Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

People aren’t upset because we we’re shocked to learn we are a bubble team. People are upset because are a bubble team. And they are livid that we are leaning to the wrong side of the bubble yet again. 

No, I get that.

Personally, I don't think many IU fans thought we weren't a bubble team before the Arkansas game.  I imagine we are going to be a bubble team for the rest of the year and we'll be on one side or the other most of the rest of the season.

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

As of today IU isn’t a bubble team. They are projected solidly in the field. With the upcoming schedule I agree with you they have a bubble projection but for now my point in posting the numbers were that by bracketology standards they are in the field as of now and they wouldn’t be on the bubble

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I understand that, but IMO the definition of being a bubble team changes throughout the season even if it isn't defined so.  The bubble starts much larger than it ends on both sides.

I understand that, but IMO the definition of being a bubble team changes throughout the season even if it isn't defined so.  The bubble starts much larger than it ends on both sides.

The bubble this year is the biggest ever. And that’s part of the “parody” people love so much.

The NET does no favors for losing winnable games at home. IU fell from 30 to 56 after the Arkansas game. Arkansas jumped from 31 to 23 with the win

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yep without any real signature win at this point I would have to believe that Arkansas game moved us down to the 9/10 range? Still very early and this will change a bunch especially this year I think.

The NET does no favors for losing winnable games at home. IU fell from 30 to 56 after the Arkansas game. Arkansas jumped from 31 to 23 with the win

That doesn’t even make sense. What was our lowest ranking last year?

Yep without any real signature win at this point I would have to believe that Arkansas game moved us down to the 9/10 range? Still very early and this will change a bunch especially this year I think.

I personally have them in the 7-8 range still. 1 solid win and 2 good wins away from home with no bad NET losses. Still a lot of time for things to change

I personally have them in the 7-8 range still. 1 solid win and 2 good wins away from home with no bad NET losses. Still a lot of time for things to change

How many teams could you see making it out of the B1G if you had to make your best guess at this point? Our conference as a whole seem to have some of the best wins and not the worst losses.

Personally, I hate the whole 'signature win' idea.

Let's say there are two 20-10 teams played the same record and the only difference at the end of the year was one beat Michigan State at Michigan State and lost to Northwestern at home while the other did the opposite.  I don't see how one is more deserving than the other if they played the same schedule and had the same record.  I'm not into the 'well, they can beat anybody' idea;  they also showed they could lay an egg to anybody.

Fell into the 70’s before climbing back and finishing in the mid 50’s

That’s pretty head scratching. So last year we fell down into the 70’s... but we just fell about 20 spots from losing to Arkansas who was 31st? They need to release their algorithm... if they even have one.

How many teams could you see making it out of the B1G if you had to make your best guess at this point? Our conference as a whole seem to have some of the best wins and not the worst losses.  

7-8 would be my guess with 7 being the number I think make it. Big East could have that many as well. Interesting thing looking at the numbers for the first time seriously is that the ACC and SEC as of today would only have 4-5 teams each which is crazy. I’m sure that will change but something to monitor

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Fewer data points lead to larger swings. Is it really that difficult to understand?

Yes.  But NET has San Diego State ranked as the #1 team in the nation with 13 data points for them (13 games).  I don't think that any system that the NCAA has implemented -- RPI, NET -- can match what Pom or Sagarin do.

17 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Yes.  But NET has San Diego State ranked as the #1 team in the nation with 13 data points for them (13 games).  I don't think that any system that the NCAA has implemented -- RPI, NET -- can match what Pom or Sagarin do.

In the Massey composite, there are 7 other ranking methodologies besides NET that have San Diego St #1(8th in composite). I have my own ranking system and SD State are 1st too(FYI, IU is 40th). Too many people leech onto KP esp. early when too much of the prior season's numbers are factored in. 

After yesterday results here is where IU stands

11-3 overall (1-2 in the B1G)

NET-45

Rpi- 33

Ken Pom-40

Sos-51

Non con Sos- 78

Quad 1

1-3

Win-Florida St(21).

Losses- @wisky(28), @Maryland(14)

Arkansas(26)

Quad 2

3-0

La Tech(65)

Notre Dame-neutral(79)

UConn- neutral(97)

As bad as the second half was yesterday and how bad IU has looked the last couple of games there would be plenty of teams that would gladly trade places with where IU stands as of today

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

After yesterday results here is where IU stands

11-3 overall (1-2 in the B1G)

NET-45

Rpi- 33

Ken Pom-40

Sos-51

Non con Sos- 78

Quad 1

1-3

Win-Florida St(21).

Losses- @wisky(28), @Maryland(14)

Arkansas(26)

Quad 2

3-0

La Tech(65)

Notre Dame-neutral(79)

UConn- neutral(97)

As bad as the second half was yesterday and how bad IU has looked the last couple of games there would be plenty of teams that would gladly trade places with where IU stands as of today

Unlike last year, we need to right the ship in real time.

If we do, Chicken Little will disappear.

Unlike last year, we need to right the ship in real time.
If we do, Chicken Little will disappear.

Honest question. Have you been watching the games? Sometimes you aren’t what your record is. Many people predicted this slide based on how we’ve been playing even against the poor teams. Very few of those have we looked good. Refs giving us calls at the Hall. I think that will continue to some extent. We will win a fair amount of home games. Our odds of success on the road are putrid.