Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Fire or ‘Way to Go!’ Tom Allen?

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Oh shove it. We both know you didn't come in here to "say something that shows support of the team", you came in to be a dbag. Sounds like you had a few too many at your tailgate today. 

Remember when I told you when the basketball team succeeds and the football team goes to a bowl game this year (and Tom Allen finishes the season with the highest winning % of any coach in IU history over his tenure), you'd have nothing to b*tch about and you'd melt down?    I would imagine many of your posts would begin with something like "oh, shove it."   I can see it coming a mile away.

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Remember when I told you when the basketball team succeeds and the football team goes to a bowl game this year (and Tom Allen finishes the season with the highest winning % of any coach in IU history over his tenure), you'd have nothing to b*tch about and you'd melt down?    I would imagine many of your posts would begin with something like "oh, shove it."   I can see it coming a mile away.

Wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch, old friend. IU was 4-1 at one point last year and finished the season 5-7. 

And how many times do I have to tell you I like Archie and think he's going to succeed before you get it through your head? You constantly bring up the basketball team as some kind of trump card you think you hold when I've already told you multiple times that I agree with you. Good lord. 

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Just like close loses to ranked MSU in East Lansing shouldn’t be the catalyst for firing discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Michigan State is overrated and not even ranked anymore. We had them on the ropes and Allen showed an inability to make winning decisions/calls. Whether that's a call for firing or not is another discussion but let's not hype up Sparty as an OSU/Wiscy type of team. That should have been a W for us.

18 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Michigan State is overrated and not even ranked anymore. We had them on the ropes and Allen showed an inability to make winning decisions/calls. Whether that's a call for firing or not is another discussion but let's not hype up Sparty as an OSU/Wiscy type of team. That should have been a W for us.

This is why some of us were disappointed with the MSU game.  It's not that we lost, it's that we had a chance and then ducked into our shell.

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

This is why some of us were disappointed with the MSU game.  It's not that we lost, it's that we had a chance and then ducked into our shell.

No one acknowledges that though. They just think we're mad we lost. 

And that close loss looks a lot less impressive now than it did two weeks ago. MSU got handled by OSU last week and blown out by Wisconsin today. 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

This program has had enough challenges preventing any "breakthrough" without our own coaching staff sabotaging us. It more specifically irritates me because of how Tom Allen acts and carries himself. As if he has no fear, that he would run through a brick wall to see this team achieve a breakthrough, but then when all he has to do is step on a team's throat, he suddenly gets afraid to lose and goes conservative. What kind of message does that send to your team? To future recruits?

Don't get me wrong, we're 4-2 and have a good chance to still make a bowl game this year. We have beaten the lower rated teams we were supposed to beat. All of that is an improvement from years past. But 5-1 is better than 4-2 and that's where we should be. This program can't afford to give away wins like that. 

I've obviously had time to settle down after the Sparty game and there's no doubt Allen is improving this program slowly but surely. But that display was just unacceptable and a slap in the face to me as a fan. 

End rant.

22 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

This program has had enough challenges preventing any "breakthrough" without our own coaching staff sabotaging us. It more specifically irritates me because of how Tom Allen acts and carries himself. As if he has no fear, that he would run through a brick wall to see this team achieve a breakthrough, but then when all he has to do is step on a team's throat, he suddenly gets afraid to lose and goes conservative. What kind of message does that send to your team? To future recruits?

Don't get me wrong, we're 4-2 and have a good chance to still make a bowl game this year. We have beaten the lower rated teams we were supposed to beat. All of that is an improvement from years past. But 5-1 is better than 4-2 and that's where we should be. This program can't afford to give away wins like that. 

I've obviously had time to settle down after the Sparty game and there's no doubt Allen is improving this program slowly but surely. But that display was just unacceptable and a slap in the face to me as a fan. 

End rant.

This. Rutgers might be the worst team on the schedule. Maryland and Purdue stink. Good chance we go 6-6 and not beat anyone of substance.

1 hour ago, Crimson and Cream said:

End rant.

I don't like losing in general, but depending on situation I can handle it better than other times.  Be aggressive; maybe it backfires and we lose anyway, it sucks but sometimes the dice go that way.  Go full turtle mode and run the offensive version of the prevent defense then 'well we were supposed to lose' is no consolation.

Even after that game I said they could, and hopefully do, use it as a learning experience; I didn't say fire him, but I absolutely think it's more than fair to have reservations especially since we were in a good spot to make a bowl game last year too and saw how that turned out.

20 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Just remember it could be worse. Rutgers is suppose to be a football school.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/10/rutgers-hits-rock-bottom-why-scarlet-knights-humiliating-loss-to-indiana-is-programs-lowest-moment-yet.html

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Rock bottom is 2 weeks from now when they lose to a school whose head coach works from a hospital bed.

image.jpeg.a4d963069d00a5a9f9975d17540d84b6.jpeg

24 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Losing in Bloomington is their lowest moment?  Their home is in New Jersey, I'm sure they'll have worse moments; like leaving Bloomington to go back to New Jersey.

Best post of the day!

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Just remember it could be worse. Rutgers is suppose to be a football school.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/10/rutgers-hits-rock-bottom-why-scarlet-knights-humiliating-loss-to-indiana-is-programs-lowest-moment-yet.html

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

That's two schools for whom we've created the darkest/lowest moment in football history. ... When we beat Ohio State in 1987,- and we didn't just beat them, we whipped their a$$es -- in Columbus, no less -- the then-coach of the Nuts called it the darkest day in the history of Ohio State football! 

Good quarterback invariably = bowl game appearances.

That’s true at IU or pretty much any power 5 school this side of Rutgers.

Wilson looked quite good with Suds.

Since then with Zander, Lagow, and Ramsey there’s been sadness.

Now, with four years of Penix, we’re looking at four straight bowl appearances.

So there.

1) not hyping them up as an OSU type team 2) I get it it was a frustrating loss 3) still no reason to.m instigate the decision to fire the coach

Louisville was 2-10 last year. And they just beat the #19 team on the road(albeit an overrated team.) Hung 62 on them. Scott Satterfield will coach that team to a bowl in year 1. Just like how Chris Mack had success in year 1. At a place like freaking Louisville, they got through a ton of turmoil and bounce back in 1 year. At IU, it’s always a 4 year rebuilding plan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What do you mean at a place like Louisville? They’ve been in a bowl every year since 2010 other than last year. They won 8 or 9 games every year since joining the ACC except last year.

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Good quarterback invariably = bowl game appearances.

That’s true at IU or pretty much any power 5 school this side of Rutgers.

Wilson looked quite good with Suds.

Since then with Zander, Lagow, and Ramsey there’s been sadness.

Now, with four years of Penix, we’re looking at four straight bowl appearances.

So there.

If Penix continues to produce, I'm not sure we get four years with him...good problem to have.

9 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

1) not hyping them up as an OSU type team 2) I get it it was a frustrating loss 3) still no reason to.m instigate the decision to fire the coach

Yeah I've settled down from my initial stance of firing him but I still need to see how this season ends to solidify my opinion of him. I didn't like that he showed fear and panic when in the driver's seat but like others have said let's hope that was a learning experience and it doesn't happen again.