Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Fire or ‘Way to Go!’ Tom Allen?

Mods, feel free to delete, but I think it's time for this.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. For 3 straight years now we've seen our coaching staff play not to lose in close 4th quarters against good teams. It's like clockwork. We're moving the ball, things are working well, and then once the 4th quarter starts the staff throws it all out the window and goes ultra conservative. And, expectedly, we always lose because of it. He's not going to change. This is who he is as a coach.

This isn't about losing. I can live with losing, especially on the road against a good team. What I can't live with is giving up instead of doing everything you can to win the game.That's what Allen does. He talks a big game. Breakthrough this, breakthrough that. He yells and he screams and acts insane on the sidelines, but when it's do or die, he folds. Every single time. I've seen enough. It's time to cut bait.  

Isn’t he supposed to be a defensive coach? It took Sparty two plays to drive 74 yards to kick the winning field goal. I am not interested in moral victories. Special teams were terrible again. The same issues keep arising.

I’d rather just have a nationally elite offense like we had under Wilson a couple times and a terrible defense. At least we wouldn’t expect anything from the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree here, I've been very patient with Allen but today for me was the last straw. All that jumping around and energy becomes insulting when you show you're afraid to win the game. Feels just like a gimmick, and time is up. Spend the money to go get a real head coach that isn't afraid to make the right calls to win us close games. 

Guess its worth noting. If people want Allen gone, do they want to keep DeBoer as OC? I think I'd prefer to keep him just for the sake of Penix's development/not having a bunch of different OCs. 

His play calling is better than DeBord, but that is an incredibly low bar to clear

Just now, KingPG21 said:

Guess its worth noting. If people want Allen gone, do they want to keep DeBoer as OC? I think I'd prefer to keep him just for the sake of Penix's development/not having a bunch of different OCs. 

His play calling is better than DeBord, but that is an incredibly low bar to clear

Eh, idk. He's better than DeBord, but like you said that's not saying much. I'm not a huge fan of his offense so far. I don't like all the east/west passes. It's not necessary when you have a quarterback who can throw the ball downfield. 

It's taking what the defense gives you. In order to throw the ball downfield, and open up the run game, you have to throw 'east/west" passes. That was a top 5 defense that we scored 31 points on. Offense was not the problem. And hopefully by now you can see the difference in the two quarterbacks. 

It's taking what the defense gives you. In order to throw the ball downfield, and open up the run game, you have to throw 'east/west" passes. That was a top 5 defense that we scored 31 points on. Offense was not the problem. And hopefully by now you can see the difference in the two quarterbacks. 

Agree for the most part. It seemed like we really went either/or and not both. I mean we had drives that seemed to be almost all east/west and nothing downfield then all downfield and nothing east/west. I thought the game plan to get the ball outside, quickly, to playmakers to make up for the lack of a run game was solid.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agree for the most part. It seemed like we really went either/or and not both. I mean we had drives that seemed to be almost all east/west and nothing downfield then all downfield and nothing east/west. I thought the game plan to get the ball outside, quickly, to playmakers to make up for the lack of a run game was solid.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Definitely agree with that!  A few series there it seemed like we were going vertical. Not usually a big fan of throwing across the field, but those couple of throws he made were very impressive. Alot of weapons on that side of the ball. Plus, one minute someone is complaining about Penix not moving the chains, and not giving the defense rest, then they are complaining about moving the chains.

Gonna go ahead and post this here, but Penix is a stud.

BC and Hoosierfan - can we get some agreement now that Penix is the better QB? I didn’t even expect him to play as well as he did yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You won’t get that agreement. They will somehow dodge the argument and come up with another excuse

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Gonna go ahead and post this here, but Penix is a stud.

BC and Hoosierfan - can we get some agreement now that Penix is the better QB? I didn’t even expect him to play as well as he did yesterday.

Yes. I said I wanted to see him against legitimate competition, we did, so now we can move forward. 

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

Look Tom Allen may not be the coach for IU, but this is insane.

He has had back to back the best recruiting classes at Indiana. There are so many freshman and sophomores on the field. He recruited what looks to be the best quarterback IU has had since ARE. And has done more than most IU coaches in their first two year in winning 5 games.

This is Indiana football... what more are you expecting from a program that hasn’t won a bowl game since the early 90s and has only had one winning season since? He has the program headed in the right direction with that talent he is bringing in. But yes let’s just fire him. Give me a break

I said in the OP that it's not about losing the game. It's about a consistent pattern he has displayed over the past 2.5 seasons. We'll be neck and neck with a ranked team and then he'll throw out everything that has been working to go ultra conservative. It's like Groundhog Day. At a certain point enough is enough. It shouldn't be unreasonable to expect the coaching staff to coach to win the game. And this is before we get into all of the little mistakes he makes throughout the course of the game like having to waste a timeout because he doesn't have the offense ready to go on the first play after a kickoff. 

We get it.  There are a few of you who want to fire Tom Allen.  Got it.  We all know what you think the problems are.  People who do nothing but point out problems over and over are just b*tching.

What are your solutions?  "Throw money at it" and "fire him" are 40,000' lazy, elementary solutions.  You're talking about a problem that's existed within Indiana football for 100 years.   I don't want to hear "hire a big name," because no big name is coming here until divisions are re-aligned.  "Throw money" at who?   At what?   Are YOU donating money earmarked for football?   You guys that whine about changing the way the offense played....do you realize the defense adjusted yesterday?  How dumb do you think DeAntonio is?  "Hey., IU has been killing us with the short passes...let's just let them keep doing that!"    My God...how ignorant are you if you believe that?   What football team can you name that's an underdog in a close game against good coaches which is allowed to succeed at the same game plan / scheme for 60 minutes??

Grow up and stop whining.  Your complaints have been noted time and time and time and time and time again.  The problem?  Some of you whined we didn't hire Jeff Brohm.  How we lookin' on that front?    Some of you comically claim Indiana football has regressed.  Even the most ignorant women who rarely watch football can see that's BS.   You're coming up with new problems every time one of your b*tches proves unfounded.  So...let's stop with the b*tches and come up with solutions and spare us all the whining.  No...that's wrong.   I can ignore your whining....do it for YOURSELVES.   You're going to give yourselves ulcers.

Yep.  Way too many mistakes at critical times.  Yes.  Penalties killed us, but they almost killed THEM, too.  Michigan State is a ranked opponent.  They're a good football team.  Indiana is at least even with them and one of the best 35-40 teams in the country.   I don't know what your expectations are, but mine are....about there right now.  We are very limited by our division.  That's a reality you will either accept, or this conversation will be had in 2063.

So okay....."fire Tom Allen."  Hell, fire everyone who doesn't meet your standards.   Fire YOU if you have a bad day at work tomorrow or fail to impress people at your office who don't matter.  The head of the mail room doesn't like it because your stamps are always crooked.  FIRE HIM!!!    What are your legitimate and reasonable solutions?   Good Lord, stop whining.

23 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

We get it.  There are a few of you who want to fire Tom Allen.  Got it.  We all know what you think the problems are.  People who do nothing but point out problems over and over are just b*tching.

What are your solutions?  "Throw money at it" and "fire him" are 40,000' lazy, elementary solutions.  You're talking about a problem that's existed within Indiana football for 100 years.   I don't want to hear "hire a big name," because no big name is coming here until divisions are re-aligned.  "Throw money" at who?   At what?   Are YOU donating money earmarked for football?   You guys that whine about changing the way the offense played....do you realize the defense adjusted yesterday?  How dumb do you think DeAntonio is?  "Hey., IU has been killing us with the short passes...let's just let them keep doing that!"    My God...how ignorant are you if you believe that?   What football team can you name that's an underdog in a close game against good coaches which is allowed to succeed at the same game plan / scheme for 60 minutes??

Grow up and stop whining.  Your complaints have been noted time and time and time and time and time again.  The problem?  Some of you whined we didn't hire Jeff Brohm.  How we lookin' on that front?    Some of you comically claim Indiana football has regressed.  Even the most ignorant women who rarely watch football can see that's BS.   You're coming up with new problems every time one of your b*tches proves unfounded.  So...let's stop with the b*tches and come up with solutions and spare us all the whining.  No...that's wrong.   I can ignore your whining....do it for YOURSELVES.   You're going to give yourselves ulcers.

Yep.  Way too many mistakes at critical times.  Yes.  Penalties killed us, but they almost killed THEM, too.  Michigan State is a ranked opponent.  They're a good football team.  Indiana is at least even with them and one of the best 35-40 teams in the country.   I don't know what your expectations are, but mine are....about there right now.  We are very limited by our division.  That's a reality you will either accept, or this conversation will be had in 2063.

So okay....."fire Tom Allen."  Hell, fire everyone who doesn't meet your standards.   Fire YOU if you have a bad day at work tomorrow or fail to impress people at your office who don't matter.  The head of the mail room doesn't like it because your stamps are always crooked.  FIRE HIM!!!    What are your legitimate and reasonable solutions?   Good Lord, stop whining.

If you have a problem with people expressing opinions different from yours then perhaps a message board isn't the right place for you.  Nothing in your 5 paragraph rant addresses anything that I said in my first post. You consistently ignore what people say so that you can get up on your soapbox and tell us all why you're so much smarter than the rest of us.  You come into a thread titled "Fire Tom Allen" to complain about people talking about... wanting to fire Tom Allen. It's comical. Get off your high horse, Old Friend. 

32 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If you have a problem with people expressing opinions different from yours then perhaps a message board isn't the right place for you.  Nothing in your 5 paragraph rant addresses anything that I said in my first post. You consistently ignore what people say so that you can get up on your soapbox and tell us all why you're so much smarter than the rest of us.  You come into a thread titled "Fire Tom Allen" to complain about people talking about... wanting to fire Tom Allen. It's comical. Get off your high horse, Old Friend. 

So basically....you have no solution and all you want to do is b*tch.   That about right?

You're the guy who spent 2 years telling me how great Peyton Ramsey is and that HE should be the starter, so pardon me if I don't necessarily jump when you ask me to.   Again....I think I'll use my own brain.  

If all you do is b*tch with no solution, perhaps you should worry about something other than what other people think of your incessant whining.    It's not a high horse at all....and I'm not ignoring what you say.   I'm disagreeing with it and you've yet to even come up with a modicum of rational reason why I shouldn't.   How much logic and reason do you need?    Apparently a whole lot.

We don't need another "fire so and so" thread.  It's poison.  Constant barrages of negativity are tiring.  No message board needs that, so perhaps you need to take some of your own advice?   Indiana doesn't need to fire anyone.  Using that as a primary first step when you have a problem is as elementary as it gets.   Any 8 year old can make that statement.  It takes a little more than an 8 year old brain to think through the realities of a situation, see what's really happening at a University or anywhere else, and extrapolate an opinion beyond the two old men in the balcony on The Muppet Show.  

Giving you the reality of a situation and explaining the facts of the bigger picture is a "high horse?"   That's not comical.  That's you living in a bubble of your own reality completely separate from......reality.