Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Hoosier Hysteria

Yeah we need his shooting too bad for him not to. In a down shooting year he will still be in a better position offensively to help than Al probably will. But I have never seen a 30 mpg player not start.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Al will start too. At least to start the year unless something changes because of injury.

Has there ever been a player that averaged 30 mpg off the bench? I don't even mean at IU, like ever in college basketball? There probably has been, but it's got to be extremely rare. If Green doesn't start it's because something went incredibly wrong for him this season. 

Not sure. But it couldn’t fit another player better. He really is our Lou Williams. He will start and I know that. I just don’t think he should. I think he’s just one of those guys who best off the bench.

Yeah we need his shooting too bad for him not to. In a down shooting year he will still be in a better position offensively to help than Al probably will. But I have never seen a 30 mpg player not start.

Sheehey was probably the closest we had but he played just over 20 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Sheehey was probably the closest we had but he played just over 20 minutes.

The outlier example that I can think of has been Lou Williams in the NBA. He has been the Clippers leading scorer the past two seasons, averaging 22.6 and 20.0 ppg while rarely starting. 

His minutes per game? 32.8 and 26.6 in a 48 minute game; which would equate to 27.3 and 22.2 per a 40 minute college game.

In other words, if DeVonte is averaging 30 mpg, he's starting. Period.

The outlier example that I can think of has been Lou Williams in the NBA. He has been the Clippers leading scorer the past two seasons, averaging 22.6 and 20.0 ppg while rarely starting. 
His minutes per game? 32.8 and 26.6 in a 48 minute game; which would equate to 27.3 and 22.2 per a 40 minute college game.

I think the Clippers just wanted to get him another 6th man trophy. He’s become the best 6th man ever. Even better than Jamal Crawford. Green just fits that mold. He’s a microwave. I’d be fine with him only playing 26-30 minutes depending on the night and depending on his play. If Green is our best player, I think we have big problems.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't think there's any question DeVonte starts.   He was named a captain, and his play the last 2-3 weeks of the season a year ago really encouraged me.   FAR less "bad DeVonte" and far fewer bad shots and poor decision making.  His defense was also better.   I've been as hard as anyone on him, but he really impressed me and I hope that player continues to develop.

He's a tough one because he's not a pure point and a little small to be a 2; but that's what he is on this team.  That will likely force us to go bigger at the 3, which makes Durham the odd man out.  I think we'll end up starting Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith, and Jackson-Davis.   I think Brunk will play 18-20 minutes every night; I think Davis will play 15, I think Franklin is capable of much more, but I think he'll only play 12-15 minutes or so; Durham is the one I think will end up getting 20+ minutes off the bench.   Not sure what Thompson and Anderson will get, but probably not 15 minutes between them.   Indiana has good problems and not a whole lot of drop off because I think we have 8 starters.   (Brunk, Durham, and Franklin the other 3 who I don't believe will start)  Man, I hope we stay healthy.

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If Green is our best player, I think we have big problems.

There's validity to that point, but you're defining potential failure as Green being our "best" player, and that's a very tough term to define. If this IU team succeeds, there will be numerous players playing key, and very different roles. Pretty much the polar opposite of last year, when Juwan and Romeo were our two "best" players.

I think that this team can succeed if DeVonte Green is our best scorer.

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I don't think there's any question DeVonte starts.   He was named a captain, and his play the last 2-3 weeks of the season a year ago really encouraged me.   FAR less "bad DeVonte" and far fewer bad shots and poor decision making.  His defense was also better.   I've been as hard as anyone on him, but he really impressed me and I hope that player continues to develop.

He's a tough one because he's not a pure point and a little small to be a 2; but that's what he is on this team.  That will likely force us to go bigger at the 3, which makes Durham the odd man out.  I think we'll end up starting Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith, and Jackson-Davis.   I think Brunk will play 18-20 minutes every night; I think Davis will play 15, I think Franklin is capable of much more, but I think he'll only play 12-15 minutes or so; Durham is the one I think will end up getting 20+ minutes off the bench.   Not sure what Thompson and Anderson will get, but probably not 15 minutes between them.   Indiana has good problems and not a whole lot of drop off because I think we have 8 starters.   (Brunk, Durham, and Franklin the other 3 who I don't believe will start)  Man, I hope we stay healthy.

Barring injuries, this is pretty much exactly where I currently am with distribution of rotation minutes.

I just don’t see Hunter starting right away. Archie has stated that he is going to ease him into to minutes and playing time. I don’t know who that starter will be to start with but I think it will be Durham. As for Anderson and Race they will get opportunities. Whether it be from foul trouble or injuries. If they play well then great there minutes will go up. If they don’t then they will be stuck on the bench.

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I expect our rotation to be all scholarship players with Franklin, Damezi and Race to on the outside looking in. 

Which if Race can’t get minutes now gotta wonder if he transfers. 

I am one opinion based solely on what I have seen, but Franklin is very able to help immediately.  He can play the 2 or 3, can shoot, he's athletic and very strong, good finisher, great defender, and I saw him get an easy 30 against Lawrence North in the sectionals last year ...and LN had 3 D1 kids on the team. 

I don't think he starts, but I absolutely think he plays meaningful minutes.  I have said and I'll stand by that I don't know what Romeo can do that Franklin can't.  

There's validity to that point, but you're defining potential failure as Green being our "best" player, and that's a very tough term to define. If this IU team succeeds, there will be numerous players playing key, and very different roles. Pretty much the polar opposite of last year, when Juwan and Romeo were our two "best" players.
I think that this team can succeed if DeVonte Green is our best scorer.

That’s the most likely outcome. Last year Morgan and Romeo were clearly above everyone else. Green is the most likely to be our best scorer. That’s whether he starts or not. I don’t see Rob making a Yogi Ferrell jump(7.6 to 17.3). I think TJD will end up being the best post offensive player and maybe even best inside defender. He’s not Cody Zeller by any means, but he can definitely get himself 12 points a night and Brunk and Davis probably won’t average that combined. Al is the best 6th man candidate. Smith and Rob will fight for best perimeter defender. And I think we will see flashes of Hunters offense and be everyone’s “future top scorer.” The team has good pieces though it doesn’t have any alphas which could be a problem at some point.

I am one opinion based solely on what I have seen, but Franklin is very able to help immediately.  He can play the 2 or 3, can shoot, he's athletic and very strong, good finisher, great defender, and I saw him get an easy 30 against Lawrence North in the sectionals last year ...and LN had 3 D1 kids on the team. 
I don't think he starts, but I absolutely think he plays meaningful minutes.  I have said and I'll stand by that I don't know what Romeo can do that Franklin can't.  

Well Romeo was a talent who was clearly head and shoulders better than everyone when healthy and someone who still averaged 16 a game injured. If Franklin can do that as a freshman, he will be starting and we will all be happy and excited.

A lot of people suddenly expecting Green to be something he hasnt been for three years.

I think most everyone expects him to be our leading scorer. No more, no less. Whether that’s good or bad, we will have to wait and see. I think that’s the discussion.

25 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

A lot of people suddenly expecting Green to be something he hasnt been for three years.

Disagree:

After he was suspended last year, for a relatively extended stretch he was exactly what people are hoping he will continue to be.

Coupled with him being named a team captain and Archie singing his praises in the pre-season, it is far from certain that he will continue to be a real net positive, but it is also a reasonable conclusion that he will do so.