Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Hoosier Hysteria

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Disagree:

After he was suspended last year, for a relatively extended stretch he was exactly what people are hoping he will continue to be.

Coupled with him being named a team captain and Archie singing his praises in the pre-season, it is far from certain that he will continue to be a real net positive, but it is also a reasonable conclusion that he will do so.

I would expect a Devonte Green thread to get a lot of business this season. Good and bad.

I'm not convinced there should be one set starting lineup.  A better lineup against quick teams might be TJD, Justin Smith, Jerome Hunter, Robert Phinisee, and Devonte Green. The better lineup against many bigger Big Ten teams might be De'Rron Davis, TJD, Hunter, RP, and Green. TDJ looked very quick around the basket at HH and Hunter looked good driving to the basket. Hunter looks more ready to play than perhaps anticipated. They are the most talented players on the team and both need to play as much as possible

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well Romeo was a talent who was clearly head and shoulders better than everyone when healthy and someone who still averaged 16 a game injured. If Franklin can do that as a freshman, he will be starting and we will all be happy and excited.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Re-read what I said.  I didn't say I think he'll produce the same; I said I don't know of anything Romeo could do that Franklin can't as a freshman.   Very similar skill set.  Romeo may be have been more experienced against better players in the summer, but he was also over rated.  He wasn't a top 10 player.  Hell, by one service's rankings he was rated 6th.  Zion Williamson was 5th.  

All I said was Franklin will contribute and he's a better player than many have given him credit for.

Re-read what I said.  I didn't say I think he'll produce the same; I said I don't know of anything Romeo could do that Franklin can't as a freshman.   Very similar skill set.  Romeo may be have been more experienced against better players in the summer, but he was also over rated.  He wasn't a top 10 player.  Hell, by one service's rankings he was rated 6th.  Zion Williamson was 5th.  
All I said was Franklin will contribute and he's a better player than many have given him credit for.

Well Romeo has the ability to make it happen on the court. If you seriously think Romeo and Franklin are on the same level as freshmen, then you’re boy crush for Franklin has gone too far. You’re comparing an injured Romeo that was still arguably the best player on the team and one of the best freshmen in the nation to a guy who is no better than 9th in the rotation.

33 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I haven't seen a lot of Franklin, but I'll be very content with that and believe that is what this team needs. A solid 10-12mpg guard that can play smart, defend. score a little and not be a huge drop-off from the starter.

I think Rob, Green & Al eat up the majority of mins at the guard spots, but definitely need some quality depth. 

It would be great if Armaan Franklin can contribute in important ways this season but we shouldn't count on it.  He obviously doesn't come to IU with anywhere near the scoring ability that Romeo had/has. But he looks to be a solid player with a good future at IU.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

It would be great if Armaan Franklin can contribute in important ways this season but we shouldn't count on it.  He obviously doesn't come to IU with anywhere near the scoring ability that Romeo had/has. But he looks to be a solid player with a good future at IU.

You all are selling him way short.   I won't say any more than that.  Granted, from 3 games; but you can see the skill set.  (#5 is Cam Jordan.  He's a high level football recruit (WR) and a good friend of my son's.  Kid worth rooting for if you're so inclined)

We always think we are “deep and have a flexible roster” in the preseason, then realize by B1G season we have 3 guys that are B1G level.

I’m not sold on Race, Damezi, Justin Smith.

I’m not sold on Brunk’s athleticism vs B1G bigs. Same for DeRon.

Al D and Devonte are streaky shooters. Phinisee as a shooter??

Can Jerome stay healthy?

Unfortunately this is why most rate us as 9th or 10th in the B1G.

Time for some guys to step and exceed expectations as individuals and as a team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Because most fans think of the absolute best situation to happen. Where everyone makes that great leap and stays healthy. We have no clue what Green is going to do this year because he has been that inconsistent his entire career. We’ve seen peak Durham. We’ve seen peak Smith in a few games because he’s so inconsistent. Damezi isn’t a B1G player period. It’s looking like Race may not be either. Brunk and DeRon have the strength and size so that’s helpful. TJD is obviously by far and away the most athletic big man we have and that isn’t even close. Hunter is a mystery. By the end of the year TJD and Rob will be the main men of the team because of the ceilings reached and the inconsistencies of Green, Smith and Durham. We don’t have a single guy on the team who would be consider a Top 15-20 player in the B1G and it’s debatable if TJD is a Top 25-30 player.

Because most fans think of the absolute best situation to happen. (Of course fans are going to the think the absolute best what’s the alternative Doom and Gloom? No thanks)

Where everyone makes that great leap and stays healthy. We have no clue what Green is going to do this year because he has been that inconsistent his entire career. We’ve seen peak Durham (your opinion you have no clue what is his peak). We’ve seen peak Smith in a few games because he’s so inconsistent(your opinion). Damezi isn’t a B1G player period.(Your opinion you have no clue if that’s true just like you told people they have no clue what Green is going to do)
It’s looking like Race may not be either. Brunk and DeRon have the strength and size so that’s helpful. TJD is obviously by far and away the most athletic big man we have and that isn’t even close. Hunter is a mystery. By the end of the year TJD and Rob will be the main men of the team because of the ceilings reached and the inconsistencies of Green, Smith and Durham. We don’t have a single guy on the team who would be consider a Top 15-20 player in the B1G and it’s debatable if TJD is a Top 25-30 player. (Your opinion no one will be a top 15-20 player in the B1G this year just like its my opinion someone from the team will make the 1,2 or 3rd team by years end.

You can’t say my opinion doesn’t matter because you don’t like it. Even Archie said Damezi still has a lot to work on. TJD and Green could absolutely make one of those 3 teams. TJD is already a Top 25 player. Green has something to prove. Rob is a good bet. I can see all 3 really. But even our two best last year(who are better than anyone on this years team) only made 3rd team.

You can’t say my opinion doesn’t matter because you don’t like it. Even Archie said Damezi still has a lot to work on. TJD and Green could absolutely make one of those 3 teams. TJD is already a Top 25 player. Green has something to prove. Rob is a good bet. I can see all 3 really. But even our two best last year(who are better than anyone on this years team) only made 3rd team.

I never said your opinion didn’t matter just pointing out it’s your opinion on those things and not absolute. Romeo made 2nd team on the one voted by the coaches

WTF are you even saying?! Do you just throw **** against the wall and see what sticks?! Do you believe anything you post it just post for **** and gigs? Your hot takes are comparable to Taco Bell diarrhea of the mouth.

Well I said it’s debatable if he’s a Top 25-30 player. Meaning you can debate if he’s a Top 25 guy. My opinion is that he’s a Top 25 guy. Understand now?

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

I never said your opinion didn’t matter just pointing out it’s your opinion on those things and not absolute. Romeo made 2nd team on the one voted by the coaches

Absolutes is his language of choice. 

Well I said it’s debatable if he’s a Top 25-30 player. Meaning you can debate if he’s a Top 25 guy. My opinion is that he’s a Top 25 guy. Understand now?

Hahahaha no. No one understands you Joe. Understand now?

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We always think we are “deep and have a flexible roster” in the preseason, then realize by B1G season we have 3 guys that are B1G level.
Except when we think we're flawed, thin, and small.  Which we have been for 3 years thanks to Tom Crean.  We are not anymore.   We DO have depth.    We ARE flexible and versatile.  It amazes me how so many just expect the worst like....Cubs fans.  Or Purdue fans.
I’m not sold on Race, Damezi, Justin Smith.
I saw enough of Race last season to know he's a bit player with potential.   I think he'll surprise you, and he'll play 3 positions.    Damezi will be a better senior than a freshmen.   We're not counting on those 2 much, anyway.  Smith is one reason we're versatile and flexible.   He is too quick for most 4's and too big for most 3's.  He's fine...and won't be asked to do more than he can.  He's been frustrating, but the good news is if he continues to play that way, others can step in.  That hasn't been true the past 2 seasons.
I’m not sold on Brunk’s athleticism vs B1G bigs. Same for DeRon.
You think Brunk will struggle with the Big Ten when he's used to the Big East?   We don't need either of these guys for their athleticism.  We need them for their strength.   We've all seen what Davis can do, and he's a good 12-15 minute guy who's now over an injury.  And a 22 year old man.  What team can match our front court size?
Al D and Devonte are streaky shooters. Phinisee as a shooter??
With more help, they'll get better looks.  Lots of players are streaky.   Phinisee is a decent shooter.  We don't need him to be any more than a threat.  I'd bet we make 50+ more 3's than a year ago.
Can Jerome  the whole team stay healthy?
Fixed it for you
Unfortunately this is why most rate us as 9th or 10th in the B1G.
I'll bet you anything you want we don't finish there.   "Most" who?  "Experts?"  Have any of them seen this group of players play together?   Did any of them see the subtlety of our improvement late in the year?   Do any of them know the chemistry problems we had last year and DON'T have now?  I put exactly zero stock in sportswriters who play "expert" at sports.
Time for some guys to step and exceed expectations as individuals and as a team.
Whose expectations?  Yours?  The "experts'?"   I'd simply say everyone do your job and play to what you do well.  The pieces are there.  The players just have to make them fit.  They don't have to do ANYthing extraordinary.

NONE of this was aimed particularly at you, Fleek.  Just making points because I've seen almost all of this elsewhere, too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners