Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Princeton 11/20 @ 7 pm BTN

For me:

Starters

AL
Green
Smith
TJD
Brunk

First guard off bench:Rob
First Wing:Jerome
First Big:Race or DeRon depending

Limited minutes for Damezi, Franklin.

Rob is something else. That bump on the head sidelined him? Wow...

Good 2nd half.

I wish IUBB played 5 times a week.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

This isn’t Bo Ryan Wisconsin.

Greg Gard Wisconsin is beatable.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Sure, not by us though. Try to keep it under 15 this time. Gotta be realistic. Better defend the perimeter....no that’s not enough. Don’t help off their shooters. Not at all. Trice is quick and the Davidson kid has pure ice running through his veins. They will penetrate deep into the pack line with simple straight line drives and when the D collapses. Boom. Wide wide wide open 3. I believe our defense is uncommonly susceptible to this very thing and Gard knows it. Don’t. Help. Off. Their. Shooters. Start slow there and it won’t be this go into the locker room up 5 and make an adjustment stuff. No sir. We’ll be down 10 and making adjustments Gard already knows you’re going to make. Somebody would have to have a career night from 3. It’ll look like “Wow we are reall getting some looks from deep in the flow of our offense”, but forget that that’s what they want you to do. Well at least Happ won’t be there anymore to kick out for 3’s with no defender within 15’ of the shooter. His replacement is not as skilled but very very capable. Don’t double. He’ll seal your fate.

Sure, not by us though. Try to keep it under 15 this time. Gotta be realistic. Better defend the perimeter....no that’s not enough. Don’t help off their shooters. Not at all. Trice is quick and the Davidson kid has pure ice running through his veins. They will penetrate deep into the pack line with simple straight line drives and when the D collapses. Boom. Wide wide wide open 3. I believe our defense is uncommonly susceptible to this very thing and Gard knows it. Don’t. Help. Off. Their. Shooters. Start slow there and it won’t be this go into the locker room up 5 and make an adjustment stuff. No sir. We’ll be down 10 and making adjustments Gard already knows you’re going to make. Somebody would have to have a career night from 3. It’ll look like “Wow we are reall getting some looks from deep in the flow of our offense”, but forget that that’s what they want you to do. Well at least Happ won’t be there anymore to kick out for 3’s with no defender within 15’ of the shooter. His replacement is not as skilled but very very capable. Don’t double. He’ll seal your fate.

You’re acting like Gard is actually a good coach. He’s pretty mediocre.

14 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Hmmm, I'm not as high on them as you are. I think they are capable and generally don't beat themselves, but not very dynamic or deep. Madison has been a house of horrors for IU the last 20+ yrs (what did Hayes have, 57 FT's against IU a few yrs back?) but they ARE beatable. And this IU team appears more prepared to do it than any for several years. 

This is exactly what happened.... we came out strong... we went on a 10-0 run... we forced them to call a timeout and regroup.
They did regroup and reeled us back in throughout the rest of the first half.
I know it has been posted by others but this is College Basketball, we are not playing middle schools... yes we are better talent wise and we should beat these cupcakes (and we are).... but this isn't the Globetrotters vs the Generals... the other team is trying to win too...

Is that the 10 pt stretch where we hit 2 threes at the end of the shot clock and their normally reliable shooter missed badly 2 wide open 3s?

It may not have been but if so that 10 pt run was not nearly as impressive as the points suggest.

I have gone to several games the last 2 years and want Archie to do well. He seems to make good halftime adjustments but I would love for us to start the game with that same effectiveness and not end up well ahead at halftime. Especially against the teams we have faced so far.

Is that the 10 pt stretch where we hit 2 threes at the end of the shot clock and their normally reliable shooter missed badly 2 wide open 3s?

It may not have been but if so that 10 pt run was not nearly as impressive as the points suggest.

I have gone to several games the last 2 years and want Archie to do well. He seems to make good halftime adjustments but I would love for us to start the game with that same effectiveness and not end up well ahead at halftime. Especially against the teams we have faced so far.

No we didn’t hit any 3 in the first half. IU forced at TO and TJD scored and IU got a defensive stop and then coming out of under 16 timeout IU scored on a designed out of bounds play with a TJD, forced another TO and Green scored. Princeton calls a timeout

14 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

For those interested the Llewelyn kid from Princeton was a former top 100 kid in the 2018 class that turned down offers from Purdue, Ohio st, Florida, Tennessee, Virginia and others to go to Princeton

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Great point! I really wish we would retire the "cupcake" moniker that we stick on these teams. They may not have the same level of talent that we do, but they all have kids who can play. So far, we've seen kids who can shoot, talented bigs, and kids who play hard. We've won because we are generally bigger and deeper. But, as is seen every year, on any given night these "cupcakes" can and do win against high major programs. 

32 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

No we didn’t hit any 3 in the first half. IU forced at TO and TJD scored and IU got a defensive stop and then coming out of under 16 timeout IU scored on a designed out of bounds play with a TJD, forced another TO and Green scored. Princeton calls a timeout

Hey, hey, hey now! Do not pollute this beautiful thread with actual simple facts! You know that's not allowed :) Skewed, highly inaccurate opinions only!

We started slow in the first half without Rob or Green in the game. A disjointed start shouldn't be a surprise. It's not a coincidence that IU separated in the second half when Archie tightened the rotation and focused on winning the game instead of getting experience for guys further down the bench.

In games that are guaranteed wins, it makes sense for Archie to sacrifice a bit to get more experience for Race, Damezi, and Franklin. It may not be the best rotation for that specific game, but getting those guys minutes now should prove valuable down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We started slow in the first half without Rob or Green in the game. A disjointed start shouldn't be a surprise. It's not a coincidence that IU separated in the second half when Archie tightened the rotation and focused on winning the game instead of getting experience for guys further down the bench.

In games that are guaranteed wins, it makes sense for Archie to sacrifice a bit to get more experience for Race, Damezi, and Franklin. It may not be the best rotation for that specific game, but getting those guys minutes now should prove valuable down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some of this I agree with but there is no such thing as a guaranteed win and i hope and pray archie knows this especially since his time at iu. I am sure he does

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

I suspect Green will be starting instead of Franklin from here on just as he started the 2nd half against Princeton. At the same time, it wouldn't be surprising to see Durham and Green starting at guard with Phinisee coming off the bench. At least against Princeton, those two were more effective playing together.

56 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Some of this I agree with but there is no such thing as a guaranteed win and i hope and pray archie knows this especially since his time at iu. I am sure he does

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, I don't think he's taking any opponents lightly necessarily. But I also don't think it's a bad thing to manufacture a bit of adversity and allow the team to work through it against some of the easier opponents. I think he played it well yesterday and kept a good pulse on the game. Even though Indiana didn't look great in the first half, there was no point where I was worried that Princeton could win. Then Indiana came out after halftime with a clear intention of extending the lead, and so he rode the starters until they got a comfortable lead.