Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Fire or ‘Way to Go!’ Tom Allen?

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I said in the OP that it's not about losing the game. It's about a consistent pattern he has displayed over the past 2.5 seasons. We'll be neck and neck with a ranked team and then he'll throw out everything that has been working to go ultra conservative. It's like Groundhog Day. At a certain point enough is enough. It shouldn't be unreasonable to expect the coaching staff to coach to win the game. And this is before we get into all of the little mistakes he makes throughout the course of the game like having to waste a timeout because he doesn't have the offense ready to go on the first play after a kickoff. 

It won't matter what we do until we have a competent AD that can make hiring decisions. Do you have any confidence whatsoever that he would find a good coach if Allen were dismissed after this year? I sure as heck don't. 

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If you have a problem with people expressing opinions different from yours then perhaps a message board isn't the right place for you.  Nothing in your 5 paragraph rant addresses anything that I said in my first post. You consistently ignore what people say so that you can get up on your soapbox and tell us all why you're so much smarter than the rest of us.  You come into a thread titled "Fire Tom Allen" to complain about people talking about... wanting to fire Tom Allen. It's comical. Get off your high horse, Old Friend. 

Every time someone writes something OF doesn't like or agree with, they're just bitching for the sake of bitching. It's almost as if in his eyes, nobody's entitled to have an opinion that differs from his. Then he writes about he knows more about IU athletics than anybody here. Then he writes about he's a better IU fan than anybody else. Then he writes about how he knows Dan Dakich, and he's a really, really terrific guy -- and if you don't agree, then screw you. Then he writes about how he plays golf with IU bigwigs. Then he writes about how he was probably angrier than anybody on this board about our basketball mediocrity over the past 10 years. Why is he the only one allowed to have an opinion, while everybody else who expresses one -- especially one that differs from his -- is bitching? It's getting rather boring and predictable.  

14 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

So basically....you have no solution and all you want to do is b*tch.   That about right?

You're the guy who spent 2 years telling me how great Peyton Ramsey is and that HE should be the starter, so pardon me if I don't necessarily jump when you ask me to.   Again....I think I'll use my own brain.  

If all you do is b*tch with no solution, perhaps you should worry about something other than what other people think of your incessant whining.    It's not a high horse at all....and I'm not ignoring what you say.   I'm disagreeing with it and you've yet to even come up with a modicum of rational reason why I shouldn't.   How much logic and reason do you need?    Apparently a whole lot.

We don't need another "fire so and so" thread.  It's poison.  Constant barrages of negativity are tiring.  No message board needs that, so perhaps you need to take some of your own advice?   Indiana doesn't need to fire anyone.  Using that as a primary first step when you have a problem is as elementary as it gets.   Any 8 year old can make that statement.  It takes a little more than an 8 year old brain to think through the realities of a situation, see what's really happening at a University or anywhere else, and extrapolate an opinion beyond the two old men in the balcony on The Muppet Show.  

Giving you the reality of a situation and explaining the facts of the bigger picture is a "high horse?"   That's not comical.  That's you living in a bubble of your own reality completely separate from......reality.

Here you do it again. Completely lie about what I've said in the past because you can't win on the merits. Congrats on being one of the most unpleasant people I've ever come across on the Internet. 

I have said, over and over again, that Ramsey is a very average quarterback. Apparently to you that's me "telling you how great Peyton Ramsey is". I have no interest in continuing this back and forth with you because you have no interest in a legitimate conversation. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else says to you, you completely ignore it so you can "win" against arguments no one has made. You just want to beat your chest, talk down to people, and straight up lie about their past statements. Have a blessed day. 

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Every time someone writes something OF doesn't like or agree with, they're just bitching for the sake of bitching. It's almost as if in his eyes, nobody's entitled to have an opinion that differs from his. Then he writes about he knows more about IU athletics than anybody here. Then he writes about he's a better IU fan than anybody else. Then he writes about how he knows Dan Dakich, and he's a really, really terrific guy -- and if you don't agree, then screw you. Then he writes about how he plays golf with IU bigwigs. Then he writes about how he was probably angrier than anybody on this board about our basketball mediocrity over the past 10 years. Why is he the only one allowed to have an opinion, while everybody else who expresses one -- especially one that differs from his -- is bitching? It's getting rather boring and predictable.  

What's funny is OF's guy Dakich doesn't think Tom Allen is the answer either. Guess Dakich is just whining for the sake of whining too. 

I truly wonder what happens if we earn a bowl bid this season. I hate the fact that we missed going bowling the last two seasons by losing to purdoodoo. However, 5-6 in consecutive seasons to have a shot at a bowl is solid at IU. We just need to get over that hump. (Playing bad teams helps that cause too)

I get being pissed at some bad play calls and going conservative but I thought there were some good adjustments made yesterday too. I don’t see too many people talking about them on here though. That seems to lend credence to the itch to just *****.

Why do people have to jump on a side and defend it like they’re life depends on it? Is your pride hurt that much that you can’t admit when you’re wrong? Goodness people.

Tom Allen will never be confused with Nick Saban just the same as IU isn’t and won’t be in Alabama’s stratosphere. If we can consistently compete with that middle tier in the conference while winning a few I’ll be an extremely happy fan. If we can get to a bowl game every few years I’d be stupid happy. Those things are asking a lot for an historically bad football program.

I’m not saying we can’t elevate the program in the future but let’s keep it in context here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I definitely think we are on the rise compared to what we are accustomed to seeing over the years. My biggest concern is his feel for critical situations. Yesterday there were 3 of them that all went against us. Two involved running 3 straight times in the mouth of their defense when we had momentum moving the ball on previous possessions. The last was clock management at the end.

We get it.  There are a few of you who want to fire Tom Allen.  Got it.  We all know what you think the problems are.  People who do nothing but point out problems over and over are just b*tching.
What are your solutions?  "Throw money at it" and "fire him" are 40,000' lazy, elementary solutions.  You're talking about a problem that's existed within Indiana football for 100 years.   I don't want to hear "hire a big name," because no big name is coming here until divisions are re-aligned.  "Throw money" at who?   At what?   Are YOU donating money earmarked for football?   You guys that whine about changing the way the offense played....do you realize the defense adjusted yesterday?  How dumb do you think DeAntonio is?  "Hey., IU has been killing us with the short passes...let's just let them keep doing that!"    My God...how ignorant are you if you believe that?   What football team can you name that's an underdog in a close game against good coaches which is allowed to succeed at the same game plan / scheme for 60 minutes??
Grow up and stop whining.  Your complaints have been noted time and time and time and time and time again.  The problem?  Some of you whined we didn't hire Jeff Brohm.  How we lookin' on that front?    Some of you comically claim Indiana football has regressed.  Even the most ignorant women who rarely watch football can see that's BS.   You're coming up with new problems every time one of your b*tches proves unfounded.  So...let's stop with the b*tches and come up with solutions and spare us all the whining.  No...that's wrong.   I can ignore your whining....do it for YOURSELVES.   You're going to give yourselves ulcers.
Yep.  Way too many mistakes at critical times.  Yes.  Penalties killed us, but they almost killed THEM, too.  Michigan State is a ranked opponent.  They're a good football team.  Indiana is at least even with them and one of the best 35-40 teams in the country.   I don't know what your expectations are, but mine are....about there right now.  We are very limited by our division.  That's a reality you will either accept, or this conversation will be had in 2063.
So okay....."fire Tom Allen."  Hell, fire everyone who doesn't meet your standards.   Fire YOU if you have a bad day at work tomorrow or fail to impress people at your office who don't matter.  The head of the mail room doesn't like it because your stamps are always crooked.  FIRE HIM!!!    What are your legitimate and reasonable solutions?   Good Lord, stop whining.

How about hiring good staff? The DC is obviously not good enough. The secondary coach definitely isn’t good enough. The defensive line coach is definitely not good enough. The offensive line coach isn’t good enough. Even our WR’s need to be better and that’s about our strongest area.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree with Stu - program on the rise. These recruiting classes have added so much talent. Excited to see where we are with an upperclassmen Penix and some of these young guys developed.

Also agree that Tom Allen has not been impressive to date. We went the inexperienced route and he clearly has lots of learning to do as a head coach.

However, I keep him around for the recruiting while he learns, because the program certainly has not taken a step backwards under him.

8 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What's funny is OF's guy Dakich doesn't think Tom Allen is the answer either. Guess Dakich is just whining for the sake of whining too. 

OF doesn't necessarily think Allen is the answer either, but you can run with that narrative if you'd like to; unsubstantiated as it may be.   I've only argued against the comments that we've regressed under him (we have not) and that Glass should be fired for having hired him (he should not).   

You still haven't answered my questions.   I'm seriously asking you to debate. Not simply state your opinion, which I find unfounded; but defend your comments with something other than numbers.   I don't at all disagree with the numbers, but "throw money at it" or "fire him" are elementary solutions.  Dig beyond the loose dirt and give me your solutions.

Or....just keep on with the same old simpleton stuff and pretend I think Allen is the answer.  That's definitely easier.

8 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Here you do it again. Completely lie about what I've said in the past because you can't win on the merits. Congrats on being one of the most unpleasant people I've ever come across on the Internet. 

I have said, over and over again, that Ramsey is a very average quarterback. Apparently to you that's me "telling you how great Peyton Ramsey is". I have no interest in continuing this back and forth with you because you have no interest in a legitimate conversation. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else says to you, you completely ignore it so you can "win" against arguments no one has made. You just want to beat your chest, talk down to people, and straight up lie about their past statements. Have a blessed day. 

Dude, you're buried on merit already.  You haven't even touched "merit."   But tell you what....   You tell me where my arguments are off, and I'll give you as much "merit" as you want.   What is YOUR merit?  And you supported Ramsey over Penix or anyone else....you don't have to deny that.  I know.

I'm only unpleasant because I'm not as negative as you consistently are and choose not to wallow it.  I have challenged you (see above), and some people don't like to be challenged.  They find it "unpleasant."   You want people fired based on your own rationale....but I'm unpleasant because I defend those people based on a bigger picture?   The challenge remains.  Give me solutions.  And don't go backward because you can't change it.  You also can't reasonably tell me football has regressed or basketball is headed the wrong direction because it's not accurate, despite what you and 2-3 others think.  

Starting right now....what do you think IU should do?   

Okay, this is for Hoosierfan 2017.  Offering you an olive branch.   I will happily outline every argument I have.  I've not intentionally talked down to YOU, but I find some of your arguments without merit, and when I've asked you to substantiate them, you haven't.   But....I get why you haven't.  So....I'll simply offer this, for no other reason than it's a similar point to the one I've made but about a completely unrelated team.  Change the number to 100 and THIS is one reason I don't think it's as simple as "fire the coach!"

9 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

God I love this thread...

but for those interested, IU up to 29 in the sp+ ranking. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27727611/sp+-rankings-week-5-ou-ohio-state-keep-climbing

Appreciate your sharing.  Substantiates several things I've said, including teams in the Big Ten East (4 ahead of IU) vs. West (2 ahead of IU), and the fact that we're overall a pretty good team.   There are many better, and we play 4 of them.  We'll see how we do against those below us.  Then we can talk about what needs to happen in the future with more logic.

3 hours ago, Iugradman said:

At the end of the day, Tom Allen has a 4-16 record against Big Ten opponents and those four wins have come against bottom dwellers Illinois, Rutgers, and Maryland. He has never won a game when not favored. He crapped the bed twice against Purdue. That is terrible. 

IU football until he proves different

Yes. I said I wanted to see him against legitimate competition, we did, so now we can move forward. 

Moving forward by starting a fire the coach thread. Unreal haha...

I’ll wait for BC’s admission that Penix is by far and away the better QB and then we can move on.

And yes, I will drive this into the ground and have no limits to my pettiness on this point.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app