Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU vs WIU- Game Thread 11/5 @ 7 pm BTN+

Disagree. It puts everyone at their more natural position, at least in terms of how basketball is played in 2019. I also think the lineup will change at times. Of course playing Purdue or MSU we might go bigger for longer stretches. But if you want the most talented, athletic, skilled lineup on the court, until Hunter is fully ready to go, it's a lineup of 3 guards/wings and Smith and TJD at the forwards. That might not be the lineup that starts for whatever reason, but it's the best lineup. 
It makes IU athletic, skilled, a better shooting team, and able to play a more transition game which Archie has said he wants to do. It also brings more versatility and athleticism defensively. 

That’s fair. I definitely see the angle you are coming from. I personally feel in the B1G and how our lineup is currently set we would be better bigger. We could protect those guards somewhat leading to the tournament (they will play a lot of minutes as is). I wouldn’t be disappointed if we went your route at all. I think that’s what we are building towards. I just don’t know if we are there yet personnel wise.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

^^I know that this post is not about me or BGleas, because we both are only partial asshats!^^

No you guys have always been great posters. BGleas with his experience and knowledge has a reason for the things he says. I truly respect you both. I know I am not the easiest person to get along with at all times, but man. I always used to say I would hate to see it if we lost at both sports badly and regularly. I think I would hate to see it if we won regularly.

No you guys have always been great posters. BGleas with his experience and knowledge has a reason for the things he says. I truly respect you both. I know I am not the easiest person to get along with at all times, but man. I always used to say I would hate to see it if we lost at both sports badly and regularly. I think I would hate to see it if we won regularly.

Are you saying you’re 3/4 of an asshat?

I think it’s a good problem to have. I’d like to see us dictate how the game will be played. Go big and dominate teams in the paint while getting them in foul trouble if they go small. Go small and push tempo against teams that want to go big. I believe we’re building for versatility. I also want to see us do one or the other extremely well in order to just impose our will against some teams.

22 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

This isn’t at Stu or BGleas at all. This is more at the initial response that started this from FK. Can we all disagree and discuss things without being a complete asshat? Like this whole if you disagree with me you are stupid thing that started during the football season is annoying as hell. It has made it where people no longer know how to respond to someone they disagree with without being a complete dick from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It just started during the football season?  Lol, it's been going on much longer than that.  I agree though, it's annoying and needs to stop.

I kind of like the idea of Archie scripting these lineups in these "cupcake" games. It helps him and fans see what lineups work. The downfall is when those scripted lineups are in the game that do not play well, the handful of negative posters will make multiple posts on how bad Archie and the team is. Then most of them will disappear when they insert the lineup that plays well

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are you saying you’re 3/4 of an asshat?  

I think it’s a good problem to have. I’d like to see us dictate how the game will be played. Go big and dominate teams in the paint while getting them in foul trouble if they go small. Go small and push tempo against teams that want to go big. I believe we’re building for versatility. I also want to see us do one or the other extremely well in order to just impose our will against some teams.

Completely agree and I would go with 7/8 asshat! The timing of that post because who I was talking to at that point I knew would look like I was calling them out which couldn’t have been further from the truth. I had my initial interaction. Go over to check out other threads I hadn’t read through yet and it was like holy hell what is going on? This is one of the most civilized forums I have been on for the most part. People are acting like the damn politicians I see on the tv or at work. It’s really not that bad.

Completely agree and I would go with 7/8 asshat! The timing of that post because who I was talking to at that point I knew would look like I was calling them out which couldn’t have been further from the truth. I had my initial interaction. Go over to check out other threads I hadn’t read through yet and it was like holy hell what is going on? This is one of the most civilized forums I have been on for the most part. People are acting like the damn politicians I see on the tv or at work. It’s really not that bad.  

I love me some civil debates where both (or all) parties have solid evidence to backup their claim. It has gotten a bit crazy on here where people try to create arguments for which to argue against that wasn’t what the original poster was arguing.

JSHoosier and I saw things playing out differently in the Crean era but he always brought facts to the table and argued against my stance, not done made up stance. I’d love for this board to get back to that place but until then I’ll enjoy IUFB having a fantastic season and IUBB grow over the course of the season.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Phinisee, Green, Durham, Smith, TJD. Bench: Brunk, Franklin, Hunter, Thompson, Anderson. 

It was just one game, but the team looked much better with an athletic, more guard/wing oriented lineup, and add to it that Davis doesn't look right, which would justify bringing Brunk off the bench because of interior depth. 

I think all the "Archie said we're going big" talk has been overblown. He also has said IU can only go big if the bigs prove they can do it defensively. Postgame last night he also aknowleged that the team played better when they got more athletic with Smith and TJD at the forward spots together. 

This is where I'm at. The ball moved soooooo well with three guards in the lineup. With the way Franklin's been playing, we know there is some guard depth and can more comfortably play three of them for stretches.

Davis did not look good on defense. Slow recoveries from the hedge led to several easy baskets down low. I don't see him getting a lot of playing time if that continues, so we will need Brunk and Race off the bench.

I’ll admit I’m a little worried that Green, as talented as he can be, might throw off some that mojo if he is gunning with “unlimited ammo”.

I think Phin looked for his shot a few times last night with taking a couple of stepbacks off the dribble. I like that for him. He wasn’t quite aggressive enough as a shooter last year. Reminds me a little of Yogi’s progression with shooting and confidence.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ll admit I’m a little worried that Green, as talented as he can be, might throw of some that mojo if he is gunning with “unlimited ammo”.

I think Phin looked for his shot a few times last night with taking a couple of stepbacks off the dribble. I like that for him. He wasn’t quite aggressive enough as a shooter last year. Reminds me a little of Yogi’s progression with shooting and confidence.

That thought crossed my mind too, but then I starting to think... what if Devonte has improved as much as Justin and Al have appeared to? I realize it's a very small sample size at this point, but those 2 guys specifically look like different ball players to me already this year. Like things have finally slowed down a little for them and the confidence is coming through. Archie has said how important Devonte if going to be... maybe he's on that level of improvement too? (my fingers are crossed so tight I'm losing circulation)

That thought crossed my mind too, but then I starting to think... what if Devonte has improved as much as Justin and Al have appeared to? I realize it's a very small sample size at this point, but those 2 guys specifically look like different ball players to me already this year. Like things have finally slowed down a little for them and the confidence is coming through. Archie has said how important Devonte if going to be... maybe he's on that level of improvement too? (my fingers are crossed so tight I'm losing circulation)

This worried me too! But my beer getting cold, well, it concerned me immensely !

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I’ll admit I’m a little worried that Green, as talented as he can be, might throw off some that mojo if he is gunning with “unlimited ammo”.

Its ok to hunt shots if your name is Phin...but not ok if your name is ....?

11 hours ago, biteoftheapple said:
14 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Its ok to hunt shots if your name is Phin...but not ok if your name is ....?

I took it that he didn't want Devonte to go Bracey Wright once he got back in action.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I took it that he didn't want Devonte to go Bracey Wright once he got back in action.

Bracey, I can't miss  'em all, Wright. His struggles shooting on the road were legendary.

I’m interested to see the starting lineup for the next game. If Green is still out and Rob does not get the starting nod again.....I think I’m forced to start thinking Rob is not such a lock for the starting/ending 5 as we might want to believe.

I’m interested to see the starting lineup for the next game. If Green is still out and Rob does not get the starting nod again.....I think I’m forced to start thinking Rob is not such a lock for the starting/ending 5 as we might want to believe.

Why would Rob not start? HE is our PG.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

Rob is our guy but not starting him gives him more rest if his injury is a nagging one but maybe more importantly it gives Franklin more minutes than he might have otherwise experienced plus the chance to play PG and be ready to step in if necessary later on in the season.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Rob is our guy but not starting him gives him more rest if his injury is a nagging one but maybe more importantly it gives Franklin more minutes than he might have otherwise experienced plus the chance to play PG and be ready to step in if necessary later on in the season.

This makes the most sense to me. I am thrilled with Franklin's performance, but I have to remember not to draw too many conclusions from the only game we've seen because WIU is not good.