Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

California Thumbs Nose At NCAA

I'm fine with this rule because I think the vast majority of college athletes greatly overestimate their value. Just take a look at our basketball team. IU is one of the most historic programs, and how many of our players would land endorsement deals? They would get some local deals from businesses in the Bloomington area, but that's probably about it. They wouldn't be getting life changing money. Romeo would've been a different story last year, but Romeo is the exception. 

They think the university is making all this money because of them, but fans are really showing up because of the school. I don't show up to IU basketball games because of any certain player, I do it because of IU. I imagine most of you are the same way. 

If they go this route, then we need to do a draft like the nba.  Otherwise, better hope your school has the richest boosters willing to pony up.

Disagree. The most money isn’t going to be provided by people and companies with a unique attachment to a single program.

Adidas would have placed Romeo in an add regardless of the school he attended. He already chose his school with exposure in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

49 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well if it’s legal at least we will be able to compete. 

That's the important thing. It's not like our school is poor. We have plenty of money to sling around. Our administration just refuses to do anything even halfway in the gray area. Make it legal and we will be back competing with the big schools. 

I'm fine with this rule because I think the vast majority of college athletes greatly overestimate their value. Just take a look at our basketball team. IU is one of the most historic programs, and how many of our players would land endorsement deals? They would get some local deals from businesses in the Bloomington area, but that's probably about it. They wouldn't be getting life changing money. Romeo would've been a different story last year, but Romeo is the exception. 
They think the university is making all this money because of them, but fans are really showing up because of the school. I don't show up to IU basketball games because of any certain player, I do it because of IU. I imagine most of you are the same way. 

That’s what I’ve tried telling people. Fans of collegiate athletics are loyal to the school, not the player. Creans first 3 seasons is great proof of that.

56 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I think you're a bit delusional if you think the floodgates won't open even more to pay kids to go to specific schools.

I think you're a bit narrow minded and blind if you don't think that's not already happening.

But what do either of us know. The current system doesn't work, so this will force change. 

Fair market value. Imagine that. Boosters/companies/etc will find a balancing point for a players worth. I think over time it will normalize or continue growth if the market allows for it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

But then the idea of amateur sports is gone, even though it’s been gone for top programs for a long time.

7 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Anybody remember what a college scholarship at IU was worth per year?

Well technically the worth is whatever an IU college education is worth in the job market which thanks to the Trustees is going down every year.  

The cost I think you were asking for a 4 year education is for an out of state kid probably 100,000 to 120,000

Cost of attendance for a nonresident is $51,222 per year. It's $25,658 for residents. Schools are now allowed to give athletes up to the full cost of attendance. More than $200k over the course of 4 years for a nonresident is a pretty nice deal, imo. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Cost of attendance for a nonresident is $51,222 per year. It's $25,658 for residents. Schools are now allowed to give athletes up to the full cost of attendance. More than $200k over the course of 4 years for a nonresident is a pretty nice deal, imo. 

Holy crap people weren’t kidding that IUs costs are out of control. Didn’t think they could change that much since my time. 

Along with a place to live(average apartment rent is what for students?), food, shoes and clothing(I mean one pair is easily $100+ and they likely get what they want and Adidas clothing is no cheaper than $25 for a stupid shirt), branding and marketing(which can cost thousands upon thousands of dollars, especially with what these kids can get by going to a place like IU. They get elite training and school tutoring which is a few more thousand. If they don’t take advantage of the great deal they are already getting by being at such a big school, then that’s their problem.

33 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

For 99% of the student athlete population, I agree. 

I think there are two things that will be nice about the Cali law:

1) The 1% of the superstar athletes will be able to collect some of the millions of dollars that would otherwise be available to them

2) Some of the lesser athletes will be able to receive some income from local advertisers and businesses for their likeness which will help offset some of their inability to hold traditional college kid jobs due to their athletic requirements

7 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

For 99% of the student athlete population, I agree. 

I think there are two things that will be nice about the Cali law:

1) The 1% of the superstar athletes will be able to collect some of the millions of dollars that would otherwise be available to them

2) Some of the lesser athletes will be able to receive some income from local advertisers and businesses for their likeness which will help offset some of their inability to hold traditional college kid jobs due to their athletic requirements

I agree 100% with all of this. I'm against treating the players like employees and schools paying them salaries, so the California law is great. The scholarship system will still be in place, but players will have the opportunity to make outside money if they're desired by the market. I think it's a really good compromise. 

29 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Holy crap people weren’t kidding that IUs costs are out of control. Didn’t think they could change that much since my time. 

A lot of the cost of attendance number includes stuff like "personal expenses", "total indirect costs", and "transportation. Tuition/fees itself is a shade under $11k, about $700 more than my freshman year in 2013. They make their killing by forcing all the freshmen to live in their extremely expensive dorms with their extremely expensive meal plans.

44 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Everything in perspective.  In 1966, my tuition was $11.00 per credit hour and my room and board at Teter was just under $1,000 for the full school year.   What a bargain right?  WRONG!  That was a lot of $$ in 1966 for this kid to come up with.

Just for comparison, $11.00 per credit hour in today's money is roughly $85.00 per credit hour. The current rate is $288 for in-state and $1,048 for out of state.