Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

When was that podcast recorded? Cause Purdue may be literally ineligible for the NIT, never mind the NCAAs

Yesterday evening. They were going through the entire league buying/selling. They both sold on IU making the tournament. Was dumbfounded, but one of the guys is not a fan of Archie and this team and hasn’t been all year.

But it’s mostly because people outside of IU fans and media don’t realize how good IU’s resume is. They see the road losses and the Net ranking and think IU still has a ways to go. It’s beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Teams don’t have to be .500 to be selected for the NIT however no team has been selected under .500 for the NIT. lol at some podcast that would take Purdue and Minnys chances over IUs. My advice would be don’t listen to that podcast again. Bart Torvik site puts its at 96% chance IU makes the tourney

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And by 96% chance, Torvik is basically saying we have to lose six in a row to not be in.

Teams don’t have to be .500 to be selected for the NIT however no team has been selected under .500 for the NIT. lol at some podcast that would take Purdue and Minnys chances over IUs. My advice would be don’t listen to that podcast again. Bart Torvik site puts its at 96% chance IU makes the tourney
 2.2% to get the auto bid lol

To their defense they don’t do much of bracketology. One of the guys, Dylan burkhardt, does a pretty good job of covering big ten basketball and Michigan especially. He has been on podcast on the brink a few times. The other guy, Brandon Quinn is a writer for the athletic and covers Michigan state.

Anyone else just miss how fun it is to have a team in the tournament? Been too long almost forgetting what that excitement is like.

Dude, I take the opening weekend off every year no matter what with three other buddies. Only one other IU fan. It’s been rough.

To their defense they don’t do much of bracketology. One of the guys, Dylan burkhardt, does a pretty good job of covering big ten basketball and Michigan especially. He has been on podcast on the brink a few times. The other guy, Brandon Quinn is a writer for the athletic and covers Michigan state.

That’s surprising coming from those 2. Dylan is a fantastic follow on Twitter.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

2.2% to get the auto bid lol

The NIT had a rule stating teams must have at least a .500 record per the Wikipedia page. It started off as a preference and later was a solidified requirement. Then in 2017 they did away with it, I think? The article isn’t clear which tournament no longer has the .500 requirement. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament

The NIT had a rule stating teams must have at least a .500 record per the Wikipedia page. It started off as a preference and later was a solidified requirement. Then in 2017 they did away with it, I think? The article isn’t clear which tournament no longer has the .500 requirement. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament

Ncaa 2017 made a rule where regular season conference champs got an auto-bid if they lost in their conference tourney and you a team no longer needed to be over .500 to get in. They have still never picked a team under .500 yet

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28577356/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-updated-look-wildest-bubble-years

Here's another example of a national writer (one with big ten ties even) stating that IU looks like an 11 seed. He also describes Minnesota's chances and believes its a long shot but still compares them to Indiana's (who he states is bubbly) solely because of their Net ranking. 

I don't get it. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28577356/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-updated-look-wildest-bubble-years
Here's another example of a national writer (one with big ten ties even) stating that IU looks like an 11 seed. He also describes Minnesota's chances and believes its a long shot but still compares them to Indiana's (who he states is bubbly) solely because of their Net ranking. 
I don't get it. 

Him having Rutgers at a 9 seed while saying IU is an 11 seed is funny. After work I will put their resumes side by side for you guys to compare or if someone else wants to do it. Lol.
IU has passed Rutgers on the S-Curve

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Him having Rutgers at a 9 seed while saying IU is an 11 seed is funny. After work I will put their resumes side by side for you guys to compare or if someone else wants to do it. Lol.
IU has passed Rutgers on the S-Curve

Yeah I think Rutgers is in real trouble. Now I think if they win 1 more they are fine, but their last three games are brutal and they have shown no ability to win on the road (@PU and @ PSU remaining). I also have a hard time seeing them beating Maryland at home. 

Quick question to help me understand better. Can someone explain to me the difference between us and Michigan St. that has them ranked #24 in the AP polls and projected as a 5-seed, while Indiana is on and off the bubble and projected as a 10-11 seed? 

Because I’m looking at MSU and seeing that they’ve lost 4 of their last 6 games. As we speak, they’re losing at home at the half to Iowa, so this discussion may evolve based on that outcome. But overall, they’re an identical record to IU at 18-9. Out of conference, their games of note were:

UK - (L)

Seton Hall - (W)

Va. Tech - (L)

Duke - (L)

So, they have the same overall record as IU, and IU’s non-conference games of note look like this:

FSU - (W)

Arkansas - (L)

UCONN - (W)

ND - (W)

Yea, they are 10-6 in the B1G right now to IU’s 8-8; but they’ve played NW and Minny twice each and Nebraska once. So five of their B1G wins have come against the bottom three teams in the conference. 

In addition to some general discussion about what makes MSU a 5-seed and IU an 11-seed on the bubble, I’d also love to hear what people believe is the floor for MSU, given after tonight’s game against Iowa, their remaining schedule is @Maryland, @PSU, and home against OSU. Where would Sparty end up if they lose out, seeing them end the season losers of 8 out of 10 and an 18-13 record. Would they be an 11-seed in a play-in game, or still safely in with an 8-9 seed? 

Sparty has 3 top 42 road wins (16,35, 42)and 2 other road wins
8 top 50 wins total.

IU has 1 top 50 road win and only 2 road wins total
IU has 6 top 50 wins total.

I can’t speak for any other bracketologist but I got Sparty a 6th seed and IU the last 8 seed so for me they are closer

If Sparty lost out they would be no worst then a 10 seed I would guess but it would depend on what others do as well

14 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Sparty has 3 top 42 road wins (16,35, 42)and 2 other road wins
8 top 50 wins total.

IU has 1 top 50 road win and only 2 road wins total
IU has 6 top 50 wins total.

I can’t speak for any other bracketologist but I got Sparty a 6th seed and IU the last 8 seed so for me they are closer

If Sparty lost out they would be no worst then a 10 seed I would guess but it would depend on what others do as well

Do neutral court games count as toad wins? Because I only see MSU with true road wins @NW, @Minny, @ILL and @Neb. 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

@Seton hall

You’re right. I was thinking Gavitt Games and had neutral site in my head but that was at Seton Hall. 

So, better to have one good road win in non-conf. than to have two good neutral site wins and a good home win? 

Just doesn’t add up to me to be a 5-seed resume and a 10-11-seed resume when compared to IU. Trouble seeing that much of a difference. 

You’re right. I was thinking Gavitt Games and had neutral site in my head but that was at Seton Hall. 
So, better to have one good road win in non-conf. than to have two good neutral site wins and a good home win? 
Just doesn’t add up to me to be a 5-seed resume and a 10-11-seed resume when compared to IU. Trouble seeing that much of a difference. 

IU isn’t an 11 seed right now. 8 or 9 seed

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU isn’t an 11 seed right now. 8 or 9 seed

Consensus? I know you and others have noted the major sources like ESPN as not being very accurate, but still gets the most publicity and shapes public opinion about teams I think. They have IU as a 10-seed as of this morning.