Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

California Thumbs Nose At NCAA

Actually, it was more like California giving the NCAA the middle finger with legislation that is now law in California.

SACRAMENTO —  

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill Monday that would allow California athletes to earn money from the use of their names, images and likenesses, despite warnings from the National Collegiate Athletic Assn. that the measure would upend amateur sports.

Senate Bill 206 by Sen. Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley) garnered national attention, with athletes including NBA stars LeBron James and Draymond Green lauding the California effort to give college athletes a share of the windfall they help create for their universities and NCAA. The bill passed the state Legislature unanimously.

Newsom, who played baseball at Santa Clara University, said in September that having been a student athlete, he had “very strong opinions on this subject.”

The bill would prohibit the NCAA from barring a university from competition if its athletes are compensated for the use of their name, image or likeness beginning in 2023. NCAA rules strictly prohibit athletes from profiting in any way from their sports.

While the bill would allow athletes to sign endorsement deals with major companies, it would also open up smaller opportunities that were previously prohibited, such as paid youth coaching positions. SB 206 would still forbid schools from directly paying athletes.

The NCAA sent a letter to Newsom in September while lawmakers were mulling the bill, calling it “unconstitutional” and a “scheme.” The letter was signed by NCAA President Mark Emmert and 21 other members of the organization’s board of governors. The NCAA urged California to hold off on the bill to give a working group formed earlier this year more time to examine the name, image and likeness issue.

“Right now, nearly half a million student-athletes in all 50 states compete under the same rules,” the letter read. “This bill would remove that essential element of fairness and equal treatment that forms the bedrock of college sports.”

Skinner disputed assertions in the NCAA’s letter, saying the sports association has resorted to threats because legal scholars have concluded her bill is on solid ground. Skinner said she hoped other states would pass similar legislation. Lawmakers in a handful of states have introduced bills challenging the NCAA’s rules related to athlete pay.

In September, a New York state senator introduced legislation similar to Skinner’s bill with the added provision that college athletic departments share 15% of annual revenue from ticket sales with student athletes.

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I could see this, along with the NCAA cowering in the wake of the FBI scandal, destroying the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We can only hope!

If New York, Illinois and possibly Mass follow suit this will kill the NCAA as we know it. They can’t afford to kick out effectively 5 of the top 6 combined statistical areas in the US. 

Not to mention the rest of those states. 

If those states follow California Indiana better hurry up or IU will never be able to compete between shady payments and allowed sponsorship. 

If New York, Illinois and possibly Mass follow suit this will kill the NCAA as we know it. They can’t afford to kick out effectively 5 of the top 6 combined statistical areas in the US. 
If those states follow California Indiana better hurry up or IU will never be able to compete between shady payments and allowed sponsorship. 

With the NCAA being in Indy and the “state” losing money I don’t see it. We are too conservative for that type of move. Only liberal states are currently thinking about this. Not to make this political or anything but that’s what we are looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

With the NCAA being in Indy and the “state” losing money I don’t see it. We are too conservative for that type of move. Only liberal states are currently thinking about this. Not to make this political or anything but that’s what we are looking at.

If those 3 states follow thru the. I imagine it would open a floodgate of bi partisan cooperation. 

You think Kentucky is going to sit back while they not only get outbid but it’s done legally. Heck no. 

North Carolina and Duke will probably write the legislation for NC. 

If those 3 states follow thru the. I imagine it would open a floodgate of bi partisan cooperation. 
You think Kentucky is going to sit back while they not only get outbid but it’s done legally. Heck no. 
North Carolina and Duke will probably write the legislation for NC. 

Kentucky is an odd case. They are going to pay no matter what. Same as Duke and UNC. Between the two I see NC making the change. I see the conservative states seeing how everything plays out within the appeal courts and also what the NCAA does in response. If they roll over? Yeah I see this changing everything. I don’t see them rolling over because of the billions they receive in revenue and they would have to fold if this happens across the board.

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The NCAA likely wouldn't legally be able to kick them out anyway because of antitrust laws. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The NCAA likely wouldn't legally be able to kick them out anyway because of antitrust laws. 

You effectively kick them out if you rule all their athletes ineligible. 

If a few more states follow suit those states will have a huge advantage over others and the NCAA will be powerless to stop it. 

The arms race in college athletics will go away from facilities and legislation for a few years. 

The conservative states will spin it differently but they will still pass it. I bet Indiana will spin it as letting kids pursue their entrepreneurial spirits or some BS like that. 

We need our lawyer members to chime in but wouldn't one of the first steps from the NCAA be to find a friendly judge and obtain an injunction against California's new law pending an appeal and drag it out in the courts for a couple of years?

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We need our lawyer members to chime in but wouldn't one of the first steps from the NCAA be to find a friendly judge and obtain an injunction against California's new law pending an appeal and drag it out in the courts for a couple of years?

Law isn’t set to take effect until 2023. I bet because they new that was coming. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Translation: Our national level sitting on our hands doing nothing is better because it’s national. 

Or.. We've been making a crap-ton of money off of this for so long, we don't want anything to change. We are confused as to how we can continue to do nothing and still make money off of these student athletes.

Just now, bigrod said:

Or.. We've been making a crap-ton of money off of this for so long, we don't want anything to change. We are confused as to how we can continue to do nothing and still make money off of these student athletes.

The California law does nothing to interfere with the NCAA making money. 

Personally? They are adults. They are aloud to make a living. The NCAA is benefitting having them on tv. Why can’t they make money on tv? Will that make the NCAA more of a cesspool? Yep. But that’s not my problem. The athletes are currently getting screwed versus what their value truly is. There are a lot that are not. That’s the cost of doing business for schools imo. At least put it out there what it costs to make a successful team. Then determine where you are on that spectrum. Then the shoe companies can put their cards on the table as well. We as a University would be more successful athletically if that were the case.

So the NCAA can’t have a rule saying players can’t be paid? Weed is legal in California yet you can’t smoke it if you’re in athlete in the NCAA or even in the NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL. And even if the NCAA does make changes, how much will change? If they start paying players, how much do the players get paid? Is it capped and regulated by the NCAA? Is it the same across all D1 schools? If you pay the men’s team do you have to pay the women’s team? Or do a bunch of schools leave the NCAA to go create a new league that still caps and regulates how much recruits are paid to keep an even playing field?