Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Troy game thread 11/16 8 pm BTN

Not sure if it's just fools gold that's fooling me but this team seems to just have a different energy this year compared to the last couple. It was nice seeing Damezi knock down some shots but to me he is still at the bottom of the rotation. I thought Devonte looked pretty under control for the most part. I still feel that for offensive purposes Deron is a much better option than Brunk. To me Brunk does not see the court nearly as well and his instinct in the double teams is to force a shot up rather than find the open man, yes I know he did this once tonight and it was nice to see. The thing I'm enjoying the most is that nobody seems to be forcing things really. It's almost as if everyone is fine if they aren't getting theirs as long as the team is succeeding. Now let's see if it continues against better competition.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

This team has 11 guys that know their roles and it’s fun to watch. Tons of rock solid players and you can make a case that all of them will see significant run during the gauntlet of the season. When Al’s shot isn’t dropping, Devante can pick him up. When Justin doesn’t have it, TJD can pick him up. It goes on and on. Not saying this is a contending team, but it is certainly a TEAM!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
A team that hasnt played any competition. Things will likely look less "solid" when league play hits.

Sent from my SM-J337P using BtownBanners mobile app

Posters who are claiming that IU looks better this year than at this time last year have foggy memories. At this time last year, IU was 3-0 including a 23-point victory over top 25 ranked Marquette.  Going into the Big Ten--ACC Challenge, IU was 5-1 losing only an away game by 1-point to Arkansas. Fans were very excited and saying much the same thing as they are now. I'm glad we're winning, but the opposition so far is basically exhibition level--all four are ranked 275 and below in Kenpom ratings. We'll have a better sense of what this team can do this season in December when IU starts playing more serious competition.
Exactly. The hype right now I'm reading all over this forum is VERY premature. This team has alot to proove.

6 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Posters who are claiming that IU looks better this year than at this time last year have foggy memories. At this time last year, IU was 3-0 including a 23-point victory over top 25 ranked Marquette.  Going into the Big Ten--ACC Challenge, IU was 5-1 losing only an away game by 1-point to Arkansas. Fans were very excited and saying much the same thing as they are now. I'm glad we're winning, but the opposition so far is basically exhibition level--all four are ranked 275 and below in Kenpom ratings. We'll have a better sense of what this team can do this season in December when IU starts playing more serious competition.

And posters who deny it don't know what they're looking at.  

Yes, I'm cautiously optimistic and can see the potential for a very competitive team.  We'll need Rob to get back on the floor consistently and Devonte to shake off the rust.  The other guys have shown that they've worked hard and really improved their games.  I'm feeling really good about Smith, Durham, Thompson and Brunk being consistent contributors - which we didn't have enough of last year (Juwan was pretty much it). Trayce is playing up to expectations and Franklin looks quite poised.
I think Romeo added a really odd dynamic last year - an elite but young talent that was good enough to be a focus but couldn't carry the load with the season long injury he was dealt.  I just think we have many more options this year. Jerome is, and will, take several games to lose the rust but if he can become the player we hope he can be it could make us a top-15 type team.
(long post but last night was the first game I got to watch)

Its way too early to tell what kind of team we have. They haven't played any level of competition to justify them being competitive, much less a top 15 squad. Don't get your hopes up just yet. Last year they started good too before being derailed when the actual good teams came calling.

I pretty much see everyone acknowledging the lack of competition. The thing is though that there is something different about the chemistry and energy. That's just MO though I'm sure others will say the team is trash until they aren't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

The only thing Im taking away from these first three cupcakes is Smith and TJD look like pros. These two are on a different level and stand out in ability.

20 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

I want this team gelling and building confidence. What good does it do is to have Demezi and Jerome having to go up against UNC or Villanova right now? There’s enough meat on this schedule this year given who we have on this roster. Two years from now if we’re playing an OOC slate like this it’s an issue. Right now it’s just nitpicking. 

UNC and Nova??? It’s an awfully big leap from wanting to play 100-150 rated opponents to UNC and Villanova. I’ve not seen anyone that wanted to play them this year.

I strongly suspect we’re better.
I am absolutely sure we’re deeper.

I agree. Certainly, there was excitement early on last year as well, however I remember there being an uneasy feeling underneath, for me. Last years team turned it over way too much early on, missed free throws at a dangerous clip, Was comically bad in transition, and had just 1 true rotation that could score. I know that feeling was on this board. That uneasy feeling when the injuries began. We were a key injury away from complete disaster.
This year does feel different, regardless of competition. I myself am struggling with how to explain why it feels different. There’s a different maturity I guess. Depth. I’m don’t find myself thinking “oh no, not this lineup again, or not these guys, why are they in the same lineup?” They are more confident? Seem better prepared? I don’t know. God knows what the final outcome will be. I truly believe though, whether the record turns out good or bad, that this team will be more fun to watch and less frustrating as a whole than in previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe the truth could be in the middle.  We've obviously played terrible teams, so it's hard to gauge where we are.  However, that win vs Troy was the most fun game we've had in a long time.  We actually led at the first tv timeout and extended the lead through multiple lineups until the end.  Great game by the players and staff.

We won't truly know this team until we get past all of these cupcakes

What I see comparatively to last year is the ball is moving so much better on offense.  We do not have to settle for a Langford/Morgan clear out and hope that they can take their guy one-on-one.

I know Brunk isn't the best guy in the middle, but what I see of him here and at Butler is that he sets up a great kick out pass to our shooters.  He can receive the high post (as well as Deron) and not have to force something that isn't there.  This should open up the lane more.

As shooters look more and more comfortable, this could cause teams fits.