Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

#IUMS vs. Maryland

I have said all season this is the game I have our long Big Ten streak ending with a loss. However, I would not be surprised with another tie given the equal talent of both teams and it happens a lot with Maryland in the series because of that.

Like us the Terps lost a ton with both their elite defender Donovan Pines and their goalie Dane St. Clair to the pro's. This duo was one of the few that could match Gutman and Muse pound for pound but all are gone now so its a new team. Also the Terps best returning projected player Paul Bin (who scored a rocket fast goal on us last season) is out all year with an ACL. With that said Maryland like us reloads fast and while their record isn't is good, their talent is. They still have the Di Rosa brothers along with Eli Crognale and Brett St. Martin all of who gave us fits last year somewhat. They also still have a really good D even with Pines and St. Clair departing but their offense has had some issues.

Don't be shocked like I said if we lose 1-0 and end our Big Ten streak given the atmosphere and projected sellout. Butler is the only team we have faced with this atmosphere and lost and this time you won't have any IU fans in the crowd plus Maryland is much more talented then Butler. A 0-0 or 1-1 tie would not surprise me either but any other result including a win would be a bit unexpected. 

12 hours ago, Aaron said:

I have said all season this is the game I have our long Big Ten streak ending with a loss. However, I would not be surprised with another tie given the equal talent of both teams and it happens a lot with Maryland in the series because of that.

Like us the Terps lost a ton with both their elite defender Donovan Pines and their goalie Dane St. Clair to the pro's. This duo was one of the few that could match Gutman and Muse pound for pound but all are gone now so its a new team. Also the Terps best returning projected player Paul Bin (who scored a rocket fast goal on us last season) is out all year with an ACL. With that said Maryland like us reloads fast and while their record isn't is good, their talent is. They still have the Di Rosa brothers along with Eli Crognale and Brett St. Martin all of who gave us fits last year somewhat. They also still have a really good D even with Pines and St. Clair departing but their offense has had some issues.

Don't be shocked like I said if we lose 1-0 and end our Big Ten streak given the atmosphere and projected sellout. Butler is the only team we have faced with this atmosphere and lost and this time you won't have any IU fans in the crowd plus Maryland is much more talented then Butler. A 0-0 or 1-1 tie would not surprise me either but any other result including a win would be a bit unexpected. 

That’s disappointing. Here’s hoping for a surprise. Very curious how long this streak can last if they can make it through this game. 4 more games and kids will graduate without ever having lost a big ten game. 

With us poised to be better next year could be interesting. 

I’ll be working but will be checking for updates throughout the night. 32 games without a loss and 12 straight wins hopefully both get extended. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s disappointing. Here’s hoping for a surprise. Very curious how long this streak can last if they can make it through this game. 4 more games and kids will graduate without ever having lost a big ten game. 

With us poised to be better next year could be interesting. 

I’ll be working but will be checking for updates throughout the night. 32 games without a loss and 12 straight wins hopefully both get extended. 

If they get out of tonight with a tie I expect the streak to last through at least the end of NEXT yr.

Yes you heard that right. I don't expect them to lose in the Big Ten for a long time if they don't tonight. After tonight they have an awful Ohio St and Rutgers team and a recently improved Michigan St. team where I expect no worse then two wins and tie with those. Next year I expect a team very similar to the 2017 and 2018 with very few losses at all and a legit contenders with most of the freshman (we might lose Morris and/or Penn but expect everyone else back) back and now a year older. 

The home unbeaten streak that started at the beginning of 2017 should be good to go through the end of 2020 now as well if we don't get upset at Armstrong in the NCAA tourney this year. All 3 remaining home games are against bad teams this year and I think we will be to good to lose next year at home just like 2017 and 2018.  

I knew this was coming. Every loss we have taken since 2016 (and it has not been many) I had a bad feeling before the game. A very young talented team in a hostile environment against a really talented under achieving team is a terrible mix. To make matters worse Maryland got a goal off a very unlucky deflection early and from there we lost focus.

We lost the cushion we had in the Big Ten but if we take care of our next two at home against lowly Ohio St. and Rutgers and tie MSU we still clinch at least a share of the title at worst. Just as I saw losing tonight I don't see us losing again in the regular season and the next three get well games against Evansville and the above mentioned Big Ten opponents should be wins and I expect them to be. Yeagley has a way of getting this team focused after the rare losses and I would not want to be these crap teams coming into Armstrong who are about to take a beating the next three matches. 

Learn and move on.  

29 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Aaron:  You called that one.  What's the story on Ian Black?  A few weeks back, you said that you expected him to miss only a few games with the injury.  Any update?

He's back and he's playing some off the bench. They just like Schmidt, Goumballe and Endeley on the attack. IU is healthy again they are just to deep to start and play everyone tons of minutes.

Just like I called this loss I don't see us losing again in the regular season and given where our RPI is we need to win the next 3 at home and at worst tie MSU for Big Ten title and get decent tourney seed. Also with where our RPI is if we want any chance at a Sweet 16 home game (I would be shocked if we don't get a home game in round of 32 baring a collapse) we need to get a good win in Big Ten tourney semi's as last 4 games and first round Big Ten Tourney game won't help us there. We are sitting at 15-16 in RPI right now which only guarantees one and sends you on the road for Sweet 16 against elite top 2-3 team. Need to be top 8 RPI for home game (or close we might bump up to top 8 like we did in 2016 with a bit lower RPI) or at least 11-12 so if we go on road we are facing like the 6 seed rather then the 1.