Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Penix and Ramsey, a perspective

Maybe one of those schools worse than Indiana?  Your talking like IU is still a bottom feeder. 

I don’t like QBR but he’s got the 24th in the country. I’m sure somebody would take him to replace a senior while their redshirt QB holds a clipboard. 

Aren’t you the one arguing we haven’t beat anyone?

I think you’re greatly overestimating the opportunities for him to transfer into a surefire starter role.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wow with fans so disrespectful about his abilities I bet he’s ecstatic to ride the pint and get insulted. He’s delivered us our best season in 26 years but he sucks and wouldn’t start anywhere.  

If he’s got any competitive fire he’s not happy about not being the starter. 

Where are these posts that are disrespecting Ramsey? I’ve seen several people who have thanked Ramsey and have gone as far as ADMITTING THEY WERE WRONG. That’s showing a ton of RESPECT to ADMIT they were wrong. Crazy

17 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Where are these posts that are disrespecting Ramsey? I’ve seen several people who have thanked Ramsey and have gone as far as ADMITTING THEY WERE WRONG. That’s showing a ton of RESPECT to ADMIT they were wrong. Crazy

Somebody just said he wouldn’t start anywhere because he wasn’t good enough to start here. Basically saying he should just be happy here. 

Every time Penix goes down there are posts about how the team is doomed and things are now hopeless. 

Why would Ramsey transfer? Where is he going to go be a starter if he isn’t the starter at Indiana? Doesn’t seem like a guy who will enjoy losing nor does he seem destined for the NFL. I bet he’s quite happy with the situation at Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Give an example as to where you think he’d be a starter. Your post is complete incendiary trash without any substance.

There’s zero disrespect in there - just reality. He lost the starter job at Indiana. So if he wanted to transfer to be a starter, where are you suggesting he would go? Evidence would indicate that he may not be able to start anywhere better than a low-tier P5 school.

No I hope he does transfer. I think he could take a mac school to a bowl next year. Also, I think there is a chance he gets passed up by Tuttle for 2nd in the depth chart this summer when Tuttle fully understands the play book. 

Somebody just said he wouldn’t start anywhere because he wasn’t good enough to start here. Basically saying he should just be happy here. 

Every time Penix goes down there are posts about how the team is doomed and things are now hopeless. 

They said he wouldn’t start anywhere above a low tier P5 school. I would tend to agree with them. He might start at a decent school that has a system in place that could use him for a season. However, I don’t see a middle to upper tier P5 school guaranteeing him a spot. Does that mean I am disrespecting him?

He seems to be a great person with good quarterback attributes like toughness, smarts, and leadership. I don’t think that qualifies him to land a starting spot at a good football school. He lost the starting spot at IU to a RS freshman. He’s battled through that setback to have a great season but, again, that doesn’t lock him in to starting for a better football program.

I think you all are crazy as I hope Ramsey stays at IU and works his @$$ off. He has a chance to cement himself as one of the quarterbacks that turned the program around with a repeat performance next season. I would love for him to go on to a successful coaching career starting at IU upon graduation.

4 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

How many times do I have to articulate that MSU’s defense isn’t the same as OSU, rather it’s just the second best we’ve seen all season and the only comparable we have? Because I’ve literally made that caveat three times now. But continue with your asinine theory that because IU’s defensive stats per game are currently in line with MSUs then come see me in December after their stretch against the conferences worst teams plus arch rival Michigan. Never mind the talent disparity in pre the conference scheduling. 

Back to Penix the only point I was making is that he can make the sideline and downfield throws against athletic defenses that Ramsey can’t due to arm strength. So while there are teams Ramsey can beat there are others he cannot. Penix doesn’t put our team in that position.  End of point. 

The only thing I see as asinine was bringing Michigan State's defense into a conversation with Ohio State's.  Fact:  Indiana's defense is closer to Michigan State's than Michigan State's is to Ohio State's.  So if you don't want IU's defense to compare to Michigan State's, you shouldn't be comparing performances against Michigan State to Ohio State.  It doesn't matter that it's the second best defense we've seen.....it still isn't comparable by any measure.  

And I don't disagree with the throws that Penix can make that Ramsey can't.  But Ramsey has still rated out as a top 25 quarterback by QBR.  

Whose to say he would pigeon hole himself to P5 schools. And if he’s good enough to drag Indiana to a bowl I’m sure one or two P5 would want him for a year if they have a hot young QB learn. 

And I don’t want him to leave. I just wouldn’t blame him. He has a chance(because Penix isn’t hurt he will get hurt again) to lead this team to its best season in 5 decades and people are still referring to him as some scrub that doesn’t deserve to start. 

We say it all the time it doesn’t matter who starts it matters whose in the game at the end.  And Ramsey is getting it done. 

4 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Understood.  I merely pointed out the differences.  Penix's abilities and skills open up more things and give IU a chance to do more an be more productive.   All I'm saying and all I ever said.  Indiana is limited w Ramsey.  Not that he's bad, but if the goal is to beat the top teams, that won't happen with Ramsey.  It is more possible w Penix.

Maybe it is.  That assumes that Penix actually finishes a game.....and we still don't have much evidence in terms of what Penix does during crunch time.  We've had four games this season that at the beginning of the year we would have viewed as ones that would determine crunch time:  Michigan State, Maryland, Nebraska, and Northwestern.  Northwestern turned out to a blowout.  Michigan State, Penix played the whole way.  I will Penix props for taking the team down the field and scoring the game tying TD with two minutes left.  The defensive breakdown after that isn't on him.  In Maryland and Nebraska, Penix didn't play down the stretch in either.  Ramsey did, and he played well.

I agree in that I think Penix gives us a better possibility to win against top teams.  But I'm also concerned because he hasn't really had much opportunity to perform down the stretch in tight games because of his injury history.

3 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

There’s zero disrespect in there - just reality. He lost the starter job at Indiana. So if he wanted to transfer to be a starter, where are you suggesting he would go? Evidence would indicate that he may not be able to start anywhere better than a low-tier P5 school.

Until this year, we were a low tier P5 school.  We could be again in the near future, who knows.  Maybe you didn't mean that as a dig, but I'm not sure why you think that transferring to a middling P5 school or a lower major IF he wanted to insure playing time would be a down thing in his mind.

That said, I think there is 0% chance of him transferring.  He lost the starting job in a fair competition and was wiling to take the back up spot regardless of Penix's injury.  I'd said he likes it at Indiana.  

Until this year, we were a low tier P5 school.  We could be again in the near future, who knows.  Maybe you didn't mean that as a dig, but I'm not sure why you think that transferring to a middling P5 school or a lower major IF he wanted to insure playing time would be a down thing in his mind.
That said, I think there is 0% chance of him transferring.  He lost the starting job in a fair competition and was wiling to take the back up spot regardless of Penix's injury.  I'd said he likes it at Indiana.  

I don’t know if you meant to quote Brass, but I was trying to argue for what you essentially just said.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Maybe it is.  That assumes that Penix actually finishes a game.....and we still don't have much evidence in terms of what Penix does during crunch time.  We've had four games this season that at the beginning of the year we would have viewed as ones that would determine crunch time:  Michigan State, Maryland, Nebraska, and Northwestern.  Northwestern turned out to a blowout.  Michigan State, Penix played the whole way.  I will Penix props for taking the team down the field and scoring the game tying TD with two minutes left.  The defensive breakdown after that isn't on him.  In Maryland and Nebraska, Penix didn't play down the stretch in either.  Ramsey did, and he played well.

I agree in that I think Penix gives us a better possibility to win against top teams.  But I'm also concerned because he hasn't really had much opportunity to perform down the stretch in tight games because of his injury history.

Ramsey is a great backup QB.  If IU wants to do more than they did with him the two years he started, Penix offers a better opportunity to do that.  Ramsey's limited ability (foot speed, escapability, arm strength, decision making on read option and check with me plays) was on full display.   None shows on stat sheets, but the differences are pretty stark.

33 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I don’t know if you meant to quote Brass, but I was trying to argue for what you essentially just said.

I've lost track at this point.  :)

Anyway, my original point was simply that Penix is really, really good.  Oft injured, but has elite abilities when he plays.  Still want to see him play in more high pressure situations because they have been limited.

And Ramsey is really good.  Certainly hard to do what he has done -- coming in cold unexpectedly numerous times not knowing when.