Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

Welcome to the 2019-2020 IUBB Season

you're definitely right that these early season opponents Kenpom ratings leave something to be desired.

I get some of the cupcakes to start the season. It’s good “practice” to work on things. I just wish we could up the lower end games to something respectable.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I get some of the cupcakes to start the season. It’s good “practice” to work on things. I just wish we could up the lower end games to something respectable.

150-225 range is what I would like. We can practice against walk ons if we want 307.

You could try looking at it from a different perspective that's not negative and critical.  If you understand sports and how college programs are built, it's really not that difficult.   There is one set of facts.  Your perspective on those facts can be different; but the facts don't change.   You almost always look at what's happened in the past and extrapolate those facts into what should drive future decisions or mindsets without taking into consideration what's really happened or happening.
For example :  Archie's team missed the post season in year one.  Fact.  And understood.  But....that team also lost Deron Davis to an achilles injury, Hartman to a back injury, and played the season basically with a healthy Juwon Morgan as its only experienced post player.  Another fact, Josh McRoberts was 5th on that team in minutes played.  We relied on...Josh McRoberts.  Another fact.  Archie didn't have a single of his own recruits play even a minute that season.  Another fact, Archie's philosophy is 180* different than Tom Crean's, and every player who played that season was recruited to play an offense first system, and Archie asked them to be defense first.  
In Archie's second season, Green lost 7 games with injury.  Phinisee, who started really well, lost a month with a concussion (I know he only missed 3 games, but he wasn't right for at least a month).  Race Thompson was out pretty much all season.  Langford battled different injuries to his hand and his back (allegedly) all season.  We had no depth, having Clifton Moore, Jake Forrester, McBob again, a slow and obviously unhealthy Davis, Damezi Anderson who wasn't yet ready, and Evan Fitzner.   Check me if I'm wrong; but that's 9 of 14 players on last season's team that either missed time with injury, were incumbered by injury, or weren't ready or good enough to play last season.
Archie jettisoned Moore and Forrester...good move.  He has recruited 2 straight Indiana Mr. Basketball's..and likely has a 3rd straight already in the fold next season along with one of the fastest rising stars in high school in Geronimo; an athlete like we haven't seen since Oladipo.   The current team got much better defensively a year ago toward the end of the season.   Right now, there is no dead weight on the team as there has been for 2 seasons.  The kids all (except poor Davis) look faster, bigger, and more confident and it doesn't take an expert to see how they played last night vs. how they have looked in year's 1 and 2.   Recruiting is very solid if we agree Indiana needs to become experienced and stay that way.   
If you're an "I need my satisfaction RIGHT NOW!!!" guy, Indiana's not for you. They're not building it that way...regardless of what parameter you place on how YOU will define success this season.  But...if you can see the forest through the trees, you'll easily see the trend is upward and by next season, I think you'll have your national contender.   But..you have to be a little patient, and that's obviously very difficult for you.   
We could talk about stuff like that....but that would require a very different thought process from your typical "fire everyone because we aren't winning and everyone who's not winning to my standard sucks" mentality.   In one man's opinion?  You haven't yet earned the right to expect people to blindly trust your assessments of the state of IU sports, Still want to fire Tom Allen?   Earlier this season when we lost to MSU, you wouldn't get off that hill.   Sometimes, things need to play out, but you have to be able to see what's coming and what's happening...getting OFF of what happened and using THAT as the barometer for everything.

I’ve been alive for 26 years. A few months after Calbert had left. I haven’t seen much from IU basketball. But I was born and raised with it, just as I’m raising my son and will raise my daughter. So forgive me if I want a lot out of IU basketball. If Allen can keep it up, then awesome. 6-8 wins a year is what I want. I’ve been psyched into the whole “positive, positive, positive” before every season. But that’s when I was young and still learning a lot about the game. I was hyped before the 13-14 season and thought we’d be good. We weren’t. Thought we’d be pretty average during Blackmons freshman year and we were. Hyped before the 15-16 season which ended up really well even with a rocky and embarrassing start. Hyped before the 16-17 season and that went into the toilet. Figured we wouldn’t be good in Archie’s first season but didn’t except to get whooped by IPFW and ISU either. Last year wasn’t a surprise as I figured it’d be about like Vonlehs only season where we had no shooters. Which I was called a hater for even though I ended up right. I’ll go all happy and positive when there is reason. This year I see just another average team with some of the same problems that have hurt the past couple years and maybe that’ll get fixed by next season but I don’t expect it to be fixed by any of the newcomers with the experience that’s ahead of them. You can continue thinking I just don’t know anything or hate IU and that’s cool. I don’t really care. I know what I believe and how I feel. And it’s that Indiana has a long way to go and that Archie is just an okay coach and not a guy who will ever take us back to a Final Four because he’s yet to show he can evolve.

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I’ve been alive for 26 years. A few months after Calbert had left. I haven’t seen much from IU basketball. But I was born and raised with it, just as I’m raising my son and will raise my daughter. So forgive me if I want a lot out of IU basketball. If Allen can keep it up, then awesome. 6-8 wins a year is what I want. I’ve been psyched into the whole “positive, positive, positive” before every season. But that’s when I was young and still learning a lot about the game. I was hyped before the 13-14 season and thought we’d be good. We weren’t. Thought we’d be pretty average during Blackmons freshman year and we were. Hyped before the 15-16 season which ended up really well even with a rocky and embarrassing start. Hyped before the 16-17 season and that went into the toilet. Figured we wouldn’t be good in Archie’s first season but didn’t except to get whooped by IPFW and ISU either. Last year wasn’t a surprise as I figured it’d be about like Vonlehs only season where we had no shooters. Which I was called a hater for even though I ended up right. I’ll go all happy and positive when there is reason. This year I see just another average team with some of the same problems that have hurt the past couple years and maybe that’ll get fixed by next season but I don’t expect it to be fixed by any of the newcomers with the experience that’s ahead of them. You can continue thinking I just don’t know anything or hate IU and that’s cool. I don’t really care. I know what I believe and how I feel. And it’s that Indiana has a long way to go and that Archie is just an okay coach and not a guy who will ever take us back to a Final Four because he’s yet to show he can evolve.

It's not that I think you don't know anything.  I think you fail to understand there is more to the story than I think you see most of the time, and other perspectives show and tell different things.   The first 2 teams I remember went 63-1 over 2 seasons and won an NCAA title.  So....if you think I don't want IU basketball to be good, you are outside your mind.   

All I'm telling you is I think your immediate satisfaction expectations are unrealistic.  I don't think you can see past the nose on your face sometimes, which makes you negative, and you haven't yet shown an interest in seeing the good in the journey because you're only interested in the good in the results.   When those kids of yours become teenagers, your perspective will be very different than it is now.  A wise person once told me the beauty of a rose is only half the magic.

I grew up with the 1975 and 1976 teams.  Let that sink in before you assume you're the only one that wants IU to be good.

3 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

The injury excuse is so tiresome. Injuries didn’t cause the pitiful performance against Nebraska, the 17-0 run Michigan had to start the game, or the 22-3 run by Rutgers. IU was very healthy when they got worked by Ohio State in the BTT. Injuries didn’t cause the blowout home losses to Indiana State and IPFW.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah........   You really aren't able to process reality are you?   You're hung up on Archie's first game as IU's coach and games 2 years ago with a team full of kids he didn't recruit??   The absolute pathetic mature of that is consistent comedy.  Do yourself a favor and look up Dr. Adler.   You could really benefit.  (Hint :  get out of the past and what made you unhappy.  You'll live a happier life.  You know nothing.  We all know nothing.  The past is the past.  We memorize those facts.  The future is a blank canvas...there's no story there.  In the here and now, things are different.  You can't see them.  You're stuck.  Get unstuck.  Now...go read.)

Aloha, KP's early rankings are also a lot of guesswork based on last years stats and trying to prognosticate early games. Once each team gets another handful of games under their belt, the overall rankings and SOS should be more of a barometer of the current season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's not that I think you don't know anything.  I think you fail to understand there is more to the story than I think you see most of the time, and other perspectives show and tell different things.   The first 2 teams I remember went 63-1 over 2 seasons and won an NCAA title.  So....if you think I don't want IU basketball to be good, you are outside your mind.   
All I'm telling you is I think your immediate satisfaction expectations are unrealistic.  I don't think you can see past the nose on your face sometimes, which makes you negative, and you haven't yet shown an interest in seeing the good in the journey because you're only interested in the good in the results.   When those kids of yours become teenagers, your perspective will be very different than it is now.  A wise person once told me the beauty of a rose is only half the magic.
I grew up with the 1975 and 1976 teams.  Let that sink in before you assume you're the only one that wants IU to be good.

I don’t expect instant satisfaction. I expect progress. I expect Archie to evolve and progress. Didn’t see it in the first two years as the offense was just terrible. So far this year, no clue as we haven’t played anyone yet. FT shooting has improved though. We can wait and see how the season turns out. But a prediction is based on opinion for the most part. And my opinion is that the only reason this team has a shot at the NCAA tourney is because college basketball is getting in quality of gameplay(a reason for the parity and probably due to the one and done rule and the pushing of athletes to leave college early), Big Ten is down, we have a weak schedule and standards for tourney teams have been lowered.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don’t expect instant satisfaction. I expect progress. I expect Archie to evolve and progress. Didn’t see it in the first two years as the offense was just terrible. So far this year, no clue as we haven’t played anyone yet. FT shooting has improved though. We can wait and see how the season turns out. But a prediction is based on opinion for the most part. And my opinion is that the only reason this team has a shot at the NCAA tourney is because college basketball is getting in quality of gameplay(a reason for the parity and probably due to the one and done rule and the pushing of athletes to leave college early), Big Ten is down, we have a weak schedule and standards for tourney teams have been lowered.

Okay.....we're getting somewhere.  I've been coaching at the high school and AAU level for 22 years.  It's very possible, and I acknowledge I watch and see things differently than some fans do, but I disagree with you on progress....and here's what I mean.

1) DeVonte Green.  I have been very hard on that kid.  Late last season?  His decision making and shot selection, and frankly his fundamentals improved dramatically. 

2)  We lost Langford for the NIT and still played pretty well, winning 2 games in that tournament.  Defense was better, effort was better, and I saw better continuity.  I see the same thing now...only better.  We were still WAY under-sized, and had few shooters.  Both of those problems have either been corrected or are being corrected.  Progress

3) In today's Amazon Prime, at your door tomorrow, 30 minutes or less, need it right now, speed is everything society, it's very easy to expect results to reflect progress.  But..it's not that simple.  They eventually do and they have to; but facts are facts.  Indiana's roster, through no fault of Archie's, was limited.  A new coach walking in the door doesn't automatically mean "results."  Sometimes, that takes a while.  Couple of you wanted Tom Allen fired because you didn't like his credentials.  You didn't like the results that happened last year and couldn't see the progress....until....oh.  Yeah.  Go Tom Allen!

4)  Archie Miller has landed 2 straight Indiana Mr. Basketball's and likely has a 3rd in Leal already in the fold.  His recruiting has made Indiana longer, faster, deeper, more balanced, and more athletic.  Does that translate yet into a national contender?  No; but that would be unrealistic. Next season?  Not so much.  Again..the journey.  Progress is in the journey, not always the results.

5)  Your standards are your standards.  Mine? I want Indiana to be in the conversation for Big Ten champion every season.  That happens?  The rest will take care of itself.  I think we're a year away from that being reality; but I also think this team is much better than people think and will end up making you happier than I think you believe you'll be.

My real point?  Look at what's being built.  Look at HOW it's being built.   Look on the floor and tell me you see the same kind of team you saw last season or the year prior.  If you can, I'd say you're being intellectually dishonest.   Give it ENOUGH time.  If it doesn't develop, Archie will be held accountable.  If it does, you'll be pleased.  We're not stuck.  IU Basketball is in good hands.  It's just not Amazon Prime.  

Archie has done everything right since he was hired except for the on the court results. He has built relationships, he has recruited the state very well, he was revamped the facilities, etc. He just needs to have success on the court now. 

58 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I get you don't like him or wanted somebody else or whatever... but if the entire basis of your constant negativity is that he doesn't evolve and we don't make progress with him as our coach i am curious as to how you measure progress?

Wins? Year 1 - went down 2, made progress as the year went on as we had 2 more conference wins than the prior year. (I don't see that as bad with an entire new staff and philosophy, not even to mention the players)

Year 2 -  3 more wins than year 1

Postseason? Year 1 nothing, year 2 NIT, Year 3....? (Seems like progress to me)

Eye Test? If you can actually tell me you remember what the first game if his tenure looked like and we still look the same then there is nothing else to say?

Stats? Points Scored up 275 in yr 2, Rebounds up 173 in yr 2, Assists up 34 in yr 2, Steals up 27 in yr 2, Blocks up 20 in yr 2... FGM up, 3FGM up, FTM up.... the only statistical category that didn't improve in year 2 was turnovers

Recruiting? As previously mentioned 2 (possibly 3) straight Indiana Mr Basketball, Locked down the State, good momentum

Okay.....we're getting somewhere.  I've been coaching at the high school and AAU level for 22 years.  It's very possible, and I acknowledge I watch and see things differently than some fans do, but I disagree with you on progress....and here's what I mean.
1) DeVonte Green.  I have been very hard on that kid.  Late last season?  His decision making and shot selection, and frankly his fundamentals improved dramatically. 
2)  We lost Langford for the NIT and still played pretty well, winning 2 games in that tournament.  Defense was better, effort was better, and I saw better continuity.  I see the same thing now...only better.  We were still WAY under-sized, and had few shooters.  Both of those problems have either been corrected or are being corrected.  Progress
3) In today's Amazon Prime, at your door tomorrow, 30 minutes or less, need it right now, speed is everything society, it's very easy to expect results to reflect progress.  But..it's not that simple.  They eventually do and they have to; but facts are facts.  Indiana's roster, through no fault of Archie's, was limited.  A new coach walking in the door doesn't automatically mean "results."  Sometimes, that takes a while.  Couple of you wanted Tom Allen fired because you didn't like his credentials.  You didn't like the results that happened last year and couldn't see the progress....until....oh.  Yeah.  Go Tom Allen!
4)  Archie Miller has landed 2 straight Indiana Mr. Basketball's and likely has a 3rd in Leal already in the fold.  His recruiting has made Indiana longer, faster, deeper, more balanced, and more athletic.  Does that translate yet into a national contender?  No; but that would be unrealistic. Next season?  Not so much.  Again..the journey.  Progress is in the journey, not always the results.
5)  Your standards are your standards.  Mine? I want Indiana to be in the conversation for Big Ten champion every season.  That happens?  The rest will take care of itself.  I think we're a year away from that being reality; but I also think this team is much better than people think and will end up making you happier than I think you believe you'll be.
My real point?  Look at what's being built.  Look at HOW it's being built.   Look on the floor and tell me you see the same kind of team you saw last season or the year prior.  If you can, I'd say you're being intellectually dishonest.   Give it ENOUGH time.  If it doesn't develop, Archie will be held accountable.  If it does, you'll be pleased.  We're not stuck.  IU Basketball is in good hands.  It's just not Amazon Prime.  

1. Green has a stretch his Sophomore season of good games. Didn’t carry over until the end of last season. So do I trust Green to be any sorts of consistent? Even throughout a game? No. Has he changed any under Archie? No. Same confident chucker that was recruited to Indiana. And if he’s out best player, this team isn’t getting far because Green just can’t lead a team that way.

2. We lost our best player due to injury that he had fought through all year. The team won a couple games in the NIT and were clearly out played and out coached against Wichita State(and no I don’t want their coach at Indiana and never have). We aren’t undersized like we were last season but this team still can’t shoot and I’m not banking on Leal to fix those problems. I don’t expect Galloway to really even play until he’s a Junior. No clue about Geronimo but all 3 are behind quite a bit of experience at the 2 and 3(assuming Smith and Al both stay).

3. Allen has surprised and has actually been able to win the games he was supposed to for once. Still 4 games to go though and 3 of them are likely to be winnable. No excuses now to not win 8 games. So we will see with him.

4. Archie’s job is to recruit the absolute best to fit his system. I don’t care where they are from. It means jack squat nowadays because the kids even in Indiana don’t understand Indiana’s past greatness. They just know they used to be good. And if a coach at IU has to “have Indiana kids” to get them to buy in, what’s that say about the coach? If we get the Mr. Bball every single year, great. If not? Hopefully we got someone better, it doesn’t matter to me. But as of now, we are just building to be a poor mans Michigan State(without the sexual assault).

5. My standards are Top 4 finishes in the B1G and Top 15 in the nation every single year. If Archie is on a 5 year plan to build continuity, then that shouldn’t be a problem if he’s as good as you say he is right? But with that, I still expect him to evolve as a coach. Meaning getting rid of the trashy offense that still comes up during games where Phinisee just dribbles from screen to screen and running the clock down. The offense has actually looked really good at times while the ball is moving and the team is playing at a quicker tempo than they have the past two years(am I wrong about that too?).

Archie has to understand that he isn’t just competing on a conference based level like at Dayton in the A-10. You’re battling with a few conference foes on a national level. That’s what happens when you take the job at Indiana. You’re expected to compete big in recruiting battles, in the media(for good reasons) and winning. And Indiana fans are smart and they expect a smart and fluid offense. People may want to say how important defense is, which it is, but Indiana was great because of their offenses. They were good at defense because they hustled(probably so they wouldn’t get verbally body slammed in the locker room). But Knight has them running the most beautiful offense you can have when it’s ran correctly. Something Archie needs to take some notes on. Because without us having a legitimate #1 scorer and with little shooting, that’s an offense that would help this team and program because it fits with every roster. Another part of Archie evolving is becoming more relatable and social. He’s a robot and has about zero charm. And you need that a little because fans and recruits connect well with that(am I wrong there?) I’ve said on here, and you likely actively tossed it aside, that Indiana should be competing for the Big Ten title next season if Smith, Al and TJD return. Again, if you chose to ignore that, that’s on you.

4 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie has done everything right since he was hired except for the on the court results. He has built relationships, he has recruited the state very well, he was revamped the facilities, etc. He just needs to have success on the court now. 

This is where Im at. Making the tournament this year is the reasonable expectation.

He has to have it soon. With the predictions of not making the tourney, he’ll get a pass. With Glass even saying it’s a big rebuild, he’s getting at least 5 years. But next season there will be very high expectations if TJD, Al and Smith return. And especially if we get Garcia. We will be expected to compete for the B1G title and a Top 4 seed.

10 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

1. Green has a stretch his Sophomore season of good games. Didn’t carry over until the end of last season. So do I trust Green to be any sorts of consistent? Even throughout a game? No. Has he changed any under Archie? No. Same confident chucker that was recruited to Indiana. And if he’s out best player, this team isn’t getting far because Green just can’t lead a team that way.

2. We lost our best player due to injury that he had fought through all year. The team won a couple games in the NIT and were clearly out played and out coached against Wichita State(and no I don’t want their coach at Indiana and never have). We aren’t undersized like we were last season but this team still can’t shoot and I’m not banking on Leal to fix those problems. I don’t expect Galloway to really even play until he’s a Junior. No clue about Geronimo but all 3 are behind quite a bit of experience at the 2 and 3(assuming Smith and Al both stay).

3. Allen has surprised and has actually been able to win the games he was supposed to for once. Still 4 games to go though and 3 of them are likely to be winnable. No excuses now to not win 8 games. So we will see with him.

4. Archie’s job is to recruit the absolute best to fit his system. I don’t care where they are from. It means jack squat nowadays because the kids even in Indiana don’t understand Indiana’s past greatness. They just know they used to be good. And if a coach at IU has to “have Indiana kids” to get them to buy in, what’s that say about the coach? If we get the Mr. Bball every single year, great. If not? Hopefully we got someone better, it doesn’t matter to me. But as of now, we are just building to be a poor mans Michigan State(without the sexual assault).

5. My standards are Top 4 finishes in the B1G and Top 15 in the nation every single year. If Archie is on a 5 year plan to build continuity, then that shouldn’t be a problem if he’s as good as you say he is right? But with that, I still expect him to evolve as a coach. Meaning getting rid of the trashy offense that still comes up during games where Phinisee just dribbles from screen to screen and running the clock down. The offense has actually looked really good at times while the ball is moving and the team is playing at a quicker tempo than they have the past two years(am I wrong about that too?).

Archie has to understand that he isn’t just competing on a conference based level like at Dayton in the A-10. You’re battling with a few conference foes on a national level. That’s what happens when you take the job at Indiana. You’re expected to compete big in recruiting battles, in the media(for good reasons) and winning. And Indiana fans are smart and they expect a smart and fluid offense. People may want to say how important defense is, which it is, but Indiana was great because of their offenses. They were good at defense because they hustled(probably so they wouldn’t get verbally body slammed in the locker room). But Knight has them running the most beautiful offense you can have when it’s ran correctly. Something Archie needs to take some notes on. Because without us having a legitimate #1 scorer and with little shooting, that’s an offense that would help this team and program because it fits with every roster. Another part of Archie evolving is becoming more relatable and social. He’s a robot and has about zero charm. And you need that a little because fans and recruits connect well with that(am I wrong there?) I’ve said on here, and you likely actively tossed it aside, that Indiana should be competing for the Big Ten title next season if Smith, Al and TJD return. Again, if you chose to ignore that, that’s on you.

You are beyond hope.    You are Veruca Salt.  Before...when I said it's not that you don't know anything?  I was wrong.

Veruca Salt.jpg

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Agree.  The results will come.  "Get old and stay old," and a couple guys won't even give us the chance to get old.

Agree.  The results will come.  "Get old and stay old," and a couple guys won't even give us the chance to get old.

You just choose not to read. Because I clearly stated that Indiana should be a Big Ten title contender next season. Which is a pretty big jump for a team that isn’t expected to make the NCAA tourney this season. Is that not positive enough for you? Do I have to say Indiana is going to win a national championship and be the greatest team ever? That we are going undefeated? You stated some opinions of the team. I stated mine yet I’m wrong? We have no clue what Green will be like this season but you think he’s completely changed because of the end of last season? But I’m wrong because I believe that’s just part of his inconsistency issues? We are supposed to “wait and see” but you’re already predicting things? Or are we only allowed to predict things if they are positive? In case you didn’t notice, I kinda already did that for the 20-21 season.

I would love Indiana to have returned to prominence. Like, yesterday.

But I might love it even more if it took another 4 years with gradual, realistic progress on the way just so a point might finally be driven home around here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would love Indiana to have returned to prominence. Like, yesterday.

But I might love it even more if it took another 4 years with gradual, realistic progress on the way just so a point might finally be driven home around here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It’s not taking 4 more years. At least if people return. We will be a Top 15 team next season. I don’t think we will be a 1 or 2 seed. But somewhere in the 3-5 area is reasonable while competing for the B1G Championship.