Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

GAME THREAD: 11/16 12:00PM ET (24) Indiana at (9) Penn State ABC

I didn't think we would win, but I still can't get over that PSU was essentially gifted 25 points. 

A recap .. 

7 -- TD after stupid fumble-not fumble on our first possession
7 -- TD on long Clifford run with obvious missed hold 
7 -- TD after stupid, stupid fake punt
4 -- Dropped TD pass on which we settle for FG (OK that's not giving them points, but it's taking 4 away from us)

Why, oh why, can't we win these games! ... So damn frustrating. 

Didn’t get to watch, but we lost to a top 10 team on the road by 7. I know it sucks and apparently we played well enough to win outside of mistakes and refs, but normal IU teams lose this game by a lot more.

I know it helps I didn’t see the game, but feels like progress! Need to go kick the crap out of Michigan!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We need to continue to upgrade our talent and build depth. I thought we were very competitive even though we played most of the game without our two best offensive players. We have a shot in each of the remaining games, although neither will be easy. I see progress and actually look forward to the rest of this season and next. That doesn't happen very often.

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

We need to continue to upgrade our talent and build depth. I thought we were very competitive even though we played most of the game without our two best offensive players. We have a shot in each of the remaining games, although neither will be easy. I see progress and actually look forward to the rest of this season and next. That doesn't happen very often.

Just stop with your damned reasonableness and optimism! 

19 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Those announcer's bugged the hell out of me.  They focused on what PSU was doing wrong (as opposed to what IU was doing right) or what PSU needed to do right (not what IU needed to do) and rarely angled the commentary towards IU positives.  It's irritating watching 'neutral' coverage as if you're watching the Nittany Lion Broadcasting Crew.

You know how media is.  The "underdog" isn't the story until they are.  Indiana is not the story for ESPN or ABC, and you nailed it with your quotes around 'neutral.'  They weren't overly critical of Indiana...they were simply looking to promote a team that might benefit the ESPN mother ship.  

Having said that?  It wasn't difficult to focus on the negative because mental breakdowns cost Indiana that game. Mental breakdowns continue to cost Indiana games.   The punt after their 1st drive?  Took the ball away from us and gave them a touchdown.  Dumbest fake punt attempt since Chuck Pagano?  Gave them another touchdown. Dropped TD pass by Hale takes 4 points off the board.    Even with the obvious things that held our offense back today, we still should have won the game.  Of all the complaints people have had about Tom Allen, the one thing his team needs to clean up is the maddening consistency of mental errors; but the program is absolutely on the right track.   We get those dudes in Bloomington next fall.

Indiana's talent is right there with almost anyone.  The depth isn't there quite yet; but Indiana is a good football team.  Mental midgetry holds us back as much as anything.

I’m know I’m a crazy conspiracy theorist but that’s exhibit Z why IU won’t win these games against the big boys. We will have to play a perfect game to overcome superior talent and the Big Ten SOP. It’s just the way it is until we either blow up the Big Ten with a lot better talent and coaching or the Big Ten actually allows for an even playing field.

**** the Big Ten.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I actually feel talent wasnt the issue today against a top 10 team at their place. Mental mistakes by the players and staff STILL need cleaned up. Allen needs to learn to deal with the pressure of playing in big games. That fake punt was a terrible call.

That was on the long snapper, that was supposed to be the look of a fake punt but still be a punt. See Tom Allen’s comments about it. Aside from that, there weren’t too many mental mistakes. Whop’s fumble was a clear targeting and should have never resulted in us losing possession. That was a HUGE missed call that would’ve made a massive difference. On Whop’s “muffed” punt I still don’t see any evidence that he touched it but on the flip side he should never let that ball come close to him and leave it in the hands of the B1G refs. We were the better team no doubt in my mind and should’ve won that by 10+ which makes this loss frustrating to me. Let’s just hope Whop is ok and we can keep move on from this and FINALLY take down Michigan next week!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This team makes way too many stupid mistakes.  Tough to beat good teams that way.

On the muffed punt, I didn't think he touched the ball but to be honest I would've let the call stand too; that was the call on the field and I didn't see an angle that clearly showed he didn't touch.  Regardless, as others have said, if he wasn't going to field it he should've gotten clear of the ball.