Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

brumdog45

Penix and Ramsey, a perspective

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Their stats are very similar. Penix with the slightly better YPA and Ramsey with the slightly better completion percentage.

image.thumb.png.7fcb88a5d386176b1f7fa858148a482d.png

DoNaVaN HaLe ShOuLd Be OuR Qb

Its good that we have 2 competent QB's, in IU's history any backup that eventually showed their worth had to deal with a trial by fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoNaVaN HaLe ShOuLd Be OuR Qb
Its good that we have 2 competent QB's, in IU's history any backup that eventually showed their worth had to deal with a trial by fire.

Indiana has some history of backups taking over. I think Blake Powers did it back in the day(which I know was like 2002 or something). Chappell took the job from Kellen Lewis. Nate Sudfeld took the job from Roberson and Penix took the job from Ramsey.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:


Indiana has some history of backups taking over. I think Blake Powers did it back in the day(which I know was like 2002 or something). Chappell took the job from Kellen Lewis. Nate Sudfeld took the job from Roberson and Penix took the job from Ramsey.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Penix borrows the job on occasion. Hasn’t kept it very long. Ramsey has played more than Penix so far this season in fact 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:


The eye test clearly shows Penix and it’s really not close. Now if Ramsey has the same arm strength... we’d be talking about him as an NFL QB.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It’s really not that complicated. We saw what happens when you put Ramsey against elite defenses like Ohio St contrasted to what we saw with Penix vs MSU (not the same but it’s the best comparison we have). Ramsey can’t make the outside and deep throws against speed defenders because he doesn’t have the arm strength. Against certain defenses, Ramsey is more than capable and has shown that. Penix still has a ways to go before he reaches his full potential but he still gives us an opportunity to win in games that Ramsey likely doesn’t. Furthermore, it behooves our staff to give Penix the reps because even if one argues it’s a tie between them now, our future depends on Penix becoming the elite QB Ramsey isn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

It’s really not that complicated. We saw what happens when you put Ramsey against elite defenses like Ohio St contrasted to what we saw with Penix vs MSU (not the same but it’s the best comparison we have). Ramsey can’t make the outside and deep throws against speed defenders because he doesn’t have the arm strength. Against certain defenses, Ramsey is more than capable and has shown that. Penix still has a ways to go before he reaches his full potential but he still gives us an opportunity to win in games that Ramsey likely doesn’t. Furthermore, it behooves our staff to give Penix the reps because even if one argues it’s a tie between them now, our future depends on Penix becoming the elite QB Ramsey isn’t. 

Stats dont show that and you cant compare 4-4 MSU with OSU. Factor in durability and there isnt much difference. Im not pro one or the other honestly. Raw talent doesnt mean a whole lot if you cant stay healthy. I hope the next step is to recruit talented QBs who can stay healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Stats dont show that and you cant compare 4-4 MSU with OSU. Factor in durability and there isnt much difference. Im not pro one or the other honestly. Raw talent doesnt mean a whole lot if you cant stay healthy. I hope the next step is to recruit talented QBs who can stay healthy.

MSU’s record is way more to do with their inability to sustain drives and score points. They have one of the best defenses in the country. I’m not arguing Ramsey hasn’t played really well this year but his ceiling is Penix’s floor, which should be obvious to anyone watching the two this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Penix borrows the job on occasion. Hasn’t kept it very long. Ramsey has played more than Penix so far this season in fact 

Didnt watch the whole game. Any updates on the Penix injury last night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

MSU’s record is way more to do with their inability to sustain drives and score points. They have one of the best defenses in the country. I’m not arguing Ramsey hasn’t played really well this year but his ceiling is Penix’s floor, which should be obvious to anyone watching the two this year. 

So he also struggled to do much against Rutgers after the first 6 minutes. 1 game and yes it is one game doesn’t mean crap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So he also struggled to do much against Rutgers after the first 6 minutes. 1 game and yes it is one game doesn’t mean crap. 

Penix struggled against Rutgers? Absolute insane take, much like every other take you offer on this topic. Whatever man. You like Ramsey. Got it. Debating football with you is a fruitless endeavor. Good day to you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

So he also struggled to do much against Rutgers after the first 6 minutes. 1 game and yes it is one game doesn’t mean crap. 

20/29 with 282 yards and 3 TD's on a day his team ran for > 260 yards, too.  Yeah....what a struggle.  He sucks.

It's laughable how incredibly biased and non objective you are about Ramsey.    Is that a man crush or ignorance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MSU’s record is way more to do with their inability to sustain drives and score points. They have one of the best defenses in the country. I’m not arguing Ramsey hasn’t played really well this year but his ceiling is Penix’s floor, which should be obvious to anyone watching the two this year. 

I believe Penix has a lot more arm talent and is faster. However, I don’t believe it’s fair to say Ramsey’s ceiling is Penix’s floor. Availability is a huge factor and on that alone Ramsey’s ceiling is way above Penix’s floor.

On this topic, I don’t think the staff is getting enough credit for managing this situation. They could have easily botched this but Ramsey obviously has faith in them and himself. It can’t be understated that this season has been as successful as it has been because of Ramsey’s professionalism and dedication to the program and staff. Thank you Peyton Ramsey, Coach Allen, and staff.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

It’s really not that complicated. We saw what happens when you put Ramsey against elite defenses like Ohio St contrasted to what we saw with Penix vs MSU (not the same but it’s the best comparison we have). Ramsey can’t make the outside and deep throws against speed defenders because he doesn’t have the arm strength. Against certain defenses, Ramsey is more than capable and has shown that. Penix still has a ways to go before he reaches his full potential but he still gives us an opportunity to win in games that Ramsey likely doesn’t. Furthermore, it behooves our staff to give Penix the reps because even if one argues it’s a tie between them now, our future depends on Penix becoming the elite QB Ramsey isn’t. 

Ohio State has the #1 in the nation in yards given up.  Michigan State is #7....in the conference.

To put it in perspective:  Michigan State has given up 40% more yards than Ohio State;  if it's the best comparison we can make, it's not real valuable.  Michigan State's defensive is much more similar to IU's -- 8th in the conference -- than they are to Ohio State.  

Another item to put in perspective:  IU had 257 offensive yards against Ohio State.  They had 356 against Michigan State.  Obviously better against Michigan State.  But compare that to the seasonal averages those teams has given up:  Ohio State gives up 224, Michigan State gives up 313.

And, again, I'm not saying Ramsey is as good as Penix (I don't think anyone has said that) but IMO there is a big overstatement on the difference between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×