Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 10/19 3:30PM ET Indiana at Maryland BTN

I will be blown away if we win more than 8 and very impressed if we do win 8.

Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue are all games we “should” win. You have to assume Penn State and Michigan will be loses, but Michigan in Btown may be primed for an upset if the fans show out (I suspect they will as we’re one win away from a bowl and a win against Michigan could get us some looks at better bowls).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue are all games we “should” win. You have to assume Penn State and Michigan will be loses, but Michigan in Btown may be primed for an upset if the fans show out (I suspect they will as we’re one win away from a bowl and a win against Michigan could get us some looks at better bowls).

Lol if that happens somebody in Khakis will be hitchhiking back to Ann Arbor. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Wish we knew more about Penix's injury. With the way IU protects injury statuses like they're nuclear codes we probably won't find out. He's really good, but it's concerning that he's gotten injured in 2 of his 5 starts this season after tearing his ACL last season. 

Injury prone I'll go ahead and say it. Dude cant stay on the field.

Lol if that happens somebody in Khakis will be hitchhiking back to Ann Arbor. 

Oh, there will be fans who demand his resignation if they lose to IUFB. I know we’ll disagree, but we need a healthy MPJ to have a real chance in that game.

Stevie Scott showing up more lately is reassuring as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I think the Purdue game will be tougher than expected. They should have Rondale Moore back by then and their new freshman quarterback looks good. They beat Maryland pretty handedly last week. With our secondary being a weak spot for us it could be a tough one to win.

18 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Oh, there will be fans who demand his resignation if they lose to IUFB. I know we’ll disagree, but we need a healthy MPJ to have a real chance in that game.

Stevie Scott showing up more lately is reassuring as well.

I would agree but need to reign Penix in a bit.  Needs to kill a little more clock than his usual style. 

All too often we see our D wilt under pressure. Yet today they were able to be fresh and came up with two big turnovers. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. 

We were running Penix quite a bit today before he got hurt, which I wasn't thrilled about. Then we also ran Ramsey a bunch even though we'd be extremely thin had he gone down too. I also didn't like punting inside the 40, though it didn't bite us. Our defense seems to be growing together a bit, but they haven't been strong enough to justify playing so conservatively. For better or worse, this year's Hoosiers are an offensively-oriented team whether the coaches would prefer that or not.

Thankfully Ramsey didn't get hurt carrying the ball. Hopefully Penix can get back for the Nebraska game but even if he isn't back I think we still have a chance if Martinez isn't back for them yet. Could be an ugly game but well today's game was an ugly win and I certainly don't mind.

Give it  to Javon Leake....coming into today he had 79 career carries and had ran for 839 yards and 14 touchdowns.  After today, he's had 102 carries for 997 yards.  Dude has basically put up 1000 yards rushing on 100 carries.

I know that Anthony McFarland had a hell of a year last year but I wonder why Leake can't get more touches.  He certainly showed today he can handle a heavy load.

I would agree but need to reign Penix in a bit.  Needs to kill a little more clock than his usual style. 

All too often we see our D wilt under pressure. Yet today they were able to be fresh and came up with two big turnovers. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. 

Idk they also let up massive plays on that final Maryland touchdown drive. It’s just not a great defense.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Idk they also let up massive plays on that final Maryland touchdown drive. It’s just not a great defense.

They held them to 14 points in the final like 42 minutes. They aren’t great but having a few seconds to catch their breath sets them up for success 

35 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Yet they also didn’t let them get points. They scored 7 points the entire second half. They adjusted well.

Edited by Hoosierfan222

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU is now 5-2 on the season. That’s five straight years on which IU has won five games. It’s just the second time in #iufb history that that has happened.

Ken Bikoff

That is a really sad, sad stat.

Game recap while I’m still sober.

Was it pretty no. did we win yes. Do we usually choke in that situation, yes. Defense, wtf, first half ugly beginning of second half, perfect, but then you go back to same defense of first half......why? They didn’t change much at all....pigrome isn’t accurate. I don’t get it. Womack needs some second guessing. That’s my opinion. Offense. Hit a lull again. Penix...not related injury. From what I’ve heard, concussion protocol. Ramsey completed the game. Bad throws here. Good throws there. You can see the difference on speed to receivers. His deep passes were great! I’ll give him that. Let’s run, the go deep, he can make those throws, short quick hitting passes just aren’t his forte in terms of allowing WRs to make moves.  DL was actually decent second level was trash today. Sorry DL, great push. I love DMAC and what he brings to IU. Young guys step up once again for IU. This time they don’t let it slip away, almost, but they didn’t today. We are 5-2. We are where we need to be. Some of us thought we would be 5-2, some would have thought we would have been 4-3 at this point. We aren’t. There are winnable games left. It won’t be easy, but we are close. Ok some of you don’t like that, the we are close comment, but we closed out a game and won. It’s not a woe is me win. We won. We got a takeaway when we needed thanks to an awful pass. Thanks to pas rush on a non pocket passer. Made him step up..... awful throw. Thank you Tom Allen. Thank you Ramsey. Thank you for not giving up when you were beat out. Thank you for playing for IUFB. We are 5-2. Go Hoosiers. 

Luce out. 

To be clear....thrilled with a Big Ten road win. That being said I was a bit more impressed with most of our play vs MSU.
Against Maryland the defense stunk, we were not disciplined and had a number of stupid penalties and the OC shriveled up again when calling plays in crunch time. It’s true we lost Penix but MD was without their QB, best RB and best defensive back (ie we did not beat a good team). 
On a positive note it was great to get a W and we are VERY lucky to be a mediocre program with such a good backup QB. There are not a lot of so-so teams that would have won a road conference game with their back-up QB.

Hopefully this win helps  give this team (and coordinators) the confidence/swag to be mentally ready to win at Nebraska.

Hope this team doesn’t celebrate too much and is able to focus and get back to business and make sure win #6 doesn’t slip through our fingertips. Hoping Penix gets cleared soon. 2nd half offense was discouraging. Only TD drive we had was thanks to Stevie gaining 50 of the 62 yards (all on the ground) and our other score (a FG), came because of the D and came off of a 4 play -1 yard drive...could’ve sealed the game at the point. It seemed as if the play calling second half was very conservative/manilla and our coaching staff HAS to get away from that. Thank goodness the D stepped up and made the necessary adjustments. It seemed as if Maryland stopped testing our secondary which didn’t make any sense...Nonetheless, let’s get better and focus on being 1-0 next weekend and beat those Huskers!