Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

I’ve ever been good at guessing the bracket. But I was correct a few years ago about the AAC. It was their first year. People thought they’d be highly seeded and SMU would make it in. I said to lower their expectations a couple seed lines and that SMU hadn’t beaten anyone and will be in the NIT. I think SMU is the only AP Top 25 team I’ve seen miss the tourney.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’ve ever been good at guessing the bracket. But I was correct a few years ago about the AAC. It was their first year. People thought they’d be highly seeded and SMU would make it in. I said to lower their expectations a couple seed lines and that SMU hadn’t beaten anyone and will be in the NIT. I think SMU is the only AP Top 25 team I’ve seen miss the tourney.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Utah St in 2004. I would guess St Mary’s has as well but I’m not sure on them

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Andy Katz's bracket is interesting. I hadn't really looked at tournament locations very closely, but started wondering, at risk of putting the cart well ahead of the horse, what the most ideal yet realistic location would be. 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-02-08/2020-ncaa-tournament-bracket-predicted-using-top-16-reveal

He has us in the 7/10 matchup in Cleveland. Not a terrible drive for a lot of the state and even the mid atlantic/east coast alumni base (cheap flight from Nashville as well). I'd guess a good portion of the fanbase is itching to travel in support of a postseason team (if the Gator Bowl is any indication, that is very true) so hopefully we could get a solid crowd there for the first weekend. Of course, that bracket feeds in to Indianapolis. Again, cart well before the horse here and the likelihood that we are second weekend team is low. Still have plenty of work to do to ensure we even have a chance to. 

My apologies, everyone, for cursing this possibility from ever happening.

So many chances left to vastly improve our seed line. So many chances left to crush our souls!

What’s funny is if we end up somewhere in the middle that’s exactly where most everyone before the year began said they would be happy with. I think we ended up being who most everyone thought. Good enough to make the tournament, but fatally flawed to do anything of significance. Pretty much your typical 8, 9, or 10 seed.

23 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

What’s funny is if we end up somewhere in the middle that’s exactly where most everyone before the year began said they would be happy with. I think we ended up being who most everyone thought. Good enough to make the tournament, but fatally flawed to do anything of significance. Pretty much your typical 8, 9, or 10 seed.

It would be a little better than I hoped for, with two key reasons why:

1) We would be an eight or nine seed that could quite literally beat every single team in the field.

2) If we get to that point, our six best players will include two freshman and two sophomores.

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

One more win and we are in almost certainly. The best bracketologist had us as a 9 before we won today. 

Seems about right.

Added a quad one win today so we’re about an eight seed. 

Worst case scenario? a team that playing really well wins only  one of their last six, and squeaks in with 19 wins. At this point that worse case scenario seems very unlikely.

IU has now beaten teams that the bracketmatrix has as 2, 4, 5, and 6 seeds.
FWIW, the Louisiana Tech team IU beat in non-conference is now 20-7 and in second place in Conference USA after beating the conference leader on the road yesterday.

Conference USA does a smart thing that they started this year. They wait to see which teams are top 4 in conference and at the end of the year they make sure those teams play each other. They give their top teams a chance to improve their NET against each other. Earlier in the year La Tech lost a heartbreaker at home to north Texas on a last second layup

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Conference USA does a smart thing that they started this year. They wait to see which teams are top 4 in conference and at the end of the year they make sure those teams play each other. They give their top teams a chance to improve their NET against each other. Earlier in the year La Tech lost a heartbreaker at home to north Texas on a last second layup

They did that last year too. Issue is everyone stunk so it didn't improve anyone's at-large hopes at all.