Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

4 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Unless we lose both home games and the first of the BTT, I think we’re in at this point. 

Yup that worst case scenario would put us at 18-14. Even that might do it! 19-14 = dropping the next, beating Nebraska/NW, and then losing again. I think even that gets us in.

I could so see them setting up Indiana vs Arizona if they get the opportunity.

Is LSU, really an 8? I haven’t followed them too closely but they seem much better than an 8.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Home game against Florida is probably their best win. A bunch of Q2 wins against teams on the bubble. Q1 road wins against teams on wrong side of the bubble. Loss at Vandy is holding them back for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I could so see them setting up Indiana vs Arizona if they get the opportunity.

Is LSU, really an 8? I haven’t followed them too closely but they seem much better than an 8.

Haven’t watched a lot of Arizona this year but absolutely hate when the NCAA sets up the bracket for $ purposes. Yes, that’s what it’s all about but that run in 2015 of Kentucky then UNC was just complete BS.

1 hour ago, Bobman1 said:

Haven’t watched a lot of Arizona this year but absolutely hate when the NCAA sets up the bracket for $ purposes. Yes, that’s what it’s all about but that run in 2015 of Kentucky then UNC was just complete BS.

Its made for tv

It’s really all they care about. Or else they’d stick to the S-Curve.

Sometimes bracketing rules force them not to use the S-Curve. This year for instance since BYU is going to be in the field they have to fit them in the bracket so that they play in the Thursday, Saturday games since they can’t play on Sunday. Multiple teams are probably going to be effected by this. I always like to see the S-Curve list and see why they moved teams seed lines

Sometimes bracketing rules force them not to use the S-Curve. This year for instance since BYU is going to be in the field they have to fit them in the bracket so that they play in the Thursday, Saturday games since they can’t play on Sunday. Multiple teams are probably going to be effected by this. I always like to see the S-Curve list and see why they moved teams seed lines

When was it they tried to get schools closer to where they are from?

2 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

It was actually 2016, but that draw was criminal. We were outright Big Ten champs that year and had to play the SEC champs in the freaking second round. I'd wager that a second round matchup between Power 5 champs had never occurred that early in the tournament until then. It was total horsesh*t. 

When was it they tried to get schools closer to where they are from?

Can’t remember but they have added a bunch of amended rules over the years.
I know one of the last things they have added is the top overall seed gets to pick which region they want to go to. Virginia ended up picking their region and UMBC was put on their quad for geographic purposes. Technically Virginia as the number 1 overall seed shouldn’t of played the highest rated 16 seed. Kind of funny looking back now. Even though they should of beat them if they would of picked a different region they probably could of avoided a historic loss

43 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It was actually 2016, but that draw was criminal. We were outright Big Ten champs that year and had to play the SEC champs in the freaking second round. I'd wager that a second round matchup between Power 5 champs had never occurred that early in the tournament until then. It was total horsesh*t. 

That is the one that ticked me off.  It's one thing to not use the S curve, but you can't tell me that year that Kentucky and Indiana weren't underseeded so they would meet each other in round two.  IU was 25-7 and 15-3 in the Big Ten and Kentucky was 26-8 in 13-5 and won not only their conference title but the tournament title as well.  Most people thought UK was a 3 seed and IU was going to be a 3 or 4....instead UK was a 4 and IU was a 5.

Can’t remember but they have added a bunch of amended rules over the years.
I know one of the last things they have added is the top overall seed gets to pick which region they want to go to. Virginia ended up picking their region and UMBC was put on their quad for geographic purposes. Technically Virginia as the number 1 overall seed shouldn’t of played the highest rated 16 seed. Kind of funny looking back now. Even though they should of beat them if they would of picked a different region they probably could of avoided a historic loss

I don’t like the geographical thing. Fun thing about the tourney was seeing matchups you wouldn’t normally. They should stick to the S-Curve as much as possible. No one gets a choice.

Through 4 of the 11 NCAA games on tap today, IU moved up once spot and ahead of 24-5 Auburn on Pom.  Simply means that the ripple effect of the games played changed their ratings ever so slightly to push IU a little ahead of Auburn.  Could switch back again before the end of the night because to the nearest hundredth of a point in AdjEM, Auburn entered the night at +15.55 and IU was at +15.53;  both are now at +15.53 so IU is less than .01 ahead.

NC State loses at Duke 88-69.  The Wolfpack were kind of in position in their last two games where not much would change their status.....they played at Duke and end the season hosting Wake Forest.  They are the ultimate bubble team, bracketmatrix has them in the tournament in the field in 43% of the brackets, out in 57%.

The Duke loss likely doesn't change anything, but a win at home against Wake Forest won't do anything for their resume either.  Basically the only movement they would have had was with a win at Duke (putting them into the field in most brackets) or a loss at home to Wake Forest (which would have pretty moved them out of almost everyone's bracket).

If they win at home against Wake Forest they will be in the precarious position of being just out or being one of the last few in.....and the last couple in usually get pushed out due to conference tourney results.  They'll be anywhere from a 5 to 9 seed in the ACC tourney, so the first game does little good in terms of upping resume as it will be against an ACC team that isn't going to make the NCAA tournament.  To get to a game that could potentially help, they'll have to beat a mid to lower tier ACC team so they can face one of the top four (Louisville, Duke, Florida State, Virginia).

Hypothetically, if the NCAA set a standard to get in the tourney and set it at 19 wins AND at least 1 game under .500 in conference or better, there are currently 103 teams who qualify.

Now comparing that to the Bracket Matrix bracket, the teams left out because of those qualifiers are Michigan(6 seed), Marquette(7), Florida(9), Texas Tech(9), Oklahoma(9), Indiana(10), Providence(10), Montana(16). Montana’s is different though as many bracketologist will use a team at the top of their standings. Montana and Eastern Washington are both 14-4 in the Big Sky and Montana is 18-11, so one game from “qualifying.”

As for the others... Michigan, Marquette, Florida, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Indiana need to win 1 more game before the end of the regular season. Providence would need to win two more games before the end of the season. I’ll revisit this next Monday to see if standards like this would actually change anything or cause more excitement in the last couple weeks.