Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

GAME THREAD: 11/02 7:00PM ET Indiana vs Northwestern FS1

25 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It’s possible but not likely most years. That’s us winning all noncon games (3), beating Rutger and Maryland (5), and then winning 2 of 3 in the crossover games.

If we want to be in that MSU, Iowa, Northwestern middle tier conference teams we’ll need to win 50-50 or more against those type of teams. We took care of business against two solid programs having bad years in Nebraska and Northwestern. Next season we’ll have to hope to go 2-1 in the crossover games to get back to at least 7 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No doubt crossover schedule helped us this year and we took advantage. If we in fact have improved to a "middle of the pack" team then one of Michigan, MSU or Penn St should be in play for a win most years. Pencil Oh St for a loss.

4 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

7-2 *******!!!! Guaranteed winning season. Glad we didn’t fire CTA over the summer.

I’d like to see Penix be able to stay healthy but it’s awesome having Ramsey as THE backup.

Defense came up huge with takeaways. They’ve been solid in the second half of games but they kept a bad offense down yesterday.

Let’s get healthy and give PSU a hell of a game. They’ll be coming off a game at an undefeated Minnesota team and before going to an undefeated O$U. Trap game!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I dont know that we can beat PSU but it does feel like things have kinda fell into place schedule wise for once.

I dont know that we can beat PSU but it does feel like things have kinda fell into place schedule wise for once.

We will get throttled by Penn State in two weeks. But, we can definitely beat Michigan. That Michigan game would be a signature win. One Tom Allen still doesn’t have. Michigan may not be a top 10 team, but they are Top 15ish and that would be a massive win for Allen. Even if we get torched by OSU and PSU in the same season.

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

So much for the "we cant win in the B1G east" argument. Ohio St and Penn St are in the top five and we have 7 wins with a legit shot at 8 wins. Compete in the 50/50 and crossover games and winning seasons are doable.

The argument has never been we couldn't have a winning season.  The argument has been Indiana has a ceiling of 8 wins; 9 if things fall perfectly because even with the occasional anomaly, we start every season 1-3 or 0-3.  You actually just confirmed the argument rather than refuting it.

No doubt crossover schedule helped us this year and we took advantage. If we in fact have improved to a "middle of the pack" team then one of Michigan, MSU or Penn St should be in play for a win most years. Pencil Oh St for a loss.

I like the step we have taken this season, so far, to beat the teams we are equal to or better than. I believe the next step would be knocking off one of the teams that are clearly better than us. Those programs are O$U, PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and MSU. The step after that would be consistently beating one of those teams each season.

It does and I’m still pissed we let MSU get that win. That, coupled with what we’ve done since, would have propelled us even more. I don’t see us beating PSU but competing in that game would be a good sign we’re better than just skirting by the okay conference teams.

5 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Years past we would have lost the games we were supposed to win. But not only have we won, but we've done so, for the most part, by a healthy margin 

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

Nebraska was a preseason Top 25 team and Northwestern was coming off of a 9 win season. It’s not IU’s fault those teams way underachieved. Both looked to be tough opponents when the schedule came out.

It’s not IUs fault but that doesn’t make beating them impressive enough to get ranked. 

It’s not IUs fault but that doesn’t make beating them impressive enough to get ranked. 

Maybe, but why are teams like San Diego State and Navy ranked when their wins are even less impressive. SP+ is a much more accurate measuring stick anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Listen, I understand the love for IU. But we got beat by 6 touchdowns vs OSU and had a less than impressive effort vs BSU. That for myself is reason enough.

I’m not saying Indiana is a world beater, but I have a real hard time making the argument that Navy, SDSU, or any of those other non-P5 teams would fare much better against OSU without their starting QB.

Hard for me to say that Indiana should be ranked based on SOS at this point, but if we beat or keep it within a score of either PSU or UM we should certainly be in the conversation.

1 hour ago, biteoftheapple said:

Listen, I understand the love for IU. But we got beat by 6 touchdowns vs OSU and had a less than impressive effort vs BSU. That for myself is reason enough.

Then why is Wisconsin ranked? Why is Cincinnati ranked? Less than impressive performance vs Ball St is a horrible argument.  

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Then why is Wisconsin ranked? Why is Cincinnati ranked? Less than impressive performance vs Ball St is a horrible argument.  

Well the badgers have actually beaten a team that is currently ranked. I’m not even sure we have beaten anybody with a winning record. 

Ball State might be the only team we have beaten that is even .500  

Maybe my grammar wasn’t perfect but if you are arguing grammar your basically admitting your wrong. 

We beat a 4-3 Nebraska. A team that had a winning record. If you meant we haven’t beat a team that still has a winning record today, then you’re correct.

Either way, I’m still taking Indiana up against a decent number of those teams in the back part of the rankings.