Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

IU vs Gannon Game Thread

Jerome Hunter had a rough night. Shake that rust off young man. The talent is evident.

Can’t figure Race out. Smart player, but doesn’t seem to do anything exceptional. Supposedly a good hustler, rebounder.

Damezi looked better tonight than normal. A more willing passer.

Phin didn’t look quite right.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Fkfootball1 said:

That’s all there is in southern Indiana. Lol. It gets harder every day to find IU fans.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm calling BS! I live down here too and am out and about everyday. Your just trying to fit your narrative. I see more folks sporting IU gear than in the last 15yrs. Now stores down here actually carrry more IU gear than Uof6, and pUKe. 

Duke beat NW Missouri State 69-63 a couple days ago. Don’t look too much into these games, especially when you’re missing 2 key players. Michigan State won a national championship and in the same year lost an exhibition game. These games are to get the freshmen’s feet wet, tinker with lineups and is nothing more than a glorified practice to give these kids a different look than what they’ve been use to all summer. It’s the same as preseason football, can’t put any stock into these games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Franklin was a good surprise. Wouldn’t mind starting him at the 2 with Phinisee at the 1. Though i would only play him about 15 minutes. Would allow to have Green and Al coming off the bench. Still not sold on Anderson. Too many times he just kind for in and looked like he should be at Gannon instead of IU. Hunter is definitely shaking off A LOT of rust. But is a guy that can play the 3/4 and is super long. Could see a lineup of TJD, Smith and Hunter that would be good defensively.

Listening to Fish...he is struggling with the Gannon roster...Ogbuagu, Olawoye, Colosimo...
I thought the students who called the game on BTN+ did a decent job of calling the game for people just learning their craft.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Have to give Damezi some props.  He was a guy that everybody thought would look to transfer to a lower major where he'd get guaranteed minutes.  He stayed and said all the right things about needing to get better and he certainly looks to have worked on his game.  Still isn't looking at guaranteed minutes but I hope he sticks for four years and at some point because a key player.

Post-game comment from Archie hopefully bodes well going forward. 

Archie says Robert Phinisee practiced yesterday "with very little restriction." First meaningful practice work since very early in the month. Wanted him to play as much to see how he responded physically to playing.

Goal for this game was to play him 12 min. and he actually played 13 or 14.

Jerome Hunter had a rough night. Shake that rust off young man. The talent is evident.

Can’t figure Race out. Smart player, but doesn’t seem to do anything exceptional. Supposedly a good hustler, rebounder.

Damezi looked better tonight than normal. A more willing passer.

Phin didn’t look quite right.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Well Rob hasn’t even practiced in October so that’s probably a lot of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It's just 1 game and against Gannon, but 3 specific concerns from last season gave us a totally different look tonight.  Justin, Damezi and Race all with solid stat lines and what that could mean for this season if they can sustain that level of contribution.
On the flip side, 3 point shooting only 33% on 5-15 and not helped by Jerome going 0-4.  FT shooting was 70%  
Hunter will be better from there. Still needs his game legs

6 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I thought the students who called the game on BTN+ did a decent job of calling the game for people just learning their craft.

The lead color commentator kid sounded like a grown man with a classic broadcasting voice, lol. My wife and I were crackin' up.

Duke beat NW Missouri State 69-63 a couple days ago. Don’t look too much into these games, especially when you’re missing 2 key players. Michigan State won a national championship and in the same year lost an exhibition game. These games are to get the freshmen’s feet wet, tinker with lineups and is nothing more than a glorified practice to give these kids a different look than what they’ve been use to all summer. It’s the same as preseason football, can’t put any stock into these games.

Not for some

Have to give Damezi some props.  He was a guy that everybody thought would look to transfer to a lower major where he'd get guaranteed minutes.  He stayed and said all the right things about needing to get better and he certainly looks to have worked on his game.  Still isn't looking at guaranteed minutes but I hope he sticks for four years and at some point because a key player.
I really think he got a little better, but still needs to improve more. We shall see what the season holds.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Post-game rotation players take:

1. Smith
  2. TJD
  3. Phin
  4. Green
  5. Al
  6. Franklin
  7. Brunk
  8. Hunter
  • DeRon
  • Race
  • Damezi
  •  

I'm thinking this:

Starting 5:

Rob, Devonte, Al, Justin, TJD (We agree) I think Devonte and Rob make all Big Ten Team this year. TJD is up there for FOY. 

Off the bench:

Armaan, Joey, Damezi I REALLY like the way Armaan and Damezi played. I expect them in a reserve role. 

Race, De'Ron, and Jerome will play, they just may be up and down roles (may play a lot one game and may not another. Depends on the matchup). My prediction for this year? I say 23-12 (11-9), 6th place in the Big Ten, they make the dance and win a game in the first round. Momentum into next year. 

3 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I really think he got a little better, but still needs to improve more. We shall see what the season holds.

If Damezi can give this team around 15 solid minutes, that's a huge win. I'm not worried about the starting lineup. I was worried about the bench this year. Armaan and Damezi are helping those worries go away. This won't be an exciting team. But they will be a good defensive team. They will kill you down low I think.