Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 10/12 12:00PM ET Indiana vs. Rutgers BTN

It means high flying explosive quarterbacks who either go 3 and out or score a TD aren’t the way you upset Penn State and Ohio State. 

You can’t beat them at their game. They are better at it. You have to be different. 
So chew the clock? Don't make them respect the field passed the safeties and hope for a bunch of FG's is the way to beat them? We've tried that and it hasn't worked for......well the entire duration of Indiana football.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Just now, rcs29 said:

So chew the clock? Don't make them respect the field passed the safeties and hope for a bunch of FG's is the way to beat them? We've tried that and it hasn't worked for......well the entire duration of Indiana football.

Did you miss the Kevin Wilson years?  Because that was exact opposite of what you just described. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It means high flying explosive quarterbacks who either go 3 and out or score a TD aren’t the way you upset Penn State and Ohio State. 

You can’t beat them at their game. They are better at it. You have to be different. 

How about a quarterback who completes 20 passes in a row and moves the chains to keep the defense off of the field?  Not to mention one who can run the RPO, and is only going to get better. He's not just flinging the the ball 60 yards every play. Kids want to play with a dynamic talent like Penix!

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Penix has played one legit team and the game ended with him fumbling for a 

So it's his fault they lost that game? You're obviously watching a different quarterback that everyone else is.

5 minutes ago, jk34 said:

How about a quarterback who completes 20 passes in a row and moves the chains to keep the defense off of the field?  Not to mention one who can run the RPO, and is only going to get better. He's not just flinging the the ball 60 yards every play. Kids want to play with a dynamic talent like Penix!

20 passes in a row against a good team?  

Moving the chains to keep the defense off the field is what I am saying we need to do. Scoring quick or not scoring is why our D gets gassed. 

is he going to get better. Seems like he’s keeps getting hurt

Do kids want to play with a guy like Penix I doubt it. The talented kids go where the money is at. 

Just now, jk34 said:

So it's his fault they lost that game? You're obviously watching a different quarterback that everyone else is.

Didn’t say that. If you repeatedly have to make up stuff to make your care. That’s a good sign your wrong. 

Did you miss the Kevin Wilson years?  Because that was exact opposite of what you just described. 
No I didn't miss them. The better question I should have asked is what "different" would you like to see that hasn't been done already? That better? It seems as if you'd like to play a style that wouldn't work to our strengths. If of course you are suggesting a ball control style. We won't beat the OSU's and PSU's because we are way outmatched in talent not because we weren't "different".

Or and I don’t think this is much of a limb you are misrepresenting or misunderstanding what I have claimed. My guess is you aren’t able to understand because you see the world in black and white terms. 

Peyton Ramsey would have had us 4-2 at this point. If Penix is something special he has to prove it the second half of the season. 

Penix has played one legit team and the game ended with him fumbling for a TD. 

Ramsey has played one legit team and the game ended with the Hoosiers losing by 40+. Obviously MSU and OSU aren’t quite the same, but at least Penix gave us a chance to win on the road against a ranked team. Wasn’t the offense that lost that game that’s for damn sure.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

Ramsey has played one legit team and the game ended with the Hoosiers losing by 40+. Obviously MSU and OSU aren’t quite the same, but at least Penix gave us a chance to win on the road against a ranked team. Wasn’t the offense that lost that game that’s for damn sure.

MSU is much worse than OSU. They were ranked at the time, but now they're not. They were overrated. In the past two weeks they've been beaten down by the two best teams in the Big 10.

And for anyone who thinks wanting Allen fired is crazy, well, MSU fans want Dantonio fired. (And not because his players are rapey). 

MSU is much worse than OSU. They were ranked at the time, but now they're not. They were overrated. In the past two weeks they've been beaten down by the two best teams in the Big 10.
And for anyone who thinks wanting Allen fired is crazy, well, MSU fans want Dantonio fired. (And not because his players are rapey). 

Hate to be transitive property guy but MSU lost by 24 in the Shoe during prime time. We lost by 41 at home and also played MSU nearly even. The two QB’s aren’t even comparable; it’s obvious just by watching em play.

54 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

Hate to be transitive property guy but MSU lost by 24 in the Shoe during prime time. We lost by 41 at home and also played MSU nearly even. The two QB’s aren’t even comparable; it’s obvious just by watching em play.

They only lost by 24 to OSU, but they were beat 38-0 by Wisconsin yesterday. Gained fewer than 150 yards of offense and only had 7 first downs. I'm just saying that it remains to be seen how good Michigan State actually is. They were only 7-6 last year. Personally, I think they're closer to the middle of the pack B1G teams than they are OSU/Michigan/Penn State/Michigan. 

46 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Believe it or not we sit at 13th in the country in total defense

That sounds good until you break it down by the teams we've played. 

145 total yards to 1-5 UConn, 0 touchdowns.

75 total yards to 1-5 Rutgers, 0 touchdowns

116 total yards to 0-7 FCS Eastern Illinois, 0 touchdowns

Average of 112 yards per game against teams with a combined record of 2-17.

398 total yards to 3-3 Ball State, 3 touchdowns

520 total yards to 6-0 Ohio State, 6 touchdowns

445 total yards to 4-3 Michigan State, 4 touchdowns

Average of 454 yards per game against teams with a combined record of 13-6.

They look unstoppable against the little sisters of the poor. When they play teams as good or better than them they get gashed. We will see what they're made of over the next 6 games. The majority of them are very winnable, so no excuses. 

The defensive rankings of the SP+ control for opponents and have us ranked around 30th I believe.

So once you break it down by the teams we’ve played using an objective methodology...

We have a defense.

The defensive rankings of the SP+ control for opponents and have us ranked around 30th I believe.

So once you break it down by the teams we’ve played using an objective methodology...

We have a defense.

It’s still going to have to show up when we play better teams. And it hasn’t. Michigan State doesn’t have a good offense and they still whooped this defense. This team can be bowl eligible in two weeks. But the defense is going to have to step up to do that. Maryland has fallen off a cliff and their QB isn’t that great. Should be a good game for the DB’s. Nebraska isn’t good but beating the name Nebraska would be nice. Especially at Nebraska. We have 5 winnable games left and the defense is going to have to show in all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

We have a defense.

We have a defense that hasn't shown up when we've played any team .500 or better. There's really no argument that they have. We most certainly didn't have one in the Michigan State game. Any ratings system is going to be skewed by the results we had against the 3 teams that have went 2-17. Sure, it's great that they played well against those teams, but it tells us next to nothing about how they'll do against legitimate competition. In fact, we know how they've done against legitimate competition, because they're giving up over 450 yards per game against teams that are .500 or better. That would put us dead last in the Big 10.

Concluding we "have a defense" would be like concluding "IU basketball has an offense" after scoring 100+ ppg in games against directional schools and then averaging 40 ppg against, say, Duke, Butler, and Purdue. Even if the rankings "control for opponents" as you say, they are still going to be skewed because the defense was so dominate in those three wins. In half of our games the defense has given up fewer than 150 yards. You can only adjust so much for competition, so that's going to skew the results. They haven't shown up in a single game this year against even a decent team, and you know that. We don't get to play another winless FCS school this year.