Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

GAME THREAD: 10/26 3:30PM ET Indiana at Nebraska BTN

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

If Penix is good to go you play him. Ramsey is a solid backup and played the best game of his career today. Penix though takes this team to another level and if he's ready to play then you play him. Can't just sit your starting QB because he might get hurt. Furthermore, being that Ramsey is such a capable backup is every more reason to start Penix and live with the consequences.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Taking the job from Penix at this point would be suicide for Allen.  He gave the job to Penix who has done nothing to reliquish it.  Ramsey has been really good, but not better than Penix.  If the job were taken from me and I were Penix?  I'd transfer.  And it would send a horrible message to recruits.  Indiana is better with Penix than with Ramsey, and it should remain Penix's job.  I know Allen is loyal to Ramsey and I get it.  But the ceiling is higher with Penix and the floor is no lower.  

11 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Taking the job from Penix at this point would be suicide for Allen.  He gave the job to Penix who has done nothing to reliquish it.  Ramsey has been really good, but not better than Penix.  If the job were taken from me and I were Penix?  I'd transfer.  And it would send a horrible message to recruits.  Indiana is better with Penix than with Ramsey, and it should remain Penix's job.  I know Allen is loyal to Ramsey and I get it.  But the ceiling is higher with Penix and the floor is no lower.  

I'm not advocating for taking the job from Penix, I just think the smart move is to start Ramsey next week and let Penix recover from his mystery injury. Ramsey can take care of Northwestern. Normally you wouldn't sit a healthy player because you're worried he'll get hurt, but Penix has been knocked out of half the games he's played over the last year. When that's the case I think you have to start considering limiting his action against weak teams, especially when he just got hurt last week. With the bye week coming up that'll give him three weeks of rest before PSU. We need him 100% for Penn State and Michigan. 

I'm not advocating for taking the job from Penix, I just think the smart move is to start Ramsey next week and let Penix recover from his mystery injury. Ramsey can take care of Northwestern. Normally you wouldn't sit a healthy player because you're worried he'll get hurt, but Penix has been knocked out of half the games he's played over the last year. When that's the case I think you have to start considering limiting his action against weak teams, especially when he just got hurt last week. With the bye week coming up that'll give him three weeks of rest before PSU. We need him 100% for Penn State and Michigan. 

Agreed with this earlier, but also agree with OF’s point. If Penix wants the additional recovery time, give it to him. But if he’s 100% healthy and is ready to play, you’ve got to start him.

Somehow finding a way to limit his exposure in a pointless game like NW is important no matter how it happens. Like you said, he’s needed for PSU and Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

But Penix hasn’t proven to be better than Ramsey either. Very similar stats against generally weaker competition. It may very well be true 

Ramsey has played more quarters. 17-15. He’s finished 5 of the 8 games and just won two straight big ten road games. This is just as much his team as it is Penix

It all comes down to the locker room. Who are the guys rallying behind in my eyes. Are they behind Penix because they don’t want to see somebody lose their job to injury. Or are they behind Ramsey because he’s led them to a Bowl in October. 

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Agreed with this earlier, but also agree with OF’s point. If Penix wants the additional recovery time, give it to him. But if he’s 100% healthy and is ready to play, you’ve got to start him.

Somehow finding a way to limit his exposure in a pointless game like NW is important no matter how it happens. Like you said, he’s needed for PSU and Michigan.

Yeah I definitely see OF's point. Realistically you can't really sit Penix if he's 100% even if there's good reason to do so. Ideally we will put them away early so he can be subbed out. 

Yeah I definitely see OF's point. Realistically you can't really sit Penix if he's 100% even if there's good reason to do so. Ideally we will put them away early so he can be subbed out. 

Ideal case we get up two scores quick and Ramsey closes the game.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

But Penix hasn’t proven to be better than Ramsey either. Very similar stats against generally weaker competition. It may very well be true 

Ramsey has played more quarters. 17-15. He’s finished 5 of the 8 games and just won two straight big ten road games. This is just as much his team as it is Penix

It all comes down to the locker room. Who are the guys rallying behind in my eyes. Are they behind Penix because they don’t want to see somebody lose their job to injury. Or are they behind Ramsey because he’s led them to a Bowl in October. 

Disagree with your first comment.   Penix's arm allows Indiana to do a lot more offensively.  The ball arrives faster and defenses don't get to the receiver as quickly.  Ramsey's YPA is still  low in comparison (about half a yard less even with a higher completion %), which is driven by his below average arm.  Now....everything else?   Ramsey is very close.  I think he played well today, yet I still say he's limited.  And the offense doesn't have those limitations with Penix.

Penix is also faster and averaging a full 3 yards more per carry than Ramsey.   Even as I completely agree Ramsey made a couple of great plays today.   I just think Penix allows the offense to do much more than Ramsey does.

7 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Disagree with your first comment.   Penix's arm allows Indiana to do a lot more offensively.  The ball arrives faster and defenses don't get to the receiver as quickly.  Ramsey's YPA is still  low in comparison (about half a yard less even with a higher completion %), which is driven by his below average arm.  Now....everything else?   Ramsey is very close.  I think he played well today, yet I still say he's limited.  And the offense doesn't have those limitations with Penix.

Penix is also faster and averaging a full 3 yards more per carry than Ramsey.   Even as I completely agree Ramsey made a couple of great plays today.   I just think Penix allows the offense to do much more than Ramsey does.

Well I’m not surprised his stats are better. 

Of his 15 quarters, 10 are against Rutgers, Ball State and Eastern Illinois. His best game by far in rushing was in fact Ball State. Had negative yardage against MSU

Dude we get it. You're on that hill jumping up and down and waving your arms. Pretty sure you'll continue to find that hill a lonely place. Nearly everyone if not everyone on here appreciates Ramsey and even likes the kid but are also willing to see the truth.....Penix is clearly the best QB currently on IU's roster. You don't need to keep posting the same anti-Penix stuff because we all clearly know where you stand. Very clearly.

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Dude we get it. You're on that hill jumping up and down and waving your arms. Pretty sure you'll continue to find that hill a lonely place. Nearly everyone if not everyone on here appreciates Ramsey and even likes the kid but are also willing to see the truth.....Penix is clearly the best QB currently on IU's roster. You don't need to keep posting the same anti-Penix stuff because we all clearly know where you stand. Very clearly.

Don’t like your preconceived notions being challenged?  

People keep saying Penix is clearly better. If that’s the case how come he hasn’t shown it. Seems like an odd hill to stand on. 

Seems odd to want to jump at the chance to bench the guy that has us bowling in a October. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Don’t like your preconceived notions being challenged?  

People keep saying Penix is clearly better. If that’s the case how come he hasn’t shown it. Seems like an odd hill to stand on. 

Seems odd to want to jump at the chance to bench the guy that has us bowling in a October. 

You're the only one who can't see it.  Does that make the problem everyone else's or.....yours?   

Just now, Old Friend said:

You're the only one who can't see it.  Does that make the problem everyone else's or.....yours?   

I’ve actually acknowledged he’s probably a bit better. A team sport isn’t about having the best players it’s about having the right players. if you have to put words in my mouth to be right. Should probably tell you how weak your position is btw. 

And to quote ESPN( something I loathe to do) “There really is no drop-off with Ramsey at quarterback.”

You don’t screw up what’s working to start a slightly more talented player. If we weren’t winning sure go ahead and put Penix back in. 

Very curious what is wrong with Penix. He seems to have no mobility issues, he throws fine (I saw him warming up and thought he'd play) and if he practiced last week, you'd assume it's not a concussion. Very mysterious. 

Really thrilled with this win.