Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Fire or ‘Way to Go!’ Tom Allen?

I am not advocating a position on Allen but does anyone think his obsession with red shirts has hurt us with a few guys?  

First example is obviously Penix. He was so content on getting him a red shirted last year he didn't play clearly the better QB. What could be ironic here is if Penix stays healthy he could be in pro's after his junior year and this red shirt was never needed.

Example two is Matthew Bedford the new offensive tackle. He is clearly our best lineman already even as a freshman replacing Cronk and line is a lot better recently. One wonders if the O-line would of been stronger from beginning if Bedford had taken one of the tackle positions opposite Cronk to start the year rather than Caleb Jones. 

Example three is Tiwan Mullen. While he was never red shirted he is clearly our best corner already and Allen has been working him in slower then he should over the year in favor of veterans.  

I can't help but wonder how many other better freshman are on bench because of Allen's obsession with red shirts and working freshman in slowly. Obviously if this is case we will see these guys next couple years and it will be fine. However, one cannot help but wonder if Allen had played some of his top freshman already rather then work them in slowly if we may have been to a couple bowl games given the the end of the Wilson era having inferior talent to the last couple recruiting classes.     

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

I am not advocating a position on Allen but does anyone think his obsession with red shirts has hurt us with a few guys?  

First example is obviously Penix. He was so content on getting him a red shirted last year he didn't play clearly the better QB. What could be ironic here is if Penix stays healthy he could be in pro's after his junior year and this red shirt was never needed.

Example two is Matthew Bedford the new offensive tackle. He is clearly our best lineman already even as a freshman replacing Cronk and line is a lot better recently. One wonders if the O-line would of been stronger from beginning if Bedford had taken one of the tackle positions opposite Cronk to start the year rather than Caleb Jones. 

Example three is Tiwan Mullen. While he was never red shirted he is clearly our best corner already and Allen has been working him in slower then he should over the year in favor of veterans.  

I can't help but wonder how many other better freshman are on bench because of Allen's obsession with red shirts and working freshman in slowly. Obviously if this is case we will see these guys next couple years and it will be fine. However, one cannot help but wonder if Allen had played some of his top freshman already rather then work them in slowly if we may have been to a couple bowl games given the the end of the Wilson era having inferior talent to the last couple recruiting classes.     

What obsession? Everyone has to evaluate how to use red shirts? You have an idea of who will use one. Who is not and who is in between 4 games less or more. Not just allen, especially when you aren’t getting blue blood recruits. You ease most freshmen unless they are leaps and bounds above other players On the roster see Stevie Scott after last year and after that first game....the game speed is completely different not to mention majority of your freshman are getting to campus later unless they are a early enrollee. More schools have switched to a year round schedule which means they are enrolling later in the summer and getting to campus mid June. They need to learn the playbook and actually practice what is being taught. Allen has acknowledged this point on a lot of freshmen when asked about their playing time. He’s also said if you’re good enough and consistent enough you will play and not red shirt. Not to mention with the new red shirt rule, you can play them early against trash opponents which we have done with several this year....or you save them and get them in against bigger opponents for example James Miller against Michigan and he was able to still red shirt while getting in a valuable game and still having 5 years to develop instead of just 4 . Jones has had a stellar year at right tackle. They also weren’t going to throw Bedford in to the blindside tackle position opposite to cronk. Everyone’s known the potential in Bedford. He’s going to be a star. As for our DLine frosh. Sio has been amazing at clogging holes (won’t redshirt). The other DLine (I won’t count DMAC in here because he’s played juco at least) are adjusting to new positions, and aren’t strong enough or physical enough to get meaningful time. DK bonnohomme will not redshirt he’s been on every special teams coverage play since day one. He’s just not ready and buried on depth at LB. that role is still coming to him. Same to the athletic Cam Williams from what’s been said is that it’s a learning curve still for him and many other players that will redshirt. To Tiwan, he’s started the last 2 games at CB. So he’s no longer getting worked in. You don’t know how he’s going to play really against larger WRs. Most practices you aren’t going full boar. He showed up and showed out in MSU and he’s taken the starting role. 

the 2018 class had 28 commits 2 are not longer on the team. out of that 28. You had 10 kids play and not red shirt .redshirted kids you saw them play, but why waste a year of eligibility and development when they are buried on depth chart, most of those kids were OL, DL and WRs. Two dline guys were adjusting from DE to interior techniques...which is a major change in roles, OL kids just weren’t ready to play. Madison Norris has all the talent and speed in the world but until he adds weight and isn’t a 195-200lb DE he won’t get meaningful minutes his FR year so take time let him develop and focus on getting bigger. From that class the talented players that didn’t need redshirted were

Reese Taylor

Cam Jones 

James Head

Stevie Scott

Jamar Johnson

Jaylin Williams

Devon Matthews 

Micah McFadden 

Matt Bjorson 

Ronnie Walker 

from this 2019 class 22 sign schollies 

you have 7 right now that look like will not red shirt and they are 

Mullen 

Ellis

James

DK

Sio

Bedford

Wracher (talented long snapper)

you have 3 DL who are transitioned into new positions from the class.... 2 DBs buried on depth yet they have talent and speed, but the college transition is coming slower to them. A WR who showed up late to camp who played QB in hs. 

it’s not an obsession with saving redshirts it’s a smart thing to do when you don’t need to play everyone you sign and are creating depth. If they are leaps and bounds they will start ASAP if they have potential and are still adjusting to game speed you ease them in. I’ve never once really heard allen say we plan on redshirting everyone if we can....he’s said quite the opposite....if you’re good enough, play consistent enough, and know what you’re doing you will play. 

3 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

That's probably cuz there's a good feeling that Nebraska's starting QB is going to play though not official yet.

I was thinking the same.

2 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Money pouring in for Nebraska because of “who” they are playing. Most of the country thinks Indiana is a joke in CFB. For good reason.

Maybe.  Hopefully our beloved Hoosiers can make some noise.  

As for the redshirt situation, I could be wrong here but I thought Penix got injured last year before hitting that 4 game threshold thus making it an easy decision to redshirt him?

And prior to season start I recall him always harping on competing for a spot and how that was a good thing within the program.  So I'm not so sure he's redshirting folks just to work them in slowly.

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

I was thinking the same.

Maybe.  Hopefully our beloved Hoosiers can make some noise.  

As for the redshirt situation, I could be wrong here but I thought Penix got injured last year before hitting that 4 game threshold thus making it an easy decision to redshirt him?

And prior to season start I recall him always harping on competing for a spot and how that was a good thing within the program.  So I'm not so sure he's redshirting folks just to work them in slowly.

Correct on Penix. And word is Penix was going to keep playing/take starting role after that penn state game as coaches were somewhat ready to make a change. But then the good ol ACL. Correct on competing. If you’re good enough and consistent and showing it at practice it’s your spot to lose. I get slowly getting Tiwan in there he’s maybe 170 dripping wet. Then he proved himself when it mattered and he’s now starting weekly as of late. Same with Williams. Two underclassmen taking starting roles from upperclassmen becuase they’ve been consistent. 

9 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Actually 15-19, FWIW.

I enjoyed watching his finesse team get manhandled in the rain today.

Oh dang your right. Must have misread/misunderstood something. 

Still 4 games under .500 in the significantly easier division