Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Portland St game thread 11/9 @ 2 pm BTN+

1 hour ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

He did do something; Aren't Leal and Galloway considered good shooters?

Galloway shoots like 33% in high school. So maybe great by Comparison.  If there is no improvement this year Between 3s and Free throws there clearly a deficiency on the instruction and that needs rectified. 

10 minutes ago, jk34 said:

The players that will be shooting the majority of our 3's are either hurt or shaking off rust. Can't we wait a few more games before we call our three point shooting a complete disaster already. 

Which is why I used the word “if”

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Which is why I used the word “if”

I understand that you used the word "if", but "if" we were healthier last year, we may not be having this discussion. It's hard to rectify the deficiencies on instruction when playing without a full roster. Our two best players which took the majority of our shots, were never going to be good 3pt. shooters. 

It's still early in the season but is this the impact of moving back the 3-point line?
Last season, IU shot 31.2% from 3 and it ranked 311th in the country.  Through 2 games this season, IU is shooting 32% from 3 and it ranks 157th.  32% also happens to be the national average, down so far from 34.4% last season.
I just saw that on twitter. Way too early, but interesting

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Hey Gleas....  Define smaller for me, please.   To me, it seems we play pretty well with TJD, Smith, Thompson, and minutes from Brunk.  Davis looks to be an odd man out except against big teams; but we have at least 3 bigs (including Smith) who run and/or space the floor pretty well and another in Brunk who seems more than capable of 15-20 solid minutes every game.    We out-rebounded PSU by 17 and dominated points in the paint.  Their guards had 58 of their 74 points today.   Just want to understand how you're defining "smaller."

Good question, and admittedly I’m working off a very small sample size and I’m going pretty much off the eye test. By “smaller” I don’t necessarily mean small, I just think based off what I’ve seen, albeit against low competition (though I think Portland is better than their projection) that IU has played best with two forwards as opposed to three. 

I wouldn’t really call a Phinisee, Durham, Hunter, Smith, TJD lineup small, and I think that’s been our best lineup so far. I also don’t think the bigger lineups have been bad, I just see better offensive flow, rhythm, and shooting, and better defensive quickness and speed when we’ve played “smaller”. Maybe more athletic is actually the better word. 

This doesn’t mean I don’t like our big guys, Thompson was fantastic yesterday, TJD has been really good, Brunk is solid, and Smith has been really good obviously, I just think it’s tough in today’s game to big when your bigs don’t shoot from the perimeter, and none of them are a guy like a Kaleb Wesson who is going to dominate the block offensively. 

Our bigs aren’t guys that you can dump the ball down to on the block 5 possessions in a row and let them go to work. We’re still relying on our perimeter guys to make the plays. The offense wasn’t bad yesterday, I’m not saying we’ve been bad with the bigger lineups, I just think we’ve played best with the more athletic, slightly smaller lineups. 

Ideally with everyone healthy and hopefully Hunter having shaken off the rust, I think IU’s best lineup will be Phinisee, Green or Durham, Hunter, Smith, TJD, and then you have a bench of Green or Durham, Thompson, Brunk, Franklin, Anderson, and Davis is available for certain situations. 

17 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Another interesting tweet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s a little Crazy but I guess TJD, Franklin and Hunter are all Freshmen. 

If they are going by games played and not number of seasons then Race is basically a freshmen as well

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Good question, and admittedly I’m working off a very small sample size and I’m going pretty much off the eye test. By “smaller” I don’t necessarily mean small, I just think based off what I’ve seen, albeit against low competition (though I think Portland is better than their projection) that IU has played best with two forwards as opposed to three. 

I wouldn’t really call a Phinisee, Durham, Hunter, Smith, TJD lineup small, and I think that’s been our best lineup so far. I also don’t think the bigger lineups have been bad, I just see better offensive flow, rhythm, and shooting, and better defensive quickness and speed when we’ve played “smaller”. Maybe more athletic is actually the better word. 

This doesn’t mean I don’t like our big guys, Thompson was fantastic yesterday, TJD has been really good, Brunk is solid, and Smith has been really good obviously, I just think it’s tough in today’s game to big when your bigs don’t shoot from the perimeter, and none of them are a guy like a Kaleb Wesson who is going to dominate the block offensively. 

Our bigs aren’t guys that you can dump the ball down to on the block 5 possessions in a row and let them go to work. We’re still relying on our perimeter guys to make the plays. The offense wasn’t bad yesterday, I’m not saying we’ve been bad with the bigger lineups, I just think we’ve played best with the more athletic, slightly smaller lineups. 

Ideally with everyone healthy and hopefully Hunter having shaken off the rust, I think IU’s best lineup will be Phinisee, Green or Durham, Hunter, Smith, TJD, and then you have a bench of Green or Durham, Thompson, Brunk, Franklin, Anderson, and Davis is available for certain situations. 

Love the lineup you mentioned! If either Green or Al is willing to accept being the sixth man,  and leading the second unit, that would make us a more dangerous team. 

Although, with our amount of height and length,  we shouldn't let the other team dictate who we have on the floor. The days of having to play 6'7 in the post, appear to be behind us. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree with every word of this. The lineups with Davis/Brunk and TJD together clog lanes in a way I’m not sure you can mitigate. Maybe when Green gets back they can run some 1-3-1 stuff with TJD playing out of the high post. But I don’t remember Archie running any sets like that and I doubt TJD is ready for that catalyst role anyway. Also agree on the best lineup. I don’t think anyone in the conference has enough skilled size to really exploit it, plus it creates space and exploitable matchups. 

Btw: I was really hard on Smith and his role going into the year. He looks like a new kid and I’m happy as hell to be wrong. Good for him. 

Agree with every word of this. The lineups with Davis/Brunk and TJD together clog lanes in a way I’m not sure you can mitigate. Maybe when Green gets back they can run some 1-3-1 stuff with TJD playing out of the high post. But I don’t remember Archie running any sets like that and I doubt TJD is ready for that catalyst role anyway. Also agree on the best lineup. I don’t think anyone in the conference has enough skilled size to really exploit it, plus it creates space and exploitable matchups. 
Btw: I was really hard on Smith and his role going into the year. He looks like a new kid and I’m happy as hell to be wrong. Good for him. 

The problem is that any lineup with clog the lane because the team just can’t shoot. So might as well use what’s at our advantage and that’s height and length.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s a little Crazy but I guess TJD, Franklin and Hunter are all Freshmen. 

If they are going by games played and not number of seasons then Race is basically a freshmen as well

As would be Hunter, experience-wise

I've not been through this whole thread, and I can't figure out how to embed something from my phone, but did anyone see the "load management" question asked of CAM, and his response? Dude.... I was dying from laughing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, pappy1865 said:

I've not been through this whole thread, and I can't figure out how to embed something from my phone, but did anyone see the "load management" question asked of CAM, and his response? Dude.... I was dying from laughing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BtownBanners mobile app

I didnt' get to see or hear it. can you give us the gist?

Screenshot_20191111-064312_Twitter.thumb.jpg.667d297b0c75e5756621dd5f57a4ed58.jpg

To further drive it home I am pretty sure he said load management like the reporter was an idiot two or three more times than that while looking at someone and somewhat under his breath. Guessing he isn’t a fan of hearing people think he is being overprotective. Or he doesn’t always agree with the doctors. But there was definitely something to that question by the way he responded.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app