Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

Welcome to the 2019-2020 IUBB Season

I don’t think we have any consistent shooters yet. That worries me.

Generally excited to see if Archie can get these kids in transition and make use of some of the size he’s acquired.

The kids will have an opportunity to prove their worth with the short bench this year. Therefore chemistry will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This team will be defined by their defense. CAM now has a good nucleus of players that fit his system. The roster has very good balance, and best of all there are no players on the roster that put themselves before the team. We will not see one or two players leading the scoring game in and game out. Terrific offensive balance on the team. The non conference schedule is very underwhelming, but it will allow the staff to tinker with different lineups while building confidence at the same time. Hopefully by the time the grind of December rolls around we will have all hands on deck and be defined as an extremely hard nosed, sound, and deep defensive team.

My hope?   That people keep expectations reasonable.   There are some really good teams in the Big Ten.  Michigan State is terrific, obviously....and we showed we can play at that level a year ago.  Maryland's really good, as is Ohio State.  Indiana - in my opinion - is in the next tier of 4-6 teams right now; but very much on the way up.   Indiana is NOT a Big Ten champion yet.   Indiana is NOT a 25-28+ win team...yet.  

Is Indiana an NCAA Tournament team?  I think they are.  I think the "experts" under value Indiana in part because nobody knows about Hunter yet and the freshmen are a bit under the radar.   Jackson-Davis may be the most under-hyped Indiana Mr. Basketball since Justin Cage.  Franklin is going to be a very good player....and I have said so for a while.  We have depth for a change; and we have experience.  I don't think Indiana is "there" yet, but I do think the trend is upward; and I want fans to have a modicum of patience.

I think it's more than reasonable to expect improvement, and I firmly believe that will happen.   We'll ultimately see what "improvement" means; but our aggregate is better this season than last; and chemistry is allegedly 180* better.   

People have IU ranked so low. If that is where they end up things will surely get interesting as the season moves along. I am remaining optimistic that that the freshman will have some sort of impact and the returning guys all will have gotten better from last season. Health always remains key as well. 

47 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

My hope?   That people keep expectations reasonable.   There are some really good teams in the Big Ten.  Michigan State is terrific, obviously....and we showed we can play at that level a year ago.  Maryland's really good, as is Ohio State.  Indiana - in my opinion - is in the next tier of 4-6 teams right now; but very much on the way up.   Indiana is NOT a Big Ten champion yet.   Indiana is NOT a 25-28+ win team...yet.  

Is Indiana an NCAA Tournament team?  I think they are.  I think the "experts" under value Indiana in part because nobody knows about Hunter yet and the freshmen are a bit under the radar.   Jackson-Davis may be the most under-hyped Indiana Mr. Basketball since Justin Cage.  Franklin is going to be a very good player....and I have said so for a while.  We have depth for a change; and we have experience.  I don't think Indiana is "there" yet, but I do think the trend is upward; and I want fans to have a modicum of patience.

I think it's more than reasonable to expect improvement, and I firmly believe that will happen.   We'll ultimately see what "improvement" means; but our aggregate is better this season than last; and chemistry is allegedly 180* better.   

The Big Ten always has some really good teams. It's never going to change. In fact, it is actually weaker now than i can remember with Michigan clearly taking a big step back and Wisconsin not at the same level they once were with Bo. Purdue should be solid but this may be their weakest team in the last four years or so for Painter. There is no reason we shouldn't finish 4-6. Maybe I am a tad optimistic but we have a lot of familarity within the team. Guys should be well acquainted and familiar with each others games and everyone should be hungry to elevate us back to being successful as a basketball program. At the end of the day, we all just want to go dancing again and see quite a bit of improvement. 

Making the tournament is a must. Tom Allen made a bowl game in his third season taking over the worst major conference program in history. It is not too much to ask Archie to make the postseason at a program with far more historical success. 

What are these mental gymnastics.

I’m not your financial advisor, but I am here to let you know that historical performance do not guarantee future results.

May 2020 bring you peace and happiness gradman.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Making the tournament is a must. Tom Allen made a bowl game in his third season taking over the worst major conference program in history. It is not too much to ask Archie to make the postseason at a program with far more historical success. 
Maybe wait till we are not going to make it then bring this stuff up. I just have a feeling archie is the right guy even though it dont look that way most time so far. Give it time

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, coonhounds said:

Maybe wait till we are not going to make it then bring this stuff up. I just have a feeling archie is the right guy even though it dont look that way most time so far. Give it time

Yes, need to let the season play out. Too early to start on the negatives. People have reflected back to how long it took Beilein to build UM. However, there are examples to the contrary like Beard at TT.   Outside of Davis, Green, Smith and Durham everyone has been recruited by Archie. I expect there to be a lot of improvement and getting to the tourney is well within grasp if guys develop like they should, health goes our way etc. 

So we are supposed to wait to talk about? Just be all rainbows and unicorns until then? So this forum exist why if we are not supposed to talk about it?

1 hour ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

The Big Ten always has some really good teams. It's never going to change. In fact, it is actually weaker now than i can remember with Michigan clearly taking a big step back and Wisconsin not at the same level they once were with Bo. Purdue should be solid but this may be their weakest team in the last four years or so for Painter. There is no reason we shouldn't finish 4-6. Maybe I am a tad optimistic but we have a lot of familarity within the team. Guys should be well acquainted and familiar with each others games and everyone should be hungry to elevate us back to being successful as a basketball program. At the end of the day, we all just want to go dancing again and see quite a bit of improvement. 

I put us in that 4-6 range for a reason and agree with that.  I think we're there now and on the way to a top tier team.  My point is we're not there yet.   We're not yet as good as the 3 teams I mentioned.  I absolutely think we're in the next group; and I think next year's team has a chance to be top 10.   

My point is I hope people don't give up on Archie because he didn't win big right away.  He never had the talent to win big right away, and injuries really hurt a year ago given the dead weight we had behind our top 6-7 players.   That's not true now; and I suspect people will begin to see it unless they're looking for the flaws instead of the improvement.

46 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

What are these mental gymnastics.

I’m not your financial advisor, but I am here to let you know that historical performance do not guarantee future results.

May 2020 bring you peace and happiness gradman.

His overall point is kind of true though... If we miss the tournament this year it would be very concerning. Not "let's fire him now" concerning, but concerning enough to make me start to question if he's the right guy.

His overall point is kind of true though... If we miss the tournament this year it would be very concerning. Not "let's fire him now" concerning, but concerning enough to make me start to question if he's the right guy.

I’d be concerned, but based on roster structure, I think we’ll need to outperform to be comfortably in the tournament.

I look at it in the reverse - if this roster makes it comfortably, I’ll be very impressed.

So we are supposed to wait to talk about? Just be all rainbows and unicorns until then? So this forum exist why if we are not supposed to talk about it?

U dont have to be rainbows and unicorns we would never ever dream of you being happy with the product. What would you become? if we didn't have you and gradman this place would be boring. Just ment to hold off on the missing tournament talk until it looks likely. Enjoy the season until we cant no longer. That's all I was thinking