Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Portland St game thread 11/9 @ 2 pm BTN+

It's too bad a handful of posters are so negative that it makes it hard to read through topics.  I'm not asking for rainbows and unicorns, but damn! 

I completely agree with criticism,  but speaking in absolutes, and only posting when things are not going well, is head scratching. 

59 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

PSU has a very quick point guard (who was the conference freshman of the year 2 years ago and preseason Big Sky 1st team, and preseason POY), and can make shots (made 7 three-pointers a game a year ago and made 8 today, plenty of which were contested. ) Also a team that can get to the FT line and make shots when they get there.  If that's the 277th best team in the country, I'm Tom Cruise.     Indiana controlled the game, led by 16 a couple of times; and we have people complaining that - in game 2 with a brand new team that's obviously growing and will get better - we didn't win by enough.   Yes...there is a lot to improve, but damn, folks.   Every minute won't be pretty.  I don't think Kenpom means anything at this point in the season.   And comparing Indiana to Duke is meaningless.  Why??

I agree comparing to IU to Duke is meaningless as are, for the most part, these games.  That’s why I did not get, and was responding to,  the “Duke only won an exhibition game by 6 comment”. 

It's too bad a handful of posters are so negative that it makes it hard to read through topics.  I'm not asking for rainbows and unicorns, but damn! 
I completely agree with criticism,  but speaking in absolutes, and only posting when things are not going well, is head scratching. 

It’s not really head scratching when you really think about it..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, VO5 said:

I’m just hoping once we hit P5 teams on our schedule that the staff realizes we can’t start Smith-TJD-Brunk and be successful. We will get eaten alive on D. Our best lineup is either 3 guards with Smith and TJD as the 5 or 2 guards with Hunter at the “3”. Brunk should be coming off the bench IMO.

Completely agree. It’s a small sample size, but it’s pretty clear to me this team is best playing smaller. This game was close because we fouled too much and we couldn’t shoot from the perimeter. 

We fouled too much partly because we played too big and without athleticism, and we shot poorly because most of the game we had 3 non-shooters on the floor. 

The times we were able to stretch the lead in both halves was when we had Smith and TJD at the forwards with either 3 guards or 2 guards and Hunter. We’re more athletic defensively and have better floor spacing offensively that way. 

Got the win. PS has some ballers for sure. Quick and shot makers. Did anyone else thing we didn’t move on offense well? I saw a lot of standing around. Happy to see Hunter continue to improve and maybe just maybe be getting his sea legs back. I can’t help but think he is going to make some big contributions as we move through the season. Off to the next game!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

4 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Didn't see the floor the entire game

According to Fish on the pregame show Anderson has a nagging injury and was dressed but probably wouldn't play.  Didn't sound too serious.

Edited by BottomLine
Clarification

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. It’s a small sample size, but it’s pretty clear to me this team is best playing smaller. This game was close because we fouled too much and we couldn’t shoot from the perimeter. 

We fouled too much partly because we played too big and without athleticism, and we shot poorly because most of the game we had 3 non-shooters on the floor. 

The times we were able to stretch the lead in both halves was when we had Smith and TJD at the forwards with either 3 guards or 2 guards and Hunter. We’re more athletic defensively and have better floor spacing offensively that way. 

Perfectly stated. I think the staff probably realizes this, or at least I hope so, and is just testing things at the beginning of the year.

I’m guessing Archie and staff don’t have the first clue on what they’re doing. I’m sure they aren’t even paying attention to what groups work better together. I’m guessing they’re picking the LU’s with a Ouija board.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Only 10 turnovers, shot 73% at the line and 50% FG. Out rebounded them pretty handily. Those are good numbers. 21% from three. We sorely need a knock down three point shooter. 

Other than 3 point shooting and 3 point defense a lot to be happy with tbh. Those were very bad though from what I am hearing. 

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Only 10 turnovers, shot 73% at the line and 50% FG. Out rebounded them pretty handily. Those are good numbers. 21% from three. We sorely need a knock down three point shooter. 

The 10 turnovers against a small, handsy, pressing team, is incredible in game two of the season. No matter who we're playing. I believe by B10 season,  we'll be a respectable to good 3pt. shooting team.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Hey Gleas....  Define smaller for me, please.   To me, it seems we play pretty well with TJD, Smith, Thompson, and minutes from Brunk.  Davis looks to be an odd man out except against big teams; but we have at least 3 bigs (including Smith) who run and/or space the floor pretty well and another in Brunk who seems more than capable of 15-20 solid minutes every game.    We out-rebounded PSU by 17 and dominated points in the paint.  Their guards had 58 of their 74 points today.   Just want to understand how you're defining "smaller."

14 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

If the shooting doesn’t improve this year I do think Archie is going to have to do something. 

We can be a decent team not shooting decently. But very very difficult to be elite without at least decent shooting. 

He did do something; Aren't Leal and Galloway considered good shooters?