior Devonte Green, made his season debut against Troy and contributed 6 points and 4 assists in 20 minutes.  He followed that up with 16 points off the bench against Princeton and had 4 assists.  He had been out for a month with a hamstring injury. IU's defense has been dominant in the second half of games limiting opponents to 34.1% shooting from the field and 22.9% accuracy from three-point range in the final 20 minutes.  Nine of the 11 scholarship players for the Hoosiers have scored in double figures in at least one game this season.

The Hoosiers rank 5th in the country in field goal percentage shooting a Big Ten-best 54.0%.  IU also is 5th in the nation in free throws made (129), 6th in scoring offense (90.0) and free throw attempts (147), 10th in scoring margin (27.0) and 18th in rebound margin (+11.8).  The Hoosiers also are 2nd in the Big Ten in fewest turnovers per game (11.0).

Per LA Tech site, "Bulldogs had 13 assists to only 5 turnovers. Tech is doing a fantastic job early in the season with a 1.60 AST/TO ratio, good for 21st nationally."

In their last game Friday night, LA Techs defeated North Alabama 82-61, whom IU defeated 91-65

16 minutes ago, hurryinghoosier5 said:

Would love to see Green in the starting 5 tonight. Or at least playing starter minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah I think it is time to start moving towards regular rotations. Green, Durham, and Phinisee need to play 30ish minutes tonight. It's game 6 and the team needs to be as prepared as possible for Florida State. 

Yeah I think it is time to start moving towards regular rotations. Green, Durham, and Phinisee need to play 30ish minutes tonight. It's game 6 and the team needs to be as prepared as possible for Florida State. 

Phinisee isn’t there yet. He’s still looking pretty rough. But it might be time to move Green into the starting lineup over Franklin.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Phinisee isn’t there yet. He’s still looking pretty rough. But it might be time to move Green into the starting lineup over Franklin.

I agree he isn't there yet. But I think that should be a reason to get him more minutes not less. 

For anyone that truly follows college basketball knows that this isn’t going to be a cake walk by any means tonight. La Tech returns 4 starters from a 20 win season last year and has several players that can score (4 average double digits). I think we’re going to find out A LOT about this team tonight. I personally have a bad feeling about the game tonight and really hope I’m wrong. This game could tell us if we’ve truly made progression/improvements over the last 2 seasons or if it’s gonna be another unsatisfactory season. Can’t get off to a bad start or this could get out of control. Justin Smith will be the X Factor tonight, if he plays well and is able to score, we’ll win somewhat easily, if not, might see this board blow up.

For anyone that truly follows college basketball knows that this isn’t going to be a cake walk by any means tonight. La Tech returns 4 starters from a 20 win season last year and has several players that can score (4 average double digits). I think we’re going to find out A LOT about this team tonight. I personally have a bad feeling about the game tonight and really hope I’m wrong. This game could tell us if we’ve truly made progression/improvements over the last 2 seasons or if it’s gonna be another unsatisfactory season. Can’t get off to a bad start or this could get out of control. Justin Smith will be the X Factor tonight, if he plays well and is able to score, we’ll win somewhat easily, if not, might see this board blow up.

It will blow up regardless as some will find something to complain about. I think the other night was an eye opener and we win this going away. This is a decent team we are playing. I think Green is the key to tonight. His shooting will open up the inside. My hope tonight is the players don’t get inside of their own heads to complicate things. I feel pretty good about tonight.

Lots of foreboding predictions about the game tonight. I'm one of those "express optimism, stay quiet when pessimistic" kinda guys.

Tonight? I'm expressing optimism; we aren't playing the kind of team ya blow out, but I'm pretty sure we'll be solid.

Yeah. I think it hovers 8-12 until midway through the 2nd. Our size wears them out. They are a smaller team that struggles from the outside. This is the type of team the pack line should be prime for. I do think it will be closer out the gate and we hear the same slow start talk without some realizing we are playing a pretty decent experienced team. Should be a fun game. I am with you though. I don’t normally express optimism before the game, but it feels like people are exercising demons of past years, here and in real life.