Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Fire or ‘Way to Go!’ Tom Allen?

Recommended Posts

I put the chances of Tom Allen going to FSU at less than 0 percent. For those of you worried about losing Allen (I'm not in that group), unless FSU hires a Clemson coordinator (both have been mentioned high on candidate lists), I might keep an eye on the school that loses its coach to the 'Noles. (For instance, if FSU hires Mark Stoops, I wouldn't be surprised if Kentucky came calling on Allen.)

As for me, I'm remaining Switzerland on Allen (neutral). I'm neither sold on him nor did I want him fired. My main beef with the hiring of Allen remains that we didn't do a search after Wilson was forced out. Regardless, I'm not opposed to giving Allen an extension and a raise -- as long as we don't go overboard as we did with Crean. As of now, I believe Allen's contract expires in three seasons. Unless a coach is failing miserably (clearly Allen is not), I think he needs to always have at least four years on his deal -- to help with recruiting. So I'm all for extending him by a year or two and giving him a nice raise. 

*** BTW, I thought the hiring of Allen was strange, but it pales in comparison to what Illinois did a few years ago. They canned their head coach (Beckham) for alleged mistreatment of players -- sound familiar? -- early in the season. Then with one game left, they gave the interim coach (Cubit) the full-time gig. But they gave him a two-year contract. Who the hell gives a college coach a two-year contract? And in March, they hired a new AD, who on his very first day, fired Cubit. So he was officially the full-time coach for all of one game. Very bizarre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I put the chances of Tom Allen going to FSU at less than 0 percent. For those of you worried about losing Allen (I'm not in that group), unless FSU hires a Clemson coordinator (both have been mentioned high on candidate lists), I might keep an eye on the school that loses its coach to the 'Noles. (For instance, if FSU hires Mark Stoops, I wouldn't be surprised if Kentucky came calling on Allen.)

As for me, I'm remaining Switzerland on Allen (neutral). I'm neither sold on him nor did I want him fired. My main beef with the hiring of Allen remains that we didn't do a search after Wilson was forced out. Regardless, I'm not opposed to giving Allen an extension and a raise -- as long as we don't go overboard as we did with Crean. As of now, I believe Allen's contract expires in three seasons. Unless a coach is failing miserably (clearly Allen is not), I think he needs to always have at least four years on his deal -- to help with recruiting. So I'm all for extending him by a year or two and giving him a nice raise. 

*** BTW, I thought the hiring of Allen was strange, but it pales in comparison to what Illinois did a few years ago. They canned their head coach (Beckham) for alleged mistreatment of players -- sound familiar? -- early in the season. Then with one game left, they gave the interim coach (Cubit) the full-time gig. But they gave him a two-year contract. Who the hell gives a college coach a two-year contract? And in March, they hired a new AD, who on his very first day, fired Cubit. So he was officially the full-time coach for all of one game. Very bizarre. 

Illinois has improved a lot this season, but I'm still not sold that Lovie knows what he's doing. The Big Ten is much more enjoyable when Illinois is a dumpster fire along with Purdue and Northwestern being terrible. Now IU just needs to slip ahead of Mich State in the pecking order and we'll be really getting somewhere! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Illinois has improved a lot this season, but I'm still not sold that Lovie knows what he's doing. The Big Ten is much more enjoyable when Illinois is a dumpster fire along with Purdue and Northwestern being terrible. Now IU just needs to slip ahead of Mich State in the pecking order and we'll be really getting somewhere! 
 

Karma has to come back and bite MSU in the asp right? I’m fine with everyone in the B1G West being terrible just because of how good the B1G East can be. Definitely the 2nd toughest division in college football behind the SEC West.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:


Karma has to come back and bite MSU in the asp right? I’m fine with everyone in the B1G West being terrible just because of how good the B1G East can be. Definitely the 2nd toughest division in college football behind the SEC West.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Word is up north....that Mark is possibly done after this season. It’s been out there in the weeds for a couple weeks now....with legal troubles and performance issues....fans are starting to foam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Word is up north....that Mark is possibly done after this season. It’s been out there in the weeds for a couple weeks now....with legal troubles and performance issues....fans are starting to foam. 

Crazy how legal trouble gets buried when you’re winning but quickly rises to the surface when the winning slows down.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:


Crazy how legal trouble gets buried when you’re winning but quickly rises to the surface when the winning slows down.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep. Exhibit A? Tom Izzo 

Seems the MSU b-ball players all major in Sexual Assault and other than a few awkward questions nothing has come of it. 

Getting this thread back on track- Way to go Tommy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And we're now 7-2, so in keeping with the purpose of the thread...

WAY TO GO TOM ALLEN!!!!

 

A legit outside chance of 10 wins. Never before. Crazy how much vitriol there is during a season 9 wins is very reasonable and 10 wins has some percentage points of possibility. Can’t believe I even typed that. Weird

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

A legit outside chance of 10 wins. Never before. Crazy how much vitriol there is during a season 9 wins is very reasonable and 10 wins has some percentage points of possibility. Can’t believe I even typed that. Weird

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Sorry, but there's no chance of 10 wins. A slight chance at 9 wins and a good chance  at 8. 

IMO, the chances to win we have in our final three games ... 

At Penn State ... 8 percent
vs. Michigan ... 33 percent
at PU ... 65 percent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And we're now 7-2, so in keeping with the purpose of the thread...

WAY TO GO TOM ALLEN!!!!

 

I'm still not a huge Tom Allen fan (because IMO, we really don't have any quality wins this season), but I will say I think he needs a contract extension and a raise -- just for getting to 7  wins with three games to play. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Sorry, but there's no chance of 10 wins. A slight chance at 9 wins and a good chance  at 8. 

IMO, the chances to win we have in our final three games ... 

At Penn State ... 8 percent
vs. Michigan ... 33 percent
at PU ... 65 percent

Think he’s counting a bowl game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LamarCheeks said:

Ah yes. That's right! ... How can I forget that we're going to a bowl game! ... I still think 10 wins will be very difficult to reach, however. 

Yep for sure. To me the goal is 9. Expectation is 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sorry, but there's no chance of 10 wins. A slight chance at 9 wins and a good chance  at 8. 

IMO, the chances to win we have in our final three games ... 

At Penn State ... 8 percent
vs. Michigan ... 33 percent
at PU ... 65 percent

Think he’s counting a bowl game 

Yes I was counting a bowl game. Very outside shot of 10. 9 would be fantastic. 8 is beyond reasonable. It really is sad when you look at how many 8 and 9 win teams we have had in our programs history.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My odds

PSU 5%
Michigan 20%
Purdue 60%. If home I’d say 80.

Win the Purdue game and it’s a wonderful season. Lose 3 straight, still a decent season by Indiana standards.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Three straight will give many reason to get the pitchforks back out, but I don’t think there is any take away from the season other than positives. A coach who is growing into the role, a much improved offense and defense, two excellent QBs, a stud RB, and a core of freshman and sophomores who are bought in and rewarded with a bowl.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three straight will give many reason to get the pitchforks back out, but I don’t think there is any take away from the season other than positives. A coach who is growing into the role, a much improved offense and defense, two excellent QBs, a stud RB, and a core of freshman and sophomores who are bought in and rewarded with a bowl.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. No pitchforks from me. Winning at Purdue always carries a lot of weight though.


Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. No pitchforks from me. Winning at Purdue always carries a lot of weight though.


Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I’ll be plenty bummed if we don’t beat Purdue, especially since we should. I also just recognize that there’s a very real chance they’ll be playing for win 6 at home against us. Would be amazing if that is the case and we shut them down!


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×