Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

sweetpain

Secret Scrimmage Information

The injuries were a strain/sprain and a bruise for Green and Rob...just got those updates this morning. Also Al has been “dealing with” something for a bit so sounds like he has some sort of nagging minor injury. Really hoping we get to see Rob and Green next week to get some sort of gauge on this team. I know SS said the FT shooting isn’t a concerned since our 2 best FT shooters didn’t play, I highly disagree. Shooting in an open gym and shooting sub 60% is a cause of concern even if you’re Shaq. We lost 5 one possession games last year and it all comes back to free throw shooting. That HAS to change this year especially when you’re a team that doesn’t shoot the 3 at a high clip. Definitely seems to be some encouragement from this scrimmage given our situation with our guards but I still don’t know what kind of expectations to have with this team and what our ceiling may look like.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It certainly would be nice to see improved free throw shooting this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The injuries were a strain/sprain and a bruise for Green and Rob...just got those updates this morning. Also Al has been “dealing with” something for a bit so sounds like he has some sort of nagging minor injury. Really hoping we get to see Rob and Green next week to get some sort of gauge on this team. I know SS said the FT shooting isn’t a concerned since our 2 best FT shooters didn’t play, I highly disagree. Shooting in an open gym and shooting sub 60% is a cause of concern even if you’re Shaq. We lost 5 one possession games last year and it all comes back to free throw shooting. That HAS to change this year especially when you’re a team that doesn’t shoot the 3 at a high clip. Definitely seems to be some encouragement from this scrimmage given our situation with our guards but I still don’t know what kind of expectations to have with this team and what our ceiling may look like.

I'd say it'd be another five hundred or so a year like the last few. That's just what we are right now

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

We had our best FT shooter on the court in Al(shot 74% last year) and he went 6-8. Our top 3 FT shooters returning are Al(74%), Green(73.6%) and Phinisee(66%). So don’t expect it to get much better. Davis shot 57.7%, Smith shot 51.4%, Race shot 50%. Brunk shot 64.8% at Butler last season. Damezi didn’t attempt a FT last year.

Coach gives Damezi a chance to play and 0-4 shooting free throws is just terrible, if you are recruited as a shooter how can u not be able to shoot free throws? And maybe this is coach saying I gave you a chance and look at your stats? He did get 7 boards but it appears we were -9 when he was playing and he played 2nd most on team. I want to believe in some improvement for DA but will gauge on some more action I guess.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

OK, so I checked out the box score from the super-secret scrimmage and have what probably is a dumb question about what might be a super-secret stat. What the hell does "FD" mean under fouls? 

I've seen hundreds of basketball box scores and don't recall ever seeing that. 

Obviously, I didn't see the game, but what is concerning to me (among a handful of things) is that arguably our worse shooter -- Justin -- took the most shots. Although he did make the only 3-pointer he took. But for the most part, if it's not a dunk -- it could be argued that it's out of his range. His monster Michigan State game obviously was an anomaly -- the offense simply cannot run through Justin.

26 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Fouls drawn. A very important stat. 

^^So in other words, even though TJD did not gobble up rebounds, he was extremely difficult to defend. ^^

I'm not all that worried about Damezi's 0-4 FT line because, well, you know ... Damezi.

TJD better do better than 5-9 FTs because he looks like a starter that will get to the line a lot.

1. Rob
  2. DeVonte
  3. Al/Jerome
  4. TJD
  5. Joey

With Justin, Al/Jerome, Armaan, DeRon, and Race rounding out the rotation. 

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

^^So in other words, even though TJD did not gobble up rebounds, he was extremely difficult to defend. ^^

I'm not all that worried about Damezi's 0-4 FT line because, well, you know ... Damezi.

TJD better do better than 5-9 FTs because he looks like a starter that will get to the line a lot.

1. Rob
  2. DeVonte
  3. Al/Jerome
  4. TJD
  5. Joey

I’m not worried about the 1 rebound either. Especially if he played a lot with Race and Damezi who seemed to be keying on them. 

1. Rob
  2. DeVonte
  3. Al/Jerome
  4. TJD
  5. Joey

Smith will be starting at the 3. I don’t see Archie starting his backup point guard at the 3.

18 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

No declaration about job status from me, BUT there is no reason for IU to be so terrible at FT shooting over time. If 7th Graders at every little burg across Indiana can do it, so can D1 scholarship athletes. It is maddening, completely unnecessary and as someone said above, WILL lose basketball games. 

I know this was just a scrimmage, but it lost this game. We were -12 on FTs in a 3 point loss. It becomes even more concerning when you take into consideration the fact that Miller's half-court offense is similar to Crean's in that its geared toward getting to the line. Doesn't really do much good when you cant hit the d*** free throws...

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Smith will be starting at the 3. I don’t see Archie starting his backup point guard at the 3.

Maybe so, but doesn't it almost feel as if Archie used this scrimmage as an extended audition for the players who have an undetermined role in the rotation? 

If so, it seems as though two of them (Armaan and Race) passed the audition, and two (Damezi and Justin) not so much, which runs against the Justin at the 3 chances. 

Maybe so, but doesn't it almost feel as if Archie used this scrimmage as an extended audition for the players who have an undetermined role in the rotation? 
If so, it seems as though two of them (Armaan and Race) passed the audition, and two (Damezi and Justin) not so much, which runs against the Justin at the 3 chances. 

I wouldn’t say Smith failed. But it seems he was likely relied on as a top scoring option. Which won’t be the case when Rob and Green are back.

Then unless he's improved drastically at the skills required to play the wing, this is going to be another painful season of offense. 

But if he wants to make the NBA he’ll have to play the 3... (/sarcasm)

Justin Smith will be starting at the 3 because of his defensive ability and Archie values defense above all else (though Jerome Hunter could supplant Smith if he shows he can play defense). If Green and Phinisee hit a reasonable percent on their 3-point shots, if our interior offense is more diverse than last year as it should be, and we hit free throws (doubtful if the secret scrimmage is an indicator), then IU will be fine this year.

Then unless he's improved drastically at the skills required to play the wing, this is going to be another painful season of offense. 

His calling card will be defense. That’ll be his biggest asset to the team. I find it funny that somehow having Archie as a coach is a red flag offensively but now it’s up to Justin Smith... Smith will be playing the 3/4 all season.